BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
infoe
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default sprint 8830 syncing with work outlook?

Please Login to Remove!

sorry for asking the n00bish, age old repeated question, but ive searched high and low and I feel my situation is a little different.

My job uses outlook, the usb ports on the pc's are disabled, there is a BES service of which only the regional managers and above are given BB phones attached to the email. Lastly it is on an exchange server and you can check it form the web.

I had a setup before that worked well with my windows mobile phone, where I was able to autosync and download my messages,contacts,calenders real time WIRELESSLY back and forth from pc to phone.

I basically want to be able to get my work email to the phone, and sync calender's and contacts (BB still has no phone numbers saved) with my BB.

Hope I was not too convoluded in my question but any help would GREATLY be appreciated
Old 07-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

So is it a case where your job won't allow you access to the BES server, or is it that they just give out BlackBerries to the Regional Managers and above for access while others would have to buy their own BlackBerry? If it is the latter case then I would just ask the IT support to add your BlackBerry to the BES server and then everything would sync.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
infoe

Im pretty sure they wont allow access to the bes server its only for regionals and up...I was however able through activesync to automatically sync with the outlook server...also i still have not installed the desktop sofware manager on my pc which I at least can do (install programs) the cd just says initializing all the way through...so im manually downloading it as we speak.

another note...the bb asked me...can you check your email from the web as in, is it on an exchange server and i put in the information there as I would log in to my email from the web and it still did not sync up.

any thoughts?
Old 07-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

My corporate e-mail is accessible via a web interface, but it is just to check e-mail; it doesn't sync anything.

I believe you may need to use the BlackBerry Desktop Redirector program. It can be installed with the Desktop Manager program. I am not really at all familiar with the setup of it (as I use BIS and BES) but I believe it will allow you to get your corporate e-mail in the event you don't have access to BES. Try and do a search about it in the forums.

Update: I was able to look this up and it looks as though the Desktop Redirector is an application that works with Microsoft Outlook to forward messages to your BlackBerry. It sounds as though once Outlook receives a message the Desktop Redirector will then forward it to your BlackBerry. And, of course, you can just use the Regular Synchronize module in the Desktop Manager program to sync your contacts and calendar. Again, this is making the assumption that your Microsoft Outlook program is configured to connect to your corporate e-mail.

Last edited by jeremyckitching; 07-13-2007 at 03:19 PM.. Reason: New information found
Old 07-13-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
infoe

I was able to setup the correct settings for the outlook web acess settings...but its not allowing me to send or receieve emails...its telling me this device is no longer able to access the emails and it is most probably due to a change of password...the password has not been chaanged and im sure im using the right one...which would lead me to believe the BB can not sync up with my WORK email through the web access. can you concur that?

Im still in process of downloading the BB desktop manager onto my work computer, I just hope i'll be able to do everything wirelessly
Old 07-13-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

You are correct: the web access will NOT sync anything with the BlackBerry.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
infoe

Looks like I'm SOL...its saying I can not install software because I am not administrator...I doubt now I will be able to check email unless I look at it through browsing the web...which is a hassle and I won't be doing...this is bad news for me.

I do not know if I should log a ticket to allow them to install the blackberry software, or log a ticket to request access to bes server.

*edit* I logged a ticket to have them install the software on the pc, I think that would be easier to get done. Let's see what happens

Last edited by infoe; 07-13-2007 at 03:37 PM..
Old 07-13-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

I would do both. Check to see if you can get access to the BES server then, if not, ask them if you could get the BlackBerry software installed on your computer. If they say no, then at least you are no worse off then you are now.
Old 07-13-2007, 03:40 PM   #9
infoe

thank you very much for your help, I will submit a request for the BES...do they need any information from me or my phone? Im very new to BB and I only understand basic concept of bis vs bes...but if they do grant me a bes login I will get with you so you can show me how to set it up.

Thanks,
Old 07-13-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

If they set you up on BES they may need your BlackBerry PIN number. I believe you can get that by going to Options > Status.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
infoe

ok, somehow I got them to allow me access to install the program on my work pc. Ive been following steps as best as I can and I see blackberry desktop redirector running and trying to sync.

Couple of questions
how is the desktop redirector different from being on the bes?

They have my pin information as it is on the program and I HAD to usb connect to sync (dont know if it was only first time, still in process)..can they see my other information as well?

should i leave my work pc on, so that it can re-direct the emails?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:49 AM   #12
MadhatterPDC

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

You will need to leave the PC on in order to use Redirector.

If you are a remote user (outside sales for example), then you are probably using a VPN to connect to the corporate servers, and the VPN probably has a time-out limit that will automatically log you out and disconnect your Outlook then Redirector will have nothing to redirect.

Also, I am going through a similar situation (Regional Managers and above are given Blackberries) and found out that corporate policy does not allow personal equipment to connect to the BES.

So I am using my personal e-mail accounts on the Blackberry, and will continue to schlep my laptop with aircard when I am on the road for the company.

I can't wait for my company to issue us stumps a Blackberry, then I will have TWO!
Old 07-23-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
infoe

im in outside sales but i manage the department so I am here at my office full time. I do not need to VPN into the office because I can check my email from the pc (web based exchange). I am lucky enough though that I got the mail redirector program up and running on my pc...My PC stays on unless I shut it off so I am in good shape. thanks for all the help everyone
Closed Thread