BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #81
jmwking
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I'll pile on, in a more general way. (Better late than never!)

Broadly speaking, IT management involves two duties: to protect their company's interests and to provide services and support to their users - on time and within budget. Protection comes first, and sometimes it's from the very users they're supporting.

In the days before PCs, IT (aka MIS) had centralized, obscure, easily protected systems. Since the networked PC came, IT has had to balance creative freedom and flexibility for the user with security for the company. For a while, the balance favored freedom (c.f. Christensen's Disruptive Technologies), but those days are long since over. The security threats, both internal and external, are simply too great.

External threats make the news all the time: theft or loss of equipment, data, or resources though carelessness, insufficient security, or by a trojan horse or virus unwittingly brought in by an employee. IT trains their users but the threats morph faster. Companies must have strong technologies and policies in place to protect themselves. This includes firewalls, et al, and prohibiting unmanaged equipment from accessing their network.

Internal threats are less publicized but frequently more dangerous to the company. A disgruntled employee may leave, taking tons of intellectual property with him. He doesn't have to be tricked into it; it's a deliberate act. Companies need strong technologies and policies for this, too. At my last company, we sued - successfully - a former executive and his new company - a competitor - for stealing a data dump just before he gave notice.

Every VPN connection is a potential vulnerability. Every gigabyte not controlled by IT is a potential threat. Personal computer equipment, flash drives, and pocket sized gadgets all can have more storage than a ca. 1995 server: these are all potential threats that your IT people have to balance with supplying you with productive work tools.

It's not necessarily a personal vendetta against you, but rather a necessary approach to protecting your company's interests. Your IT folks don't have experience with your phone; supporting unusual hardware takes time (hence money) and may open unexpected vulnerabilities. Accept their answer (graciously). Then advocate for them to get the resources to add it to the supported device list. (I bet they'd love to have one to play with.)

-jk
Old 12-12-2008, 01:35 PM   #82
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Referring to IT people as Nazis is always a bright thing to do here...

Akosnitzky, you are wrong. Many companies - at least those with decent security departments, do not allow BIS to poll their Exchange servers.

Many companies also do not allow personal devices on their network.
I did not realize they can block. Thank you for sharing.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 12-12-2008, 01:48 PM   #83
Jase88
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PlayB
Carrier: Bell Mobility

OP: If you've already got a Blackberry on the BES, simply use Desktop Manager (connected to the BES) to switch devices for you.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #84
CanuckBB

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
OP: If you've already got a Blackberry on the BES, simply use Desktop Manager (connected to the BES) to switch devices for you.
BES can be setup to only accept from specific device types or specific PINs
Old 12-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #85
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Quote:
Gen Y at its finest.
Hey now, I'm offended by that comment LOL

God I can't beleive I missed out on this great thread!!

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #86
curriertech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
I have given you much advice as to why companies enforce IT policies. You refuse to accept that with the response "but it is a personal device".
I don't allow personal Blackberries on our BES, supported device or otherwise. Period, end of story. It saves me from having this very (rather long at this point) argument with anyone.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:47 PM   #87
omkhar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

A moment to weigh in... if panda is even listening anymore....

Airing grievances with your company's IT dept, their policies, and (from what I gather) their inability to communicate those policies clearly to their constituents is pointless in this forum. Speak to your IT dept.

The next time you decide to buy a new piece of technology, which you hope to access corporate DATA with, check with the IT dept to ensure you're aware of the policy.

DATA. That is the important thing here. Not your BlackBerry, not the email, not the BES, DATA. Your company, and subsequently your IT department, has a legal responsibility to protect the data. Financial Data, Credit Data, Personal Information. Since your company has to protect this data, they also have the right to decreed whatever control measures they want.

Legal liability. If its your device, you *MIGHT* have a legal mandate that you can do what you want with the data on your device - depending on which state/province/country you reside in. Thus restricting your use of company data on company devices ONLY might be a question of liability, as they wouldn't be able to legally restrict the use of a personal device.

BES admins can audit your BlackBerry for ANYTHING they want. So, your BES admin could read personal email, look at who you've sms'ed, see where you've visited on your BlackBerry...etc. So it's two fold, liability if your IT admin sees person info s/he shouldn't, and it's kinda invasive in terms of your privacy

Long story short - you feel pissed off because you can't use your personal device to be more productive at work. Its just how it goes. Company data, company rules.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #88
papaguya

Model: 9530

So I guess i'll just stick to lurking since my posts get deleted after 15 mins. Thanks mods...
Old 12-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #89
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

One of your first posts and you insulted someone.

Not a good way to get started. Lurk away.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:56 PM   #90
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaguya View Post
So I guess i'll just stick to lurking since my posts get deleted after 15 mins. Thanks mods...
Your posts were personal attacks and not acceptable. I think you know that you crossed a line.

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 12-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #91
papaguya

Sorry, didn't realize "stupid user" was a personal attack. Now I know why I stopped posting on forums. BTW, "stupid user" is an endearing term we use to refer to people that just don't know any better. I can't believe I have to defend myself here...
Old 12-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #92
CO_BBTechie

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaguya View Post
Sorry, didn't realize "stupid user" was a personal attack. Now I know why I stopped posting on forums. BTW, "stupid user" is an endearing term we use to refer to people that just don't know any better. I can't believe I have to defend myself here...
I can't believe you're still arguing this. Stupid user, when used among IT folk may be common, but to come out and call someone stupid on this forum will not be tolerated. Get over yourself and stop whining.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #93
papaguya

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
I can't believe you're still arguing this. Stupid user, when used among IT folk may be common, but to come out and call someone stupid on this forum will not be tolerated. Get over yourself and stop whining.
LOL. You win. Unreal.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #94
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Wow! This thread ends just like it began.

Closed now.
Closed Thread