Old 12-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #1
sachin12

Model: NA
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default GPS on BB

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all
I have recently moved to US and am considering buying a Blackberry Pearl or Curve. I wont be typing much emails so qwerty will keyboard is not the prime consideration. One of the consideration for me is GPS support. I understand Curve supports GPS. But will it be good enough GPS to help in guiding the way while driving car. I plan to rent car and will GPS on Curve be good enough that i will need to GPS deive when i am renting the car.

Please suggest.

Thanks
Sachin
Old 12-13-2007, 12:47 AM   #2
flippers

Model: 8310
Carrier: Cingular/AT&&

I just got mine so I don't have the GPS running yet but have you thought of buying a GPS. I bought a Garmin nuvea 200 for about 150.00 and it works wonderfully. I wouldn't part with it. It's voice activated and touch screen and will not let you get lost and it has a memory card slot for music and pictures. It also has places to eat, places of interests, just many options. Just thought I would mention it to you. I love mine.

Nicole
Old 01-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #3
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippers View Post
I just got mine so I don't have the GPS running yet but have you thought of buying a GPS. I bought a Garmin nuvea 200 for about 150.00 and it works wonderfully. I wouldn't part with it. It's voice activated and touch screen and will not let you get lost and it has a memory card slot for music and pictures. It also has places to eat, places of interests, just many options. Just thought I would mention it to you. I love mine.

Nicole
Your BlackBerry comes with a built-in GPS receiver, so you - technically - don't need an additional device for navigation purposes ;)
Old 01-03-2008, 02:18 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin12 View Post
Hi all
I have recently moved to US and am considering buying a Blackberry Pearl or Curve. I wont be typing much emails so qwerty will keyboard is not the prime consideration. One of the consideration for me is GPS support. I understand Curve supports GPS. But will it be good enough GPS to help in guiding the way while driving car. I plan to rent car and will GPS on Curve be good enough that i will need to GPS deive when i am renting the car.

Please suggest.

Thanks
Sachin
If you want the voice prompted turn by turn directions with reroutes then you'll need to subscribe to TeleNav. It's a good app and works well but it's $10 per month.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Mapquest would also be an option...$5 a month, and some folks have posted that they like it better than Telenav. I've used an older version of Mapquest and it seems to work quite well, voice directions, quick re-routing if you go off-course or take another route, and easy to use.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel
Post Telenav

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin12 View Post
Hi all

Please suggest.

Thanks
Sachin
Hi...

John is right as AT&T charges 9.95 for unlimited monthly GPS. There is also a limited service for 5.95.

The Telenav GPS is good but you will need to pre-program your destinations which can be difficult when driving. The turn by turn is adequate and will get you to your destination. It does not have the flexibility and features of the more expensive car units but will get you to your destination just fine. Plus, you don't have to pay for renting the GPS at the car rental company.

Good luck...

H.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:26 AM   #7
jameand
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden View Post
Hi...

John is right as AT&T charges 9.95 for unlimited monthly GPS. There is also a limited service for 5.95.

The Telenav GPS is good but you will need to pre-program your destinations which can be difficult when driving. The turn by turn is adequate and will get you to your destination. It does not have the flexibility and features of the more expensive car units but will get you to your destination just fine. Plus, you don't have to pay for renting the GPS at the car rental company.

Good luck...

H.
Hi, When you guys say, "AT&T charges 9.95 for unlimited monthly GPS," are you meaning to say that you have to pay to access the GPS data from the chipset in any manner (google maps location, third party application access to the GPS communication sentences)? Or are you meaning access to something like GPS based directions services like TeleNav? I would think that it is physically in the phone, I should be able to use it for any program as do users of the 8320 who use a bluetooth puck GPS. I'm just trying to clarify since I'm looking at a 8310 soon.

thanks!
Old 01-08-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameand View Post
Hi, When you guys say, "AT&T charges 9.95 for unlimited monthly GPS," are you meaning to say that you have to pay to access the GPS data from the chipset in any manner (google maps location, third party application access to the GPS communication sentences)? Or are you meaning access to something like GPS based directions services like TeleNav? I would think that it is physically in the phone, I should be able to use it for any program as do users of the 8320 who use a bluetooth puck GPS. I'm just trying to clarify since I'm looking at a 8310 soon.

thanks!
The GPS will work without telenav. You will need blackberry maps or google maps or someother application to use it with though.