Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
avanden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T
Default Can't open attachments on 8800

Please Login to Remove!

I tried searching to see if there's already been a thread on this, but I didn't see anything so.....

My boss has an 8800 and I've been trying to fix it for him for the last 2 days. For some reason, he can't open any email attachments. They're just PDF and Word documents that are under the max 8MB. The email will show "x ATTACHMENTS", but when we highlight that, there's no "Open attachment" option in the menu like there should be. We verified the attachment service is loaded in the phone so that's not the problem. We even tried taking the battery out for a minute, then put it back in and let the device re-register itself but that didn't fix it either. He's with T-Mobile so I called their support and their Blackberry people couldn't figure it out either. They were going to call RIM to see if there's something we're overlooking and then call me back but I never heard back from them.

And if that wasn't enough... On longer emails it will say "more available" at the bottom, but when we select "More" or "More All" from the menu, it doesn't show any more of the message like it should.

Why is it doing this? It's really annoying me and my boss. He travels a lot so we need to get this fixed ASAP.

Hope someone here can help!
Old 07-16-2007, 08:10 AM   #2
avanden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just wanted to bump this in case someone might be able to help.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:57 AM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Take a look at beamberry.com

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
swerveit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanden View Post
I tried searching to see if there's already been a thread on this, but I didn't see anything so.....

My boss has an 8800 and I've been trying to fix it for him for the last 2 days. For some reason, he can't open any email attachments. They're just PDF and Word documents that are under the max 8MB. The email will show "x ATTACHMENTS", but when we highlight that, there's no "Open attachment" option in the menu like there should be. We verified the attachment service is loaded in the phone so that's not the problem. We even tried taking the battery out for a minute, then put it back in and let the device re-register itself but that didn't fix it either. He's with T-Mobile so I called their support and their Blackberry people couldn't figure it out either. They were going to call RIM to see if there's something we're overlooking and then call me back but I never heard back from them.

And if that wasn't enough... On longer emails it will say "more available" at the bottom, but when we select "More" or "More All" from the menu, it doesn't show any more of the message like it should.

Why is it doing this? It's really annoying me and my boss. He travels a lot so we need to get this fixed ASAP.

Hope someone here can help!
you running it on BES or POP3/IMAP?
have you got any other divices you are running in the company?
has it ever worked or has it just recently gone sketchy?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
avanden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerveit View Post
you running it on BES or POP3/IMAP?
have you got any other divices you are running in the company?
has it ever worked or has it just recently gone sketchy?
It's on POP3 from what I know. Not sure how long my boss has had the device (I've only been here 4 weeks... I think he got the 8800 shortly before I came on board). I think he's had this problem from the start though.

What do you mean by "have you got any other divices you are running in the company?" A little confused there.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
tricky_ott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers

You might want to cradle the device and check with Desktop Manager Apploader
if he has BlackBerry Attachment Service is checked off. In the newer devices (like my curve and 4.2 software) it was an extra check mark needed to actually be able to open attachments.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
avanden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ott View Post
You might want to cradle the device and check with Desktop Manager Apploader
if he has BlackBerry Attachment Service is checked off. In the newer devices (like my curve and 4.2 software) it was an extra check mark needed to actually be able to open attachments.
I tried that already and it shows the attachment service is already installed on the phone, so it didn't give any options to load it in the desktop manager.

I'm starting to think it's a wonky phone that needs to be replaced.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
swerveit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I tried that already and it shows the attachment service is already installed on the phone, so it didn't give any options to load it in the desktop manager.

I'm starting to think it's a wonky phone that needs to be replaced.
my advise is wipe it down and start again , if it then still doesnt work you got a sketchy phone,

options>sercurity options>" press blackberry button with dots" wipe handheld> enter blackberry>

leave for a bit see if it works?
bare in mind you will need to set it all up again as this truly wipes EVERYTHING so do a back up of your contacts/info
Old 07-18-2007, 09:03 AM   #9
avanden
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerveit View Post
my advise is wipe it down and start again , if it then still doesnt work you got a sketchy phone,

options>sercurity options>" press blackberry button with dots" wipe handheld> enter blackberry>

leave for a bit see if it works?
bare in mind you will need to set it all up again as this truly wipes EVERYTHING so do a back up of your contacts/info
Ugh. My boss is not going to want to do that. He's got hundreds and hundreds of contacts in his phone!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:43 AM   #10
Client App Support
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

There was something about attachments on the Verizon FAQ page. Not sure if this will help or not.

Answers to FAQs
Old 07-24-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
swerveit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Ugh. My boss is not going to want to do that. He's got hundreds and hundreds of contacts in his phone!
not a problem! back it up using the BlackBerry desktop software. when restoring it use the advance feature only restoring the address book, notes appointments bla bla ...
if hes allready got it synched to outlook you wont have a problem as when the device is reset he will synch it up to Outlook everything will be back on.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #12
infoe

Carrier: Sprint

how is he receiving the attachments...if it is from the mail redirector as i just learned you can NOT open the attachments through there...try setting up a gmail or aol account and sen an attachment through there...at that point you SHOULD be able to open those attachments
Old 07-24-2007, 11:01 AM   #13
greenhand

Carrier: Sprint

I just answered this for you on this thread...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tachments.html

"The Playboy Mansion, strip clubs, whorehouses,....I go where the meetings are."..Ari Gold

Closed Thread