Old 07-16-2009, 03:13 AM   #1
Ghillie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default BB Data Service From BES - Jordan/Iraq

Please Login to Remove!

No way to be very brief about this, but I will try.

Can a BES limit service to a BB by geographical area?

I just traveled to Jordan and Iraq with several people. All had BlackBerrys that operated from BESs in the DC area. Mine was the only one serviced by TMO-Deutschetelekom and a BES in Germany. We also had one commercial Internet only BlackBerry.

Mine was the only BlackBerry that would not get data. The best I could get was gprs and on one occasion, edge (not GPRS and EDGE). The devices, except mine, placed on a table side-by-side, would all work with the several providers in both areas. Mine only indicated gprs at best. Service bars were the same on all devices, though mine sometimes indicated fewer bars, but never less than two bars of strength.

Data Services is set to "ON" and was checked repeatedly and remained at that setting.

BlackBerry trained people in Amman and Baghdad checked the 8800 that I carry and all reported that the device was working, just appeared to be blocked from receiving data service and they were unaware of any way to do that from a BES. You either had International Service or didn't and that control was at the service provider's level.

I am now being asked to certify a bill for the services and I am refusing to pay for the dates 7 - 30 July where the TMO-D invoice reports my last service request and returning service request until someone assurres me that this will not happen again. this is my only control over the situation. As soon as I pay the bill, I have no attention to the matter.

TMO-D's position is that the invoice says that I have full service that includes International Service and roaming so, therefore, all the switches must be thrown and everything is good to go. I am not making fun of them. this is their position!

I maintain that there is either a problem at the BES (if service outside Western Europe can be limited) or TMO-D service level and I really need to know that the problem is fixed before I travel again to these areas. These trips are stressful enough without commo.

Appreciate any help anyone can provide.
Closed Thread