BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
chickenbutt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Should I get a 8900?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm interested in getting a Blackberry, but I'm not sure if I should get the 8900. Right now, I'm using a LG KP500 and texting with the touch screen is pissing me off so I'm looking to buy one of these on eBay or craigslist. I'm only going to be using the phone for calls and texting. Would this be the right one for just those two things?
Also, I was looking around and noticed a thread in Carrier Specific Issues called No Web, data or mms on Walmart Family Mobile (T-mobile). Would I need to get a blackberry data plan to get messages? Right now, I just have a plan that includes calls and texts, nothing with web.
Sorry for the lack of a link to the thread above. This is my first post, so I can't link.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Welcome to BBF.

You should take a look at our FAQ for two articles, one on what do you need a data plan for and two, Buying a BB fro eBay. The latter has good information for buying a used BB from any source, not just eBay, as it is quite different than buying a cell or smart phone.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #3
chickenbutt

Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for the help. Got an answer to the last 2 questions. Now I'm just not sure if this would be the one to buy if I'm only going to be texting and calling.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You don't need a BB data plan for text messages as that is a phone app and doesn't use data. For any other messaging such as BBM, etc. you need a BB data plan.

If you just need voice and SMS. there are probably better/cheaper options available.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
ArthurIhde
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: att

i think you should get one!
Old 10-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
zeeshan66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: digicell

welcome. the 8900 was my first blackberry was never using anything this hi-tec before and truly enjoyed the easyish transition. With that said i was never a fan of touch screens and the larger bb's out there...the 8900 was an excellent combination of sleek styling and usability. You'll prob find sooner or later than the amount of features and what this phone is capable of doing could push you to do more than txting and calling. Although at the prices they're at now u wont take a big hit.

I enjoy the 8900 and haven't bothered to upgrade to the 9700 or any other bb. My only issue is of course the trackball..there are issues from time to time it can give trouble but in my opinion it hasn't given me enough trouble to warrant upgrading to one with a optical pad. Check out the reviews online..
Closed Thread