BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
zel

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default New to Storm/Verizon. Miserable, does it get better?

Please Login to Remove!

I've had 3 previous BB's and loved them, especially my Curve/T-mobile. Where the SIM holder connects to the phones circuit board, it broke and I figured it was a good time to upgrade to a Storm. I did just that, and after roughly 2 weeks, I am regretting it. I used to be able to type on my curve with one hand, very easily. Now, the phone constantly tries to suggest words for me while typing and it seems difficult to get out of the word suggesting screen without having it type the wrong word.

Also, it seems like even when I engage the "lock" button, and put the phone in my pocket, it magically unlocks and presses a bunch of buttons, calls people, opens random apps, etc.

I also hate how the screen wont lock during a call, so I cant just hold the phone to my face with my shoulder.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me deal with my Storm issues, or would it be best for me to bite the bullet and try to find a Curve owner to trade with?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Bulgaro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by zel View Post
I've had 3 previous BB's and loved them, especially my Curve/T-mobile. Where the SIM holder connects to the phones circuit board, it broke and I figured it was a good time to upgrade to a Storm. I did just that, and after roughly 2 weeks, I am regretting it. I used to be able to type on my curve with one hand, very easily. Now, the phone constantly tries to suggest words for me while typing and it seems difficult to get out of the word suggesting screen without having it type the wrong word.

Also, it seems like even when I engage the "lock" button, and put the phone in my pocket, it magically unlocks and presses a bunch of buttons, calls people, opens random apps, etc.

I also hate how the screen wont lock during a call, so I cant just hold the phone to my face with my shoulder.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me deal with my Storm issues, or would it be best for me to bite the bullet and try to find a Curve owner to trade with?

Thanks in advance!
First things first Welcome to the forum

Your typing habit will need some adjusting on your part, I believe you can change the word suggestion in the settings . If you click on the screen away from the text being typed the blue box with the suggested word will disappear .
There is a program TalkLockxxx8482; (BETA) Touch Screen Lock for BlackBerry® Stormxxx8482; that should help you out with your sreen lock issue. I have not tried it myself, but I'm sure some users here have . I have not had a problem with it daling or launching apps while in lock mode in my pocket although I wear loose jeans (not baggy) . Hope this helps and may I suggest browsing around and doing some searches on any other problems you may have . There is a lot of information and most likely answers to questions you may have.

Last edited by Bulgaro; 03-09-2009 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: Top Secret
Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Arcangel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

No it doesnt thats why many are returned including mine!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

It took me about two weeks to get used to it, and it's hard for me to turn back now to the Bold or Javelin I also have.

--Get TalkLock, it works.
--Turn off the predictive text.
--Use a holster to solve the butt dialing.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
hytek369

i hate mine. still waiting for a firmware that will solve the laggy boggy software.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
zel

Thanks for the welcome and replies. I've just changed the keyboard settings and enabled the multi-tap for txting. I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Does anyone know how Verizon responds if you decide within 30 days that you dont want the storm? I really think I'd be better off with a Curve. I dont really get into all the apps and gadget programs. I dont even know how to get them or load them. I just like to be able to get my work email with pictures on the phone. I thought the bigger screen on the Storm would be a huge help, because part of my work involves looking at pictures to give estimates and respond immediately.

Another minor irritating detail I dont know how to fix is this...
On my old Curve, if I received email or txt, the alert sound would happen 3 times. On the storm, it only happens once. If I miss the sound, which I do often, I only find out when I physically look at the phone and notice the red LED blinking. Is there a way to make the alert sound happen multiple times when the message arrives? and can it remind me in 2 minute increments there after?

Last edited by zel; 03-09-2009 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 03-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Profiles. Edit them.

But why worry if you aren't keeping the device. ;)
Old 03-09-2009, 11:42 PM   #8
mud.pony
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

The issues you are talking about are minor issues. That can all be fixed really easily. The biggest thing I had to get used to was the touch/click screen itself. I have had the storm pretty much since its release and Im just now really getting comfortable with it. My fingers have learned just how to tap it & I can fly thru things now. especially with OS .109! even on my nursing programs & stuff.

If you arnt willing to play around with it then go trade it in before your 30 days is up so you dont lose money & such. Its all about personal preference anyway.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
suicidepact
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

One suggestion for your auto correction problem: add tons of commonly used words AND names to your custom dictionary and change the number of letters it takes for the auto correct to invoke. I have mine changed to seven letters and that works fine. I would turn it off but I don't think you can. Good luck!

