BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 10:17 PM   #21
mark.hogan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

First time: reached into the trunk for the orange vest an an accident, berry was stuck to vest and flew to the highway as I put on the vest, (landing in the same lane as the patrol car - bout 12 feet down the road best I can recall). This was the first of several dings and nicks in the blue case. Mental note at that time: to put in cardoor of patrol car at start of shift...

Numerious falls off of the fat belt to floor in restrooms, clips too short for belt width - lesson learned, put it down...or in pocket.

I buy my own handhelds, I continue to be shocked at how well this thing takes falls. I use the blackberry leather case and am looking for a better fit for my new Kramer belt.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:45 AM   #22
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Yesterday getting outta my bronco I thought I had it in the holster good. When I stepped out BB went flying through air hit asphalt, Battery door flew off battery stayed in very nice gouges in the bottom but no worse for wear.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:38 AM   #23
mikej5780
Thumbs Must Hurt

Back in the day...one of our VIP users was typing on her brand new 5810 at a buisness luncheon...well, fingers slipped and the BB decided to take a swim in her iced tea...full submersion. Acted strange for a little while, but after it dried out the thing worked fine.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:12 PM   #24
mpd600

hey c'mon now, my nextel 7520 is plenty rugged, i think it spends more time on the floor than in the holster. It's been kicked, stepped on, and my puppy once bit the antenna and flung it across the room when someone DC'ed. ( guess he doesn't like the sound of the boss' voice). My favorite is when it fell out of my holster as i started down the stairs and bounced down 25 concrete stairs, it alerted my boss and all he heard was it crashing down the stairs before the battery flew out. if it was not for the wall at the bottom of the stairs i think i would have definately had a distance record. popped the battery back it booted fine and there are only a couple little nicks and the screen isn't even scratched. after that i started calling my blackberry the hackysack!
Old 05-24-2005, 03:37 PM   #25
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Very impressive BlackBerry survival feats! Maybe this thread should become a link in my BlackBerry FAQ.

The 7520 is still pretty ruggedized, though I have heard the antenna breaking before (that's more of a 7510 problem than the 7520, though.)

Any other impressive survival feats?
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 05-24-2005 at 03:41 PM..
Old 05-24-2005, 08:03 PM   #26
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

I moonlight as a bartender. One night a bottle of Vodka fell from the High end shelf and vodka got all over my BB. I had one of the drunk girls lick it off for me and it looks brand new. except for the tongue marks all over the screen which i have yet to clean off. Come to think of it, i dont think i ever will. AHHH memories.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:07 PM   #27
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Carrier: Cingular

By the way. Mark, How about picking a winner. ya know just for fun.

Who do you think has the most incredible "real" story. I have read some pretty good ones here. such as the one that dropped 9 feet 7 inches or the one that was run over by a jeep.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:30 PM   #28
cyberhh
Thumbs Must Hurt

My daughter was just learning to use the "big girl pottie" and I was trying to help her out. She climbed up her spiderman steps to the pottie and sat down to do her business, but before she was able to even start she slipped and started to fall. I lurched towards her and bent down to catch her, which I did, she was safe, but there was another casualty of the pottie training war - my 7510 (the fragile model) fell from my shirt pocket (I know - bad idea) and into the "kiddie pool". Well, you know what they say - into every throne a little tech must fall. I reached into the "water" and pulled my lifeline from it's doom, pulled the battery and wrapped it quickly in a towel to soakup as much water as possible, I removed the case back and used a can of air to blow as much water out as best I could, then I put the SIM into my spare phone and left the 7510 in the intensive care unit (my workbench) for the rest of the week.

Good news: the 7510 was fine, not that I know how, and my wife is still using it now.

The 7510 has also been ripped from my holster and fallen to the ground, once fell off the balcony down the stairs, scratched up but fully functional. Very resilient.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:49 PM   #29
Oncoryncus
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofus
Someone, not me, described how they dropped their berry into a urinal while responding to nature's call. It was quite an amusing story, posted some time ago. Maybe the author will repost . . .
Roofus, Is this the message you are referring to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oncoryncus
LOL..I have to recommend you get a better holder than the stock RIM issue plastic doodad. A couple of years ago while using the stock plastic holder I quickly learned that the device is succeptable to popping out at inopportune times.

How can I put this elegantly?

