Old 04-15-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile
Default Disable Security After Leaving an Organization with BES

Please Login to Remove!

It took me quite a while to figure this out but thanks to some good people and a lot of posting and PMing I finally found an answer. I hope this works for everyone else as well. Here is what was doneto allow me to set my own password parameters and install third party applications which were both originally controlled by my BES IT Policy even after I left the organization and could not get them to push me a default policy to reset my HH and give me back control.

This is intended for users that are not on a BES and have Desktop Manager installed using BlackBerry Internet Service and not

BlackBerry Enterprise Server using the Redirector. If Desktop Manager was installed as BES I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling.

First a few quick notes on my specs: 7100t on T-Mobile using BIS exclusively (now)

1. Create a policy.bin file using a policy.inf and the ITPolicy.exe using the parameters in the attached txt file for the policy.inf.
How to Create a policy.bin:
1. Create policy.inf file (rename policy.txt to policy.inf from the attached file)
2. Open ITPolicy.exe
3. On the file menu, click Open
4. Select the policy.inf file from the directory you stored it in
5. On the Action menu, click Generate
6. Click OK to confirm that the policy.bin file has been generated in the appropriate directory
7. On the File menu, Click Exit

The file should have been created in the same folder as either the policy.inf or ITPolicy.exe (if they are in the same directory it will definitely be in the same directory.
2. Wipe Handheld using Options/Security/Wipe Handheld (from Menu)*
* This will delete everything but the OS from your HH so back everything up.

Note: You may also have to totally wipe the handheld by typing the password wrong until it blows up and reloading the OS4.0. Search the forum for instructions on this if needed.

3. Place the policy.bin that was created in the C:\Research In Motion\BlackBerry directory

4. Create a Registry entry in the HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Policy Manager subkey as a String Value named Path with a value of the C:\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\policy.bin

5. Open Desktop Manager (if it was already open you need to close and reopen)

6. Connect via USB cable and this should set the policy to the settings noted above.

Note: You may need to manually go into Security and change the Password option to Disable.

The hardest part in all of this is finding a kind soul to create the policy.bin file if you do not have access to the ITPolicy.exe. Thanks to all that helped in my efforts who will remain nameless unless they decide to post future messages.

Also, I will not be providing the policy.bin as it was not created by me and do not feel that it is appropriate for me to distribute this without the consent of the individual that provided it to me.

I hope the instructions are helpful to others that obtain the appropriate policy.bin

7100sib
---------------------------------------
Power to the owners (of course only after you are no longer on the BES, then Power to the Man)
Attached Files
File Type: txt policy.txt (3.1 KB, 902 views)
Old 04-16-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
ocman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Smile

Anytime Friend.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:02 PM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

For people who are interested in doing this, please keep the requests for ITPolicy.exe off this thread. ITPolicy.exe is property of RIM and licensed to owners of a BlackBerry Enterprise Server. To post the application to this website would be, to be blunt, illegal (and quite dumb).

The policy.bin creation process outlined above (step 1) is intended for those who have access to ITPolicy.exe (which means you would be a licensed owner of a BES or know someone who is licensed).

If someone would post a policy.bin file up and then follow steps 2 through 6, I do not see that as being any sort of violation of laws and/or Research In Motion's EULA (although I am no lawyer and have not really read the fine text of said agreement).

I just want to keep the requests from those who tend to ask a lot of questions to a bare minimum (preferrably none) due to the sensitive legal nature of this particular process (step 1's application requirements).

Thanks for sharing the information with the community, however. Its always nice when something new can be added to the library.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:59 AM   #4
eblv426

If it is ok, can someone who may have access to create a Bin file, please upload.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:11 AM   #5
mjjr

If anyone wants to help someone out with the ITPolicy.exe..... that would be great... you can communicate to me via email: [email address]
Much appreciation for any help!
Old 04-21-2005, 10:45 AM   #6
Talldog

Model: 8330

Prior to v4, a policy.bin file could only replace another policy that was created with a policy.bin file. A wireless policy could only be replaced with another wireless policy. Has this changed?
Old 04-21-2005, 04:43 PM   #7
ocman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

I created the BIN file for him. Im the BES admin from a large company. It does indeed work. I have tried it on several of my devices.

