Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
andrewleitch86

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile (UK)
Default MDS instead of additional data plan

Please Login to Remove!

I've searched for this for ages and can't seem to come up with an answer to my question. I'm looking at getting a Blackberry in the near future and having found out that wireless PIM syncing is only possible with BES I've decided that I'll probably get an Hosted Exchange/BES plan through ExchangeMyMail for about £10.00.

The costs all rack up with £25-35 for the call package, £10.00 for blackberry service, £10.00 for Exchange/BES and £7.50 for Web'n'Walk which gives unlimited data.

My question is about trying to lower these costs. From what I've seen having BES with ExchangeMyMail gives MDS which gives internet access. Do I need to pay the extra £7.50 for unlimited carrier data through their APN if I'm on BES and have unlimited data through the Blackberry APN?

Also does anyone know if you have to pay any extra to use BES with T-Mobile in the UK.

Thanks

Andrew Leitch
Old 08-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

MDS doesnt provide internet access. Only your cellular carrier can do this. To leverage MDS or BES services you have to have a BlackBerry Enterprise data plan. Sorry, but the extra costs are manditory when using these services with a BlackBerry.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Mr. Fisher is the boss. He is correct and a gentleman too.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
andrewleitch86

Model: none
Carrier: T-Mobile (UK)

I've just discovered that if you get a web'n'walk plan with T-Mobile the Blackberry charge decreases from £10.00 to ~£6.00 so it will only cost £3.50 to add the web'n'walk. I think this is what I'm going to do now.

Any T-Mobile UK customers able to comment on wether or not I need a different service to use BES. I know that T-Mobile in the US and other US networks have a different charge for being on BES but I can't find anything here on T-Mobile UK that would suggest any charge for upgrading the service. Also does anyone know if it is even possible on an individual, non-business, tarrif to use BES with a T-Mobile plan.

Thanks

Andrew Leitch
Old 08-21-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
gjminer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: The Cloud

yes you need a data plan

MDS is a feature of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server that enables applications beyond email and Personal Information Management (PIM) to securely establish http network connections behind the corporate firewall
Old 08-31-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
iCoder

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi. I have just bought a BB Curve 8300. First time BB user. I am with T-Mobile in the UK and I had the £7.50 unlimited web and walk data plan so I thought that this is all that was required and all I would need is to buy a hosted blackberry solution from someone.

However, I have just come off the phone with a T-Mobile engineer (tech support) who told me that I had to pay for the blackberry service through them and just having the data plan was not enough. They offer a BIS solution but this only sync email.

For full syncing of mail, calender, notes etc. you have to buy their BES solution which is reduced from £35 to £10 a month if you have a web and walk package integrated into your talk plan. This BES service then allows you to have full OTA syncing but you still need to get and get hosted blackberry services from somewhere.

You also can't even surf the web without buying one of their blackberry packages ie. BIS or BES.

Bottom line is that if you get a blackberry with T-Mobile, my understanding is that you have to pay this extra surcharge just to use the data services eg. web browsing on top of your blackbeery hosting elsewhere.

Hope that's helpful.
Closed Thread