BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: If you are or have been a Curve user, what is your opinion?
I agree, fantatisc device 39 88.64%
NO, I hate it, absolute rubbish 0 0%
Well, the 8800 is better 4 9.09%
I prefer the Pearl 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
josue
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Carrier: O2 UK
Default I love it

Please Login to Remove!

All right,

First, apologize if there is a dedicated post already, as I have checked and havent found anything.
Most of the posts being dedicated to raise and solve issues, thanks by the way as it helps a lot, I thought I could write something to help or even convince those who are still hestitating or wondering whether they buy or not the Curve.

Let's start then with the conclusion: this is a stunning device, go and buy it, don't hesitate anymore!

I had a 8700g so far, on T-Mobile in the UK. This was already a great handset, I am sure everyone will agree.
Well, the Curve is smaller, thinner, with a nice camera, the body is really good quality, and the trackball is just the best thing ever featured on a phone; as navigating is smooth and easy.
I am using my phone for professional purpose but I have to admit that it plays well in the perso category, however I am not a teen and do not fancy adding loads of stuff and softaware, so you guys might choose an other device it you recognize yourself in the teen category ;)

I actually don't really know if the OS is new or only updated but at least there are a few new functions since the 8700g, as for insance you can add a picture to your contacts, and it displays once you get a call, nice.

Battery autonomy is at least as good as the 8700g, but I can't tell yet as I have it since July Friday 6th.

What I did first before anything is updating the OS, as I heard about the calendar issue syncing with outlook.
In case you wonder, more info here, this is easy and straight forward even for non-advanced users (like myself!) : UPDATE OS

Once done, I have setup my work account, and my yahoo account, directly from the Email setting tool on the BB: EASY! (btw I am on BIS)

Then I have installed and un-installed a few things, here is the list:

- Theme used: BB dimension icon
- Wallpaper: choose your favourite free wallpaper here, best free and exhaustive selection here: WALLPAPER (use the search tool, browse categories, there is a lot to see)
- Blackberry Messenger: obvious, really good, but you need BB friends, otherwise try Google Talk or Yahoo Messenger. (both free)
- Blackberry maps: removed, and replaced by Google Maps, far better to my opinion and I am used to it too.
- Yell.com: the UK mobile soft for yellow pages, really good, simple, usefull, and efficient; summing up quite well the initial purpose of me having a BB.
- Viigo: the absolutely perfect mobile RSS reader, I have got an unlimited data plan with o2-UK, quite cool (though only GPRS, not EDGE). check-out the free download here VIIGO
- Mobipocket reader: with a few dictionnaries.

Once important thing to know:
I have also find out one new feature of the OS, which is the possibity to create folders on the home screen menu so that you can move applications in, and then sort your icons as you wish. ***don't use this***, as you may end up with the folder disappearing with no reason at all!
It happened to me, as I had even put the options icon in, so I couldn't go to change the theme to sort it out, and pulling the battery didn't work either, I had to use the Switch Device Wizard to get my 8700g settings on the Curve in order to see the icons again. Then I recommend not to do it. Maybe there is another solution, or even a patch, no idea.

That's all, really. I hope I helped those who browse this great forum and the internet in general before buying, so you have a clearer idea and can go straight to the shop.

cheers
josue
Old 07-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #2
c3po25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: 212D4E69
Carrier: T-Mo

I love my curve. I have had the 7290 and the 8700 (never had the peral, can't stand suretype) and the 8300 is by far the most complete devide for me so far. wouldn't trade it for anything else!!
Old 07-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

8700g fo' life! I say this just because I don't have one yet
Old 07-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
macallik
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: askMe
Carrier: AT&T

I've had 7520, 8700g and now my curve. I love it.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I guess I'm just flakey enough to have both the 8800 & 8300. I swap off every week or so...but if I had to pick, I'd choose the Curve. Fits better in my hand, easier to navigate one handed, louder earpiece and speaker volume that equals louder ringtones and alerts, a litte faster browser, better keyboard (personal preference), not as slippery as the 8800 (rubberized trim pieces)...and, I guess it also has a camera although it's not the best.
Closed Thread