siva.guduru
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 0000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA
Exclamation Blackberry known virus names

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

please send me some information regarding any known virus that you people have come across for blackberry.

iwant some 5 virus names that blackberry got affected in recent times.

Regards,
siva guduru.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

None that I am aware of
Old 12-13-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8800: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

You're gonna be searching long and hard.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #4
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

I think you are getting Windows Mobile confused with Blackberry

Good luck on your search!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:34 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Please let us know how many (0) that you find.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
shogunmaster

Model: 8830

I'm a security professional and the only thing that I am aware of is the presentation at the Blackhat/Defcon Conference two years ago about a trojan that was developed for the Blackberry called bbproxy.

This trojan has not been very prevalent but it proves that something like this can be done. I think we should be careful not to install random applications just like on PCs.

"'CrackBerrys' get cracked
Attackers aren't spending all of their time on Vista. Some of them also are thinking about ways to exploit devices such as BlackBerrys. Jesse D'Aguanno, a consultant with Praetorian Global, unveiled BBProxy at Black Hat, a hacking program he created that takes advantage of the trust relationship between a BlackBerry and an enterprise's internal server to hijack a network connection. Intrusion detection systems (IDS) deployed at the network perimeter would be useless against this type of exploit, he said, because the data tunnel between the BlackBerry and the server is encrypted. BBProxy must be installed on a BlackBerry or sent to one as an emailed Trojan horse. Once installed, the program causes the BlackBerry to call back to the attacker's system in the background, opening a communications channel between a company's internal network and the attacker. D'Aguanno plans to release BBProxy for download sometime in the next week."
Black Hat notebook: Flying under the radar

BlackBerry vulnerability, mobile viruses are real threats
Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Can be done is totally different than HAS been done.
Many organizations disable the ability to load third party applications.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:24 AM   #8
siva.guduru

Exclamation one clarification needed if possible

Hi,

as of now there is company calld s-mobile that claims that it has developed a blackberry antivirus product called AntiVirus Gaurd and claims that it is the first company to have developed a antivirus for blackberry.

so, i am wondering that on what basis have these people constructed/developed a antivirus program, when there is no effective virus for balckberry.

SMOBILE SYSTEMS

it would be of great help for me, if some one cane help me to find more information regarding this.

Thanks & Regards,
Siva Charan Guduru.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:36 AM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I offered many years ago to write a BlackBerry AV problem. It doesn't have to do anything, so it would be easy to write. I wouldn't charge much, as the problem didn't actually DO anything.

PT Barnum...
Old 12-17-2007, 06:36 AM   #10
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva.guduru View Post
Hi,

as of now there is company calld s-mobile that claims that it has developed a blackberry antivirus product called AntiVirus Gaurd and claims that it is the first company to have developed a antivirus for blackberry.

so, i am wondering that on what basis have these people constructed/developed a antivirus program, when there is no effective virus for balckberry.

SMOBILE SYSTEMS

it would be of great help for me, if some one cane help me to find more information regarding this.

Thanks & Regards,
Siva Charan Guduru.
Did you happen to notice that on the SMobile site's Virus Threat Center, they list the Windows Mobile and Symbian platforms, but no BlackBerry platform? Wanna take a guess why?

Old 12-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #11
siva.guduru

Exclamation yeah....y was that

Yeah...
i observed that RIM platform is not mentioned in there....i thought may be RIM does not like to expose much about it's platform so it is not listed there, also S-Mobile it does not want to expose it's technology as well, as it is very hot in market. Is my guess right? or is there some other reason.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:38 AM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

You are guessing. So far I can agree with that.

You should look for another platform to discuss.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:37 PM   #13
SheepDog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: ask if you need it

sounds like snake oil to me. BBproxy has a very limited reach. It will only work *if* a bes admin allows such third party app folly on a corp BB. Most I bet wont. It is worthless if on a BIS BB.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:17 AM   #14
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Even if 3rd party applications are allowed, there are ways to restrict what the 3rd party application is able to do. For example, it may not be allowed to open a connection to the corporate network.