Last edited by suicidepact; 03-10-2009 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: typos, typos, tyiepoezz
Old 03-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
Nyce Daytona
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: 249E6792
Carrier: AT&T

One quick question. Exactly where do you turn off predictive text? I cant seem to fing it anywhere. Thanks in advance
Old 03-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
mpeppers

Carrier: verizon
Default i felt the same

while not a long time BB user i did have a pearl prior. when i first got the storm the first thing i did was read here and other places how it was not good etc. i thought i had made a mistake. but after using it a while and tweaking it, updating it and altering the settings by researching on boards like this i have come to really like my storm.

i like the keyboard settings at the top and i dont stare at the screen and get mad when it lags .2 seconds behind my typing. it is what it is. once i quit letting it upset me i love the phone.... im checking back to this thread to see how to change the number of letters etc on word recognition
Old 03-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
Razo681

I can say I like the storm so far. When I first tried it in Nov, I didn't like it. Now I don't see what the complaining is. You have to take time to set it up to fit you and get used to it. If you're used to typing with one hand I wouldn't have gone with a touch screen. Maybe it was easier for me because I have a Ipod Touch.

As for Verizon. They told me that if I wanted to return it and the unit had less than 10 mins logged on it then they would take it back no questions asked. If it had more than 10 mins, they charged some type of restock fee. Hope things get better for you.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
nkappes

Model: 8530
PIN: 31580BDF
Carrier: vzw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyce Daytona View Post
One quick question. Exactly where do you turn off predictive text? I cant seem to fing it anywhere. Thanks in advance
go on to messages so that you’re writing a text ,then press the menu button,then select enable multi tap, Enabble full keyboard whatever you want to choose. hope it helps.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
rhn1975
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VzW

With regards to the screen lock while one a call I did install the software from cellavant.com and it works really well. At least it will solve your second problem. Typing will take getting used to..
Old 03-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #15
mpeppers

Carrier: verizon
Default changing the number of letters needed

suicide i assume when you talk about changing the number of letters needed to create a list of words that apply its in spell check? thats the only place i found a character number selection. i think that helps thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #16
ocgreenmachine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon BIS

I found that it did take a little bit of a learning curve to master my storm and to get all the settings to my liking.

-get Talklock. It is free and gives you a finger-drag bar to unlock the screen during phone calls... It also accesses you voicemail without having to type in your passcode when you call voicemail andthen drag the bar to unlock the screen.
-try using password lock on your phone to avoid accidental phone calls, or use a holster... I use the leather holster that came with my 8830 and it fits in my pockets just fine
-for your spellcheck problem, go to options/spellcheck and uncheck the "check spelling as you type" option... That might help you avoid the pesky text suggestions.

Hope you find these tips useful.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

It gets better, much better, but not good enough for me.

I returned mine. Too many fatal flaws.
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 03-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #18
cubanitoloko23

Model: 8530
PIN: 314D10E8
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
For the typing issue, if you notice when in landscape mode there is a bit of a separation between letters TGB and YHB. If you use your left hand for any letter behind TGB it will almost never mess up you typing. Same goes for your right hand, use it only for letters behind YHB. I did this and almost never mees up my typing, try it.
as far as the screen not locking during a call, you should really use call lock. Call lock is free and can be found here on the forum, the good thing about it is that ass soon as the call engages the screen lock as the name implies but if you need to use the screen let say for pressing a number or lette all you do is slide your finger on the screen and it unlocks.
For your final issue, the locking of the phone while in your pocket. Spend 15 bucks and get a holster just like with the curve, it has the same magnet and it will put the phone to sleep, no more dialing while on the pocket.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #19
zel

Thanks guys. I was able to solve all of my problems by calling verizon and telling them I was completely unhappy with the Storm and would like to trade it in for a Curve. They said this is very common, and to bring it in. I did and now I'm a much happier Curve user...again.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #20
Frisco
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Alltel

Quote:
Thanks guys. I was able to solve all of my problems by calling verizon and telling them I was completely unhappy with the Storm and would like to trade it in for a Curve. They said this is very common, and to bring it in. I did and now I'm a much happier Curve user...again.
Nice to see a happy ending.

I started a thread in here, "Please rate your feelings about Storm" a few days ago, not having seen this thread.

I've been wavering, going back and forth in my deciding whether or not to get one.. at last glance I was just about ready to go ahead and get one (I have an 8330 Curve now and like it a lot but am intrigued by the big screen on the Storm for web browsing).

This thread pulls me back to not wanting one now; mainly because it occurs to me that the device seems to require a bit much beyond just configuring to one's liking.. it also wants one to put up with slowness, etc.

I will play with one at the store, but I'm not as enthusiastic about it now.