Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
JReedy

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Taking apart the 8300 Curve?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys / gals, first post here. I'm new to the whole BB thing, re-upped with AT&T and got myself a BB 8300. I was applying the screen protector from Best Skins Ever when I noticed a small amount of water going near the keys from the water soap mix you use to put them on. I used distilled water so there isn't much in the way of minerals, we wash PCB's with DI water all the time in the electronics industry so I figured it'd be far more harmless than tap water.

Anyhow, being a dummy I used some canned air to blow the water away from the keys and lo and behold the angle must have just been right because a fine spray of water went between the LCD and the front screen cover DOH! Now they've gone away (evap'd) however there are very very faint (probably faint because I used DI water) spots which can be seen when the unit is off. Fortunately you can't see anything with the screen running...they're so faint the spots are imperceptible. However, being a perfectionist I'm all for wiping them off if I can figure out how to disassemble this thing w/o breaking it.

How hard is it to take apart the 8300? If I'm going to trash it trying to get it apart I'll shine it, the spots are hard to see when the unit is off and impossible to see with it on. I found pics of it apart, but no step by step instructions showing what screws to remove, where to pry...where the tabs are that hold the halves together etc.

Does anyone have a lead on something like that?

Thanks In Advance,

James R.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:56 PM   #2
snowskier79
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.

James, welcome to the forums! There are not any disassembly pictures/instructions yet attached to these forums however keep your eyes on blackberryfaq.com as someone will post those pictures soon (hopefully).

Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ

Cheers and best of luck!
Old 07-05-2007, 12:13 AM   #3
JReedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowskier79 View Post
James, welcome to the forums! There are not any disassembly pictures/instructions yet attached to these forums however keep your eyes on blackberryfaq.com as someone will post those pictures soon (hopefully).

Main Page - BlackBerryFAQ

Cheers and best of luck!
Thanks man, appreciate the reply. I'm really floored there's not a basic set of instructions out there yet...hasn't thing thing been out since Sept of this year?

This is one of those areas I'd rather not blaze new territory esp given that the spots aren't visible in normal use, it's really a non issue. If it turns out it's easy to tear apart I'll get in there and make it perfect again...otherwise I'll shine it and leave well enough alone.

Regards,

James R.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:17 AM   #4
snowskier79
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReedy View Post
Thanks man, appreciate the reply. I'm really floored there's not a basic set of instructions out there yet...hasn't thing thing been out since Sept of this year? . . .
Actually the 8300 "curve" came out about a month ago on AT&T in the States and on Vodafone in Europe about the same time.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
JReedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowskier79 View Post
Actually the 8300 "curve" came out about a month ago on AT&T in the States and on Vodafone in Europe about the same time.
Ahh newer than I thought then. I could have sworn it was older, maybe I was reading something about when the 8320 is coming out. Not sure how much of that is real Vs pie in the sky, 3G, WiFi, 3MP Camera etc etc...

Regards,

James R.
Closed Thread