BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 05:18 AM   #1
Tdcompton
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
PIN: 30FD7282
Carrier: Verizon
Question Do I wait for the upgrade... Or just go buy it??

Please Login to Remove!

Okay... I am quite torn between waiting until November when I am eligible for a phone upgrade thru Verizon, or just going to buy the BB Storm.

I was weighing the option of the iPhone but decided to stick with BB after I was told that you can't even pic msg from an iPhone... (is this true?) I also like the flexibility of being able to add whatever applications I want on my phone w/o having to choose from ones that Apple has "approved".

The price is a bit steep IMO.. There are a lot of things I could spend my $200 on, so the idea of a possible price cut if I wait until November is tempting...

My Pearl is still working just fine... So it's not like I even NEED a new phone.

Opinions? Input?
Old 03-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (3G= Chuck Norris Speed)

Let the addiction have its way!

Checkout the buy/sell/trade section perhaps buy a used storm

Yes it is true the iphone cannot natively send mms!
Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Tdcompton

Am I the only one who thinks that a phone in this day and age that cannot send MMS is a bit ridiculous?! We've been able to do that for years now on much cheaper phones... Just wait until I see my friend who has been raving about her iPhone and give her crap for this one! lol

Anyways...

There's something kinda scary about buying used electronics... I just can't bring myself to do it with my photography equipment either :/
Old 03-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

If you think your Pearl will make it another nine months, wait. Not only will you get your Upgrade discount from Verizon, the base cost will likely have gone down a little as well...and you'll likely have benefitted from having an enhanced OS already onboard.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Tdcompton

My Pearl is running fine... I think I probably wait, I'm a tightwad with my money. lol
Old 03-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I dont know how easy it will be to get a a Storm for $200 without a contract. Check out Dyscern

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 03-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdcompton View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that a phone in this day and age that cannot send MMS is a bit ridiculous?! We've been able to do that for years now on much cheaper phones... Just wait until I see my friend who has been raving about her iPhone and give her crap for this one! lol

Anyways...

There's something kinda scary about buying used electronics... I just can't bring myself to do it with my photography equipment either :/
Steve Jobs answered critics of the iPhone's lack of MMS capabilities by saying that everyone now has email so MMS is unnecessary. Dontcha just love when His Steveness makes these bold (and often completely unfounded) pronouncements? As an Apple fan and long-time Mac user, I've witnessed my fair share of these from our guy in Cupertino. The best was at some of the old MacWorld shows, when Steve Jobs would announce a new product, and the engineers had given him a date by which Apple could realistically have the product out the door. He'd pause, smile, and announce a completely different date. Just pull one right out of his butt! The folks backstage would groan, roll their eyes, and start frantic phone calls and emails to their departments back at Apple HQ.

Lack of MMS is crazy nowadays. Being able to snap a quick pic and send it to a friend is considered a basic function of almost any mobile phone. It's an assumption, not an added feature. Millions of people have older phones that don't do email, so without MMS you have only voice or text communications.

The other mystifying failure of the iPhone is copy/paste. How does a smart phone NOT do this in 2009?! I use copy/paste all the time. It's a huge part of how I work. This feature alone is a deal breaker for me. I may be the only Apple fanboi on planet Earth that doesn't own or ever plan to own an iPhone. Not even tempted to try one. But that's just how I roll.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:53 AM   #8
Tdcompton

Well I'm glad to hear that at least the group here isn't caught up in the bs... My friend is ridiculously caught up in it.
Closed Thread