Please Login to Remove!

Old 12-07-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
marcK
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Old 12-08-2004, 01:16 AM   #3
elvall

Old 01-31-2005, 04:12 PM   #4
mustangdvx

Default Decryption Failure Please Regenerate Key?

Hey Guys,

I got a blackberry 7510 off of ebay a couple of days ago and I am having a bit of a problem. About every 30second to 1 min I get this error message pop up.

"Decryption Failure Please Regenerate Key"

On the blackberry support pages it says:

The encryption key information on the handheld differs from what is stored on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server™.

The problem is that I am not running BES. I installed operation system 4.0 and desktop manager 4.0.

Any Help????
Old 01-31-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Just try resyncing with the desktop manager and that usually resolves stuff like that.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
mustangdvx

I went into intellisync and clicked sycronize now and it did nothing.

Sorry for the noob cluelessness but is that what you meant?
Old 02-23-2005, 08:03 AM   #7
cargodog

Last edited by cargodog; 12-11-2005 at 06:57 AM..
Old 05-17-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
kevpmcl

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default Having the same issue

I just got a 7230 off ebay and installed version 4.0 on it. I am getting the same decryption failure popping up once in a while and cannot get rid of it. I also wiped and re-installed no help. This is driving me nuts!! Anybody have any ideas what can be done or am I stuck. I am not set up with BES so I am not sure why this in happening in the first place. Thanks
Old 05-18-2005, 05:18 AM   #9
mrclic

Model: 8800
Carrier: SFR

Hi all,
I have same problem with a 7290 and an old 6720 with V4.0 on it and a bes 3.6.
They cannot send mail and they have problem to generate encryption key.
I manage many solutions and It'll only working by downgrading the os to 3.6.x
But I find the solution tomorrow by reinstalling the old desktop manager version 3.6 SP3. And then it works fine. So you can try it.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:45 AM   #10
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

FYI, I don't know if it's directly related to this problem, but it appears there's a bug in Desktop Manager v4.0 that causes manual encryption key generation to not work properly. The symptom we've seen is a transaction error - decryption failure when trying to send from the handheld. The only fix was to remove/readd the PIN. SP1 has just been released to fix it.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:59 AM   #11
mrclic

Model: 8800
Carrier: SFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog
FYI, I don't know if it's directly related to this problem, but it appears there's a bug in Desktop Manager v4.0 that causes manual encryption key generation to not work properly. The symptom we've seen is a transaction error - decryption failure when trying to send from the handheld. The only fix was to remove/readd the PIN. SP1 has just been released to fix it.
Thanks for this news, and we can download it at www.blackberry.com

Last edited by mrclic; 05-18-2005 at 06:20 AM..
Old 05-18-2005, 12:00 PM   #12
kevpmcl

Default Still driving me crazy

I installed service pack 1 update for desktop manager but no luck for me. I only have the blackberry internet service options installed. I have also always been able to send and receive e-mails through my blackberry internet e-mail address with no problems. My phone works fine other than that annoying "decryption failure please regenerate key" coming up every once in a while. I dont have any of the BES software for the desktop manager installed so they isn't any options for me on desktop manager for decryption keys at all. When I go to options and then security to check services, the phone shows no services, which it should because I am not set up on the enterprise service and I have not done anything with enterprise activation. Nor do I plan to. I just want to keep blackbery internet service and stop this annoying error from popping up. Thanks for all who have and are giving input on this.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:42 PM   #13
ldblf2

I think this is a common problem with Desktop 4.0 after 30 days when you first have to regenerate the key. Here's what I did to resolve it:

1. Uninstall desktop 4.0
2. Install desktop 3.6
3. Change Redirector security to "Generate keys manually" (and don't ever regenerate the key!)
Old 05-19-2005, 12:26 PM   #14
tmobb

Model: 7290

Download the Desktop Manager 4.0 SP1 from RIM to fix this issue, it's discussed as a fix in their releases notes for SP1
Old 05-19-2005, 04:41 PM   #15
kevpmcl

Default Redirector Question.

I don't have redirector installed. I didn't install because when it asked which version of desktop software to pick I picked the one that show Blackberry Internet Service. I did pick the option for Blackberry Enterprise Service. Should I un install and then go back and pick the other type of install to get redirector loaded onto my computer. I didn't think I needed it since I only use the internet and do not have a corporate e-mail address. Thanks
Old 05-22-2005, 12:47 PM   #16
OrcP

Model: 7780

The handhelds you bought on eBay may have come from a user that was on a BES. If that BES server still has that handhelds PIN number on a users account, any APB or IT Policy sent to all users would be sent to the eBay bought handheld as well. Because you don't have an up-to-date encryption key from that server, whenever one of those messages reaches the handheld it is going to spit back a decryption failure.... at least in theory.....

You can erase the handheld and desktop software until you are blue in the face, but the messages are coming from the server to the PIN number, which will never change.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:52 PM   #17
tmobb

Model: 7290

to remove any old bes it policies, you can just add your BB to any BES and send the empty "default" policy to the unit and it will get rid of all of IT Policies that might be there on the device.

if you are on Blackberry Web Client, deleted the Webclient Service book and resend the service book to the haldheld.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:37 PM   #18
kevpmcl

Ok cool. I will give it a try and see what happens. Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:56 AM   #19
Seosamh

Model: 7100v

I was getting this also on my 7230 with 4.0 handheld code on it...it stopped when I went options>security> scroll down and highlight services within security>then press roller and go "Regenerate Encryption Key"

Mine was working off a 4.0 BES though..and I believe even when a enterprise device has been wiped/nuked/killed it still retains some security settings from its time on the BES.

Dunno if this will be of benefit but give it a go anyhow.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:41 PM   #20
Hatte

Model: 7750
Default policy change caused error..

I'm in the middle of setting up a number of 7750's on a new 4.0 BES for my company. Changing the policy in an attempt to fix another problem, i changed "Disable 3DES transport crypto" to true, after it didn't fix the problem i changed it back to default, but now I'm getting the error "decryption failure, please regenerate key." I've been googling for fixes all day and haven't found a solution.

I've tried everything I can think of as a fix:
nuke/wipe/kill handheld from Blackberry Manager.
wipe bb/regenerate key from BB.
changing the key generator to manual doesnt help, it just pops up the error again.

Sending any email or policy from BES to BB results in the error showing up, and sending email from the BB just shows a large red X next to the mail.

I am running basic 4.0 without service packs or hotfixes. Can anyone suggest a fix or workaround i can use?
Closed Thread