OK, if your belt has less than optimum tension on it and your are located close to, let's say, a toilet, there is a reasonable probability that the BB will do a "Greg Louganis" as the aformentioned unsecured belt is returned to it's normal operating position. While I will acknowledge that certain other parameters may be necessary for this event to occur, such as a moderate fat protrusion on either side of your waist, standard disclaimers apply. (YMMV)

While the dive scored 9.5's or better, the device didn't do well after getting out of the pool.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:19 PM   #30
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Sometimes a BlackBerry doesn't survive exposure to liquids, but that's not always even the end of the BlackBerry. Here's how to successfully resurrect a BlackBerry that's damaged by liquids...

My BlackBerry 7280 was a former Cingular that was damaged by a bath in a dirty puddle sometime ago... I repaired this over a year ago (April 2004) via disassembly and I gave the BlackBerry motherboard a fully immersed underwater bath for 10-minutes in distilled water, and then baked for 2-3 hours at 150-180 degrees F to dry it out. I still use this BlackBerry to this day.

If your BlackBerry ever gets immersed, there's a good chance of recovery if (1) The battery is removed immediately; (2) The BlackBerry is dried out for a few days under an incandescent/halogen desk lamp before you reinsert the battery. This is shortenable to 2-3 hours if you disassemble with a Torx T6 screwdriver and bake at 150-180 degrees F.

Exception is if you get immersion in chlorine or salt water (or salty winter road slush), you must disassemble IMMEDIATELY and wash the BlackBerry parts in water (use tap water if distilled not available) to arrest damage by salt/chlorine. You may only have 10 minutes to do so. You may have to wash the whole saltwater-damaged unit, battery removed, for quite a while under running tap water if you can't find a TorxT6 screwdriver "on time" within 10 minutes or so of saltwater immersion. As this is "Lesser of two evils" as they say - your BlackBerry is going to be broken anyway otherwise. Once this is done, you now have more time, likely a few hours, to dissassemble and purchase distilled water to finish rinsing the BlackBerry motherboard, and then after a 2-3 hour bake at 150-180 F (under boiling point), and then reassemble the BlackBerry. You must detach the BlackBerry screen if possible. (Note: Early RIM8XX/9XX units had fragile screen connectors that got easily damaged by water, when rain went under the edge of the screen. Screen replacements will be required on these units. Newer BlackBerries are much more immune to raindrops accidentally seeping underneath the edges of the screen.)

If your BlackBerry gets wet inside and/or starts acting strange after a recent liquid exposure, it is VERY IMPORTANT that the battery be removed immediately, and never reinserted until the BlackBerry is totally dried out (if you do not disassemble, this may take as long as one week). Clean water doesn't damage the BlackBerry components - electricity in water does!

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 05-25-2005 at 03:25 PM..
Old 05-27-2005, 02:29 PM   #31
tgray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 243b354f
Carrier: AT&T

This one didn't make it...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=9001
Old 06-19-2005, 12:36 AM   #32
MobileRC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300

nm gents.

Last edited by MobileRC; 06-19-2005 at 03:10 AM.. Reason: it was a stupid comment.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #33
Von Maestro

Model: 8230
Carrier: Verizon
Unhappy Not So Rugged Afterall...

I was in my office yesterday & my 7250 missed my holdster while I was putting it back in. It fell about 3 feet onto a carpeted floor & when I picked it up expecting nothing to be out of order, the entire display was messed up!!

I immediately took it to a nearby Verizon store where they said the screen "cracked inside" & there was nothing they could do.

I am VERY dissappointed that such a small drop would mess up a $400 device. I expected A LOT more durability from the BBerry. As least the replacement is only costing $50 because of insurance, but these things should not break from such a small drop onto a carpeted floor!!
Old 06-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #34
jacklarkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Maestro
I was in my office yesterday & my 7250 missed my holdster while I was putting it back in. It fell about 3 feet onto a carpeted floor & when I picked it up expecting nothing to be out of order, the entire display was messed up!!

I immediately took it to a nearby Verizon store where they said the screen "cracked inside" & there was nothing they could do.

I am VERY dissappointed that such a small drop would mess up a $400 device. I expected A LOT more durability from the BBerry. As least the replacement is only costing $50 because of insurance, but these things should not break from such a small drop onto a carpeted floor!!
I've dropped my BlackBerry in a similar fashion (missing the holster) easily 20+ times over the last several years (sometimes even on ceramic floor or pavement). I've never had it crack -- only a few scratches. You must have gotten a "bad bounce"
Old 06-21-2005, 10:31 AM   #35
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

guess it depends on the device mine has taken many a tumble to the asphalt concrete and vinyl flooring of our house we have under construction. Other than scrathches on the corners mine operates fine.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:02 AM   #36
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

My brother-in-laws' 7100g also fell in the drink when he was cleaning his pool. He dried out the battery and battery compartment, and all of the the outside parts as best as he could, and let it sit in the hot Texas sun for 3 days. Voila good as new.