I created him the file and Im using it as well for issues that arise. It works like a charm.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:06 PM   #8
mibo14

Model: 7750

Hi All..... I'm new to the forum, but appreciate the great information provided. Unfortunately, I am in a similar situation as the other posters on this thread. I have just upgraded from my verizion 7750 to a new cingular 7100g, and am having difficulties removing the existing security policy on the 7750. I would like to clear this policy so that I may sell the now unused device. If anyone could help me out by sending me a "default" policy.bin file (to [email address]), I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Again...
Old 04-25-2005, 08:42 PM   #9
JCT

Model: 7100V

Likewise, if there is any kind soul who would send to me as well, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks
James

Last edited by JCT; 07-08-2005 at 10:42 AM..
Old 04-27-2005, 10:50 PM   #10
diveganesh

Model: 8700
Carrier: cingular

yes, would appreciate a copy of policy.bin that allows me to disable the password. thanks. email [email address]
Old 04-27-2005, 10:52 PM   #11
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjjr
If anyone wants to help someone out with the ITPolicy.exe..... that would be great... you can communicate to me via email: [email address]
Much appreciation for any help!
just curious, but are you a dimwit? did you not read what i posted just a few posts above you?! for ****'s sake!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 PM   #12
Pharma
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
Carrier: cingular

I had a thread on this a while back, search is a wonderful tool. I'm still getting people that pm me about sending them the file. Good thread, should search for it....but the detail you posted is superb, just didn't have the time to post so much detail. I didn't realize you were the guy who pmed me earlier, but I guess you did search then, hope my posts helped point you in the right direction. I actually found my policy when I was a bes admin and sent it to you today, but just realized you were the one who started this thread.

Need help? ...just ask

Last edited by Pharma; 04-28-2005 at 08:15 PM..
Old 05-03-2005, 09:52 PM   #13
JCT

I've still got a lovely Blackberry, works well as a phone, but useless at email because I still can't get a blank policy.

Could someone please, please, please send me a policy.bin file to upload to get me back on line again?

Thanks
James

Old 05-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #14
mjjr

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
just curious, but are you a dimwit? did you not read what i posted just a few posts above you?! for ****'s sake!
I am indeed a dimwit... I suppose I am not as much of a stickler for adhering to innane policy as you must be. I felt that if someone made a concious choice to email me ITPolicy.exe (someone who would obviously have access to it and thus be a BES admin.) that they would be assuming any liability... which in the case of sharing ITPolicy.exe once, to one person, for personal use, would be at best considered a minor infraction upon any sed agreement between the corporation who liscensed BES and RIM.

A dimwit indeed.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #15
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

[email address] Thanks
Old 05-09-2005, 10:54 PM   #16
7100simpleisbetter

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile
Default Disable MDS

So far, the only thing that seems to be set in my policy that was not removed by the policy.bin created from the attached file is the ability to Disable MDS. When I try to disable it get an error that Disabling MDS is not allowed based on my current policy. If anyone knows the tag to add to the policy.inf file for allowing the ability to Disable MDS please reply and I will test and update my original post with the fixed policy.inf.

Any help is appreciated.

7100sib
Old 05-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #17
gerritlegrand

Model: 7100t
Smile policy.bin file

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman
I created the BIN file for him. Im the BES admin from a large company. It does indeed work. I have tried it on several of my devices.

I created him the file and Im using it as well for issues that arise. It works like a charm.
Could you send me a copy of your blank policy.bin file?
Thanks and regards,
[email address]
Old 05-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #18
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

I think someone should delete this entire thread... but that's just my opinion.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:17 PM   #19
PhilMax

Model: 7100g

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107
I think someone should delete this entire thread... but that's just my opinion.
I agree. Who knows how 'legit' these requests are? I am certainly not accusing anyone, but someone who found a lost BB, or who stole one would make the same request, would they not?

Who says they can't teach an 'old dog' new tricks!
Old 05-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #20
JCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilMax
I agree. Who knows how 'legit' these requests are? I am certainly not accusing anyone, but someone who found a lost BB, or who stole one would make the same request, would they not?
Do you think the average petty criminal is going to bother trying to crack open a blackberry rather than steal something that has immediate value.

All I am trying to do is use the blackberry that I spent a lot of money on, and now is no more use than a mobile phone, because I am unable to remove a policy imposed on me by my previous employer.

But still no-one helps me.....

Closed Thread