BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
Menotyou

Model: 7520
Default Antivirus

Please Login to Remove!

Just wondering if any of the major antivirus players out there have a product that will work on the BB. Introducing wide spread use of the handheld into the coporate environment here might be a hard sell without it.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

I think F-Secure is the only vendor so far with and AV for wireless phones? Not sure if that includes BlackBerry's or a specific platform but I recall reading somewhere that they do have an offering for the wireless market.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:29 PM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

There are no viruses out there for the BlackBerry; when this has come up in the past, I have offered to write the first BB Anti Virus program (which will do NOTHING since there are no viruses for the RIM OS and it can not be infected by a Windows based virus since it does not run Windows code, and is not subject to any Windows exploit). Attachments are translated to text, and therefore do not "execute" on the BB.

Depending on the number of copies people would like to buy, I can arrange for volume discounts.

THere will, of course, be an annual maintenance fee (free upgrades) for 20% of the original purchase price.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:33 PM   #4
iamchrismullins
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

You may want to consider a few things:
1. the a/v for anything going thru a corp BES should be filtering a/v.
2. If you are fwding any hotmail, yahoo, type mail, there should be a/v filtering there as well.
3. The services provided by @mycingular.blackberry.net should be a/v filtering.
4. If you rcv something that is not from a trusted source. delete it w/o opening.

Hope this helps..

Been there: PDA/Palm/Handspring/Treo, motorola, nokia, t-mobile, BB 970,975,7100, motorola BK devices

Last edited by iamchrismullins; 08-08-2005 at 03:35 PM..
Old 08-08-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
Menotyou

Model: 7520

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchrismullins
1. the a/v for anything going thru a corp BES should be filtering a/v.
2. If you are fwding any hotmail, yahoo, type mail, there should be a/v filtering there as well.
3. The services provided by @mycingular.blackberry.net should be a/v filtering.
4. If you rcv something that is not from a trusted source. delete it w/o opening.
Will definitely be filtering all entry and exit points. I hope that's enough to convince them that it can be secured. I suppose if in the future the BB o/s becomes target to virus writers, the major a/v players will have no choice but to develop something.

thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
There are no viruses out there for the BlackBerry; when this has come up in the past, I have offered to write the first BB Anti Virus program (which will do NOTHING since there are no viruses for the RIM OS and it can not be infected by a Windows based virus since it does not run Windows code, and is not subject to any Windows exploit). Attachments are translated to text, and therefore do not "execute" on the BB.

Depending on the number of copies people would like to buy, I can arrange for volume discounts.

THere will, of course, be an annual maintenance fee (free upgrades) for 20% of the original purchase price.

Say what?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Sarcasm, my good man.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:41 PM   #8
Rancor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7730
Carrier: Zefr

LOL.
don't forget to code in a message to alert the user they were
"just saved from a potential threat, it's a good thing you have me installed .... etc" that randomly pops up once in a while.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #9
Workingmen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

NJBlackberry,
Are you thinking of an OTA download of a program so secret that it does not even show up in the application modules?
Old 08-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Or actually a program that doesn't even load anything at all. But you still have to pay for it. But it will protect you from EVERY BLACKBERRY VIRUS OUT THERE TODAY!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 11:16 PM   #11
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Or actually a program that doesn't even load anything at all. But you still have to pay for it. But it will protect you from EVERY BLACKBERRY VIRUS OUT THERE TODAY!!!
hmm... need venture funding?

...and thats almost a serious question. just think. haha. you and i share a similar and mutual understanding of the customer-base, as exemplified on these forums, so there is obviously a fairly large group of people out there who would pay for said 'services'... care to test the waters on ebay? i don't see how it could necessarily be a 'scam' if the disclaimers and specifications are present. hell, a PIN message could serve as an OTA transfer... haha.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #12
blackberryviruswriter

Model: all

You guys are fooled by RIM. Yes they do make a secure device but anything that can run executable program that can be download off the internet can be exploited.

RIM has made this "code signing" thing. Well what about stolen keys? What if someone hacks it? You can't depend on this at all...it's only a matter of time. Once someone has a signed app you can do just about anything...access your contacts send them to anyone via email or sms and delete them.

W/O signing you can send SMS messages well someoe could wirte a background app that sends mesages for days without you know....guess what most of us pay per sms. Nice suprise on your next bill... it IS possible. Also you can make one of these devices make threads do that and really slow it down and make it imppssible to use and lock up...it can be done.

Maybe someday soon you will see a virus on your blackberry hopefully you will be ready.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:11 AM   #13
AL904
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

I just ran across this:

Quote:
SMobile's Handheld Security Software Protects BlackBerry Users Against Malware Demonstrated by 'BBProxy' Creator
SMobile Offers The Only Anti-Virus Solution on the Market for BlackBerry, Available Now
You can read more at SMobile Systems website.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
alanroot

Model: 7105t

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberryviruswriter
Once someone has a signed app you can do just about anything...access your contacts send them to anyone via email or sms and delete them.
In OS 4.1,

Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications -> Edit Permissions

nice try, though.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #15
Figment
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: TMO

Quote:

When and where can I invest?
Closed Thread