He and I couldn't believe it.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #37
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

It looks like the model 7250 and 7290 may be more fragile than the 7210/7230/7290. The 7250 and 7290 are the ones with a different internal design (32MB, Bluetooth, bright screen) and is about 2 millimeters thicker. The ones that got reported broken are these.

I wonder if RIM is aware that they made the 32MB/Bluetooth models more fragile?

In any case, here's another positive report:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Roy
I was walking down the stairs to the parking garage in my building. I received an e-mail. Pulled it out of my holster and read the message. Standing at the top of the stairwell I went to go place it back in the holster but no! It slipped. Oh no I thought, its going to fall down the stairs! I must do something. In a desperate attempt to save my BlackBerry I kicked my foot out as if to catch the handheld and buffer its fall.

That didn't work as planned however. I ended up kicking my BlackBerry clear down the stairs on the solid cement ground at the bottom of the stairwell. And by kick it I don't been it bounced and hobbled down the stairs, I kicked it clear down the stairs, only striking the pavement at the bottom once.

Watching in dismay as the back flew off, the battery popped out. I casually walked down the stairs, suveyed the damage. It looked fine, just the battery was out. I picked it up, plugged it in and watched the hour glass begin to spin.

That was 3 days ago. It works fine :D
Old 06-22-2005, 03:06 PM   #38
sparkeyben

Model: 7520
Carrier: Verizon

I'm not sure how many of you have one of these holsters or not but it seems to hold my BB 7520 very well. It is made by RIM so it has the magnet in it. The only down side it the clip dosen't rotate. It holds the BB very securley and is soft on the inside so it won't scratch the BB. With this holster all of you that keep accidently dropping it while putting it in the clip wont have that problem any more. I got mine on ebay for $15 plus $5 for shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB holester.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	185  
Old 06-22-2005, 04:23 PM   #39
Mess

Carrier: AT&T

I've dropped by 7280 about 30 times from varying heights. My daughter's tossed it around as well. I'm missing a screw, and it's chipped a bit, but it works just fine. I'm looking to retire it though, for a 7290, but I'm waiting for Cingular to run a promotional.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:52 AM   #40
dangerousbehavior

Model: 7250

I have had some similar falls and drops as already listed.

I've only had my BB 7250 since early this year...
1) Dropped in tub when giving kids a bath. It was fully submersed for about 1.3 seconds before I was able to snatch it out. I dissasembled it, wrapped it in a towel and then grabbed the hairdryer and a blew it dry. I think that was my scariest moment when I thought it would quit working. That was two months ago.
2) Youngest son, bit it and left one tiny tooth mark on it, on the silver lining that rings the screen.
3) Have dropped it twice in shallow (1/2 inch) puddles.
4) Have dropped it at least 15 times, I quit counting after that, usually during the winter (will discuss this below) onto hardwood floor, concrete, gravel and low pile carpet.
5) My second scariest moment and also when I had the biggest audience was when I was in Home Depot, wearing a new jacket that had elastic drawstrings on the bottom (hem) of it to tighten the waist area of the jacket. My BB holster was not properly attached to my belt and as I took my jacket off one of the drawstrings caught the holster. Not thinking I jerked my jacket to get it unstuck. Well I shot (elastic) my BB holster and all, about four feet in the air and then another 7-8 ft away from me into some metal shelving. The BB popped out of the holster and rebounded back towards me about a foot.
There were five people in the aisle and they all saw it hit the shelving. They also heard me say, "Crap!" rather loudly as soon as it went flying and that is probably why they were watching. It was sort of comical in that everyone stopped what they were doing and watched me walk over to the BB pick it up and check to make sure it was still functioning. It was. Everyone gave a chuckle and smile and we went on our way(s). Too bad I couldn't think of something funny to say.

As a side note: I think I drop or shoot my BB out of its holster the most often when my hands are dry (which tends to be in the winter) as I don't have a good "natural" grip. I have started to use a little lotion now, some non-smelling non-greasy lotion and it seems to help.
Closed Thread