BBProxy is 100% useless on a government BlackBerry, for example.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 12-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #15
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

A useful post I made on HowardForums:
My HowardForums Post about the nearly-do-nothing BlackBerry "antivirus" product

Quote:
[Regarding the existence of S-Mobile antivirus]

They are simplly exploiting the fact that one proof-of-concept malware app called BBProxy merely exists, as a means to justify the existence of the BlackBerry antivirus product. It's essentially a virus definition file of possibly only 1 semi-malware product (as far as I know), compared to the many thousands for a PC. BBProxy is almost not even a trojan horse because it's hard to get to install on a BlackBerry, and even harder to do so unintentionally. Plus, many BES's block all third party apps, so everything becomes impossible to install without sysadmin permission, even BBProxy, on say, a government BlackBerry. This may be reassuring to companies, but there are much better and cheaper ways to block BBProxy. If there were many dozens of different semi-functioning trojan horses like BBProxy, then maybe it justified. But as of right now, they are exploiting fear in the market.

Similiar snake oil "take-advantage-of-market" FUDware (software that takes advantage of FUD) product as McAfee ViruScan for Palm from back in Year 2000. As one commenter says, "Just a few days after the first PalmOS virus and they've already got a product out. The conspiracy theorists can go wild with this one!". After 7 years, how many PalmOS viruses are there -- still not even enough to justify the need for most corporations to install antivirus on Palm devices. Now, when it comes to BlackBerry, BlackBerry is at least a couple orders of magnitude safer than Palm because BlackBerry Enterprise Server is far more powerful than any antivirus product -- it has the ability to block 100% of all third party software (legitimate or otherwise) from being installed on a BlackBerry, without authorization by the sysadmin of the company running that particular BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). BES also has software whitelisting/blacklisting capabilities too, and can even force application permissions such as banning third party software programs from being able to do TCP/IP (except for whitelisted apps) - no TCP/IP, no network, no filesystem access -- thus no corporate LAN access.

There may be a niche for detection of unauthorized software, but that's presently BES's responsibility. There are plenty of ways to do that with BES, and it is very easy to block BBProxy via BES. As it stands now, there is no better BlackBerry antivirus software than BES itself, and the maker of BES is RIM itself -- the maker of BlackBerries. BES gives you gargantuanely powerful remote control reign of your own company's BlackBerries -- you're the king of your own company's BlackBerries -- you can use BES to even remotely kill your own BlackBerries if they ever gets stolen, for example. Spy on them, control them, push software to them, remotely delete software from them, remotely upgrade them, log their usage, etc. And many add-ons and plug-ins to make BES even more powerful. Companies, corporations, goverments, love all that.

Just set your BES to block third party software, and -- presto, no antivirus needed. Or whitelist a list of applications you don't mind users to install (Google Maps, Opera Mini, etc) and then it is possible to restrict the permissions of these applications to not access your corporate LAN, but only be able to access the outside Internet only. (while giving these permissions to only authorized intranet apps). And companies who need to give their BlackBerries more permissiveness (let employees install reasonable amounts of unexpected third party software) but still be able to spy on what's installed and such -- a better product may be an unauthorized software detection utility rather than calling it full blown "antivirus", or some application that remotely asks the sysadmin for authorization to install software, etc. Even so, there's already techniques and methods to do things similiar to these kinds of things now...
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 12-21-2007 at 11:29 AM..
Old 12-23-2007, 10:29 PM   #16
silentmax

Model: 8700
Carrier: starhub

ive handled thousands of blackberry issues and never once have encountered a virus issue. look if there is ever a virus(knock on wood) it would show up here first

BlackBerry Technical Solution Center
Old 12-23-2007, 10:43 PM   #17
BoostedSupra
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 242035eb
Carrier: att

in4snakeoil
Old 02-05-2008, 02:51 AM   #18
siva.guduru

Exclamation Snakeoil?????

Hey what is this snakeoil everyone is referring to......is that some kind of process or malware

please provide some iformation on this.

Regards,
Siva.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:19 AM   #19
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva.guduru View Post
Hey what is this snakeoil everyone is referring to......is that some kind of process or malware

please provide some iformation on this.

Regards,
Siva.
Snake Oil refers to any fraudulant product which is described to fix a problem that doesn't really exist.
You can read more on Wikipedia.
Snake oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Closed Thread