Old 08-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t
Default "error backing up databases"

Please Login to Remove!

All,

Today I attempted a backup using DM and got this error: "error backing up databases". I did the battery pull, and also a reboot of my pc. But still the error persisted. DM version is 4.5.0.15

After fiddling with the advanced menu in DM, I found that there was a problem database called "Browser Data Cache". This database had 8 entries, but for some reason, it would not backup. I used the "clear" feature in the advanced DM screen for this one database and all seems to be well now.

Has anyone had this problem? Did I do the right thing by "clearing" it with DM?

- devnull
Old 08-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, you did the right thing. I've seen this happen with the Profiles database, too.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Yummy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone Ireland

Many thanks for this thread! I had a problem with backing up my Curve today, I was getting "error backing up database(s)" message today, It always occur when the DM was backing up the profiles, so I did what devnull did (cleared the profile database in advanced menu of DM - it had 6 entries - after I used the "clear" feature only 5) and it is working now. ;)
Old 08-29-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
Airik

Model: 8310

OK so first off, first post *waves. Been installing/un-installing/editing files as I play with my new toy, with forum guidance thankfully. BTW JC, you have been on top of every issue I have had. Keep up the good work . And now this morning I'm having this "error backing up database" issue as well. Sounds like a quick fix, only my newb-ness is holding me back. So... How do I get to the "advanced menu" in the DM? I'm assuming DM is the Desktop Manager? I see no advanced settings there. I'm sure the answer is simple, but my head's been swarming with all this new info since I got this phone :D
Old 08-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
Airik

Model: 8310

ooo I figured it out. Knew it was easy lol. OK so now the question is, what was the problem in the first place?
Old 08-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #6
sheldonbk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Yes, you did the right thing. I've seen this happen with the Profiles database, too.
Is it safe to clear the profiles database?

Sheldon
Old 09-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

i also had this problem, deleted the browser cache in the advance menu and it backs up fine now.

but i have another problem, every time i connect my 8310 to dm, it pops-up a message about update versions for the device (4.5.0 Core Apps, Basque Language Support and Password Keeper)....

but when i select update now, it says no software update is required for the device (after working), then i can only go back to main menu.

this happens every time i plug the phone in and start DM.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:32 PM   #8
sheldonbk

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
i also had this problem, deleted the browser cache in the advance menu and it backs up fine now.

but i have another problem, every time i connect my 8310 to dm, it pops-up a message about update versions for the device (4.5.0 Core Apps, Basque Language Support and Password Keeper)....

but when i select update now, it says no software update is required for the device (after working), then i can only go back to main menu.

I had the same problem as did others. I can't recall the solution but search for "Basque" and you'll find the related thread(s) with the answer.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
zero7404

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonbk View Post
I had the same problem as did others. I can't recall the solution but search for "Basque" and you'll find the related thread(s) with the answer.
i went into the apps in dm, checked Basque and it updated the phone. not getting the message any more in dm, but not sure what prompted the update message as i had not updated to another 8310 version or anything.....
Old 10-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #10
mdoog3

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Hi, I am getting this same error message "error backing up databases" and it's failing on Profiles. When i go into the Advanced menu under Backup and Restore in DM (i think this is the "advanced" menu you guys are referring to) the Profiles database is greyed out and there is a message at the bottom of the window that reads.

"Databases that are unavailable in the list have been configured for wireless synchronization or wireless backup and are read-only. You cannot restore or clear them."

Any ideas? I am using BES and have my work email setup on this device.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldonbk
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Is it safe to clear the profiles database?
Safe in the sense that you won't break the blackberry. All settings will be default afterward. Any personalization you did will be gone.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:28 PM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoog3
Hi, I am getting this same error message "error backing up databases" and it's failing on Profiles. When i go into the Advanced menu under Backup and Restore in DM (i think this is the "advanced" menu you guys are referring to) the Profiles database is greyed out and there is a message at the bottom of the window that reads.

"Databases that are unavailable in the list have been configured for wireless synchronization or wireless backup and are read-only. You cannot restore or clear them."

Any ideas? I am using BES and have my work email setup on this device.
Disable wirless reconcile on the handset ... See if that allows you to clear.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
mdoog3

No luck. I disabled wireless reconciliation in email and wireless sync in calendar, address book, tasks, and notes and waited like 15 minutes before connecting to DM. The Profiles database is still unavailable to clear out. Any other ideas?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
choi4096
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Globe Telecom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post

Are you using Vista? Have the same problem using my Vista. my quick fix is, I used my wife's computer which is still on XP.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:29 AM   #15
bppilot
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

Do you have the WSJ mobile reader installed? There's another thread and it was found to be the cause of this issue - the CTO of FreeRange who makes the WSJ reader acknowledged the problem but hasn't fixed it yet to the best of my knowledge.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #16
mdoog3

i did have the WSJ mobile reader installed. I just deleted it and clicked Yes to restart after doing so but this did not resolve the problem. My backup still error out on the Profiles. Next suggestion???
Old 10-22-2008, 04:27 PM   #17
Kopter

Carrier: Verizon (BES)

I have the same problem. Here is the thread detailing more steps taken to attempt to resolve. Not yet resolved.. for me anyway.

Last edited by Kopter; 10-22-2008 at 05:46 PM..
Old 10-22-2008, 06:07 PM   #18
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoog3
i did have the WSJ mobile reader installed. I just deleted it and clicked Yes to restart after doing so but this did not resolve the problem. My backup still error out on the Profiles. Next suggestion???
Even with removing the reader, the profiles database apparently remains corrupted. Clearing the database will probably fix things. Then reconfigure your settings.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #19
dhollins

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for this thread. I had this happen today. Cleared the profiles database, now all is well.

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER
Old 10-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
bnewkirk

Model: Bold2
Carrier: AT&T

I got the "error backing up databases" today also. First time I have had a problem.

It gives me the error when it gets to 'Setup Wizard Options'. I did the battery pull and computer reboot but still no go.

Thoughts?
Closed Thread