Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
epoch.uk

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Simple GPS app ??

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

I've searched but can't find what I need ..

Can anyone suggest a simple GPS program which I could download. I'm not interested in maps, route finding, and all that. All I want is coordindates (and ideally speed and altitude).

Ideally free, and even better OTA install - but not essential.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

no

you can get bbmaps which is free and shows you speed.
under advanced options, gps, you can find the coordinates.
Altitude i think requires a paid program name Spot (does alot of very cool stuff)

but it looks like your not going to find just what you want, good luck and try Stinsonddog's GPS page as it is a great source for info: Stinsonddog's Blackberry GPS Tips
Old 06-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
epoch.uk

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Ok cheers. I was already looking at Spot so I'll give it a go.

I've already got BBMaps installed, and whilst I've got no problem getting a connection to the GPS receiver I can't see any coordinates. I'll take another look in case I've missed something. I wasn't planning on taking a 'proper' look at BB maps til I've sorted internet access thru BES.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoch.uk View Post
I've already got BBMaps installed, and whilst I've got no problem getting a connection to the GPS receiver I can't see any coordinates.
There should be an option to send your location and the email it creates will have the coordinates embedded in a link in the email.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Bump this up.. I am also looking for a simple program. I am coming from a treo and we could use cotoGPS (well for any palm OS device), there has to be a simple one like cotoGPS out there.

If someone is good at programing and can go look at cotoGPS and make a "copy" of that on BB I would be willing to donate via paypal $5-10 and I am sure others will also.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #6
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default bbTracker

Hy, I'm using my first post for a shameless plug

I'm writing a simple GPS application called bbTracker (bbTracker - Trac).

At the moment it

- shows your current latitude/longitude, speed, orientation, elevation
- can record your path, if desired
- exports those tracks to GPX and KML (Google earth).

Later on it should get some more features, but that's currently all there is.

If you don't care about maps and route finding, then this might be for you.

I've just taken a quick look around the cotoGPS homepage and I'm far from providing all those features, but may eventually get there.

Last edited by saua; 07-27-2007 at 02:17 PM..
Old 07-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Cool. My only issue is I am a mac user so I dont know if its possible for you to make an over the air download?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #8
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
Cool. My only issue is I am a mac user so I dont know if its possible for you to make an over the air download?
If you're using a BES, then you can simply direct your browser at the .jad-file and it will install just fine. I haven't had the time to investigate what I have to do for non-BES users yet, and I'm afraid I won't be able to do this.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saua View Post
If you're using a BES, then you can simply direct your browser at the .jad-file and it will install just fine. I haven't had the time to investigate what I have to do for non-BES users yet, and I'm afraid I won't be able to do this.
It installs but i get a verification error 2916 at offset 23a2 when i try and open it.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ View Post
It installs but i get a verification error 2916 at offset 23a2 when i try and open it.
Could you try installing again (btw, there's a new version), but try the jar-file instead? There's a little strange thing going on that I haven't yet debugged completely.

Hopefully I'll figure it out soon and then post some real installation instructions.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:25 PM   #11
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Could you try installing again (btw, there's a new version), but try the jar-file instead? There's a little strange thing going on that I haven't yet debugged completely.

Hopefully I'll figure it out soon and then post some real installation instructions.
Just DL the jar. Install successful... Opened it up and it worked. But if you could copy Coto GPS with the same GUI ect. that would be fantastic.

After letting the 8830 sit and recording some coordinates it seems that the GPS is off by 1/4 a mile but BB maps and google maps pin point my location along with my SirF III based GPS unit. But I will try again when the weather is better maybe the 8830's GPS isnt that good.

Last edited by AndrewAZ; 07-28-2007 at 07:30 PM..
Old 07-29-2007, 12:59 AM   #12
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/114)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewAZ
Just DL the jar. Install successful... Opened it up and it worked. But if you could copy Coto GPS with the same GUI ect. that would be fantastic.

After letting the 8830 sit and recording some coordinates it seems that the GPS is off by 1/4 a mile but BB maps and google maps pin point my location along with my SirF III based GPS unit. But I will try again when the weather is better maybe the 8830's GPS isnt that good.
There should not be any major difference in the quality of the GPS reception, since I'm just using the public API that GoogleMaps and others (probably) use as well. And in my experience the precision is about the same (but it jumps around quite a bit when stationary or moving slowly). Those programs might detect that you are not moving and interpolate accordingly. My experience is that precision gets much better, when moving.

Regarding copying cotoGPS: I will probably not create a 1:1 clone of it, but if there are usefull features and/or views that I can inplement, then I might just.

You could help with that by posting what feature of cotoGPS you liked especially (this is, after all, just a hobby project and I can't spend too much time with it).

You could even file a ticket for such enhancements on the homepage, if you like.

Last edited by saua; 07-29-2007 at 01:20 AM..
Old 07-29-2007, 06:28 AM   #13
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

I like the layout of the coto, the numbers are big and easy to read. I dont know if its just the 8830 but your program all the info is small and in the very bottom.

Right now your program is great just needs to be moved up in terms of orientation. One thing I like on Coto is being able to enter GPS coordinates and having an dot on the compass show you the direction of the coordinates.

But one thing I would take out is the altitude, GPS cant give correct altitude no matter what. I notice on your program it shows I am at negative 1090 feet when my real altitude is a positive 1200 feet.

But again if you can fix the layout and font size and add the ability to enter coordinates along with a compass then you would have one heck of a program.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:47 PM   #14
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

I will add some more screens to be selectable in the future, including one that just gives the current information in a more readable (i.e. bigger) font. At the moment only the single view that concentrates on the track itself is implemented (indeed two more ("speed over time" and "latitude over time") are implemented, but not yet release, you'll probably have to wait till the end of week, sorry ).

Entering waypoints might probably be implemented as well, 'though its not too high on my list of priorities.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:07 AM   #15
AndrewAZ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I will add some more screens to be selectable in the future, including one that just gives the current information in a more readable (i.e. bigger) font. At the moment only the single view that concentrates on the track itself is implemented (indeed two more ("speed over time" and "latitude over time") are implemented, but not yet release, you'll probably have to wait till the end of week, sorry ).

Entering waypoints might probably be implemented as well, 'though its not too high on my list of priorities.
No rush at all lol.. Keep up the good work. I realize putting things together for the BB has go to be a heck of a lot harder than a Palm OS application.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 AM   #16
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/114)

I wouldn't know which is harder, I've never developed for the Palm.

It's also not so much a question of how hard it is (I find it pretty easy and interesting to develop for smartphones/the blackberry), but rather how much time I want to invest in it.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #17
RolandBissell

Carrier: Bell Mobility
Default Help with GPS tracking

I am looking for an application that will run on my Blackberry 8830 and allow me to track and report on mileage travelled rather than having to keep track of my mileage manually. Is anyone able to help? I can be reached at [email address]. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have downloaded BBTracker, and perhaps I am still too unfamiliar with this product, but it doesn't seem to give me what I am looking for. Thanks.

Last edited by RolandBissell; 11-01-2007 at 10:20 AM..
Old 01-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #18
blueman2

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

saua,

I LOVE bbtracker!! It is exactly what I have been looking for. For me, it beats cotoGPS which I was using on my PALM, because of the better outputting of Google Earth (KML) format.

Thanks SO much for the great tool!!

Last edited by blueman2; 01-20-2008 at 11:16 PM..
Closed Thread