Old 06-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700R
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default MemoryUp - Mobile RAM Booster for BB

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone used this app before? MemoryUp-Mobile RAM Booster (Specially Designed for BlackBerry) by MobiStudio Inc - Handango BlackBerry 8800 Software

I am trying the trial version. It also means I thought I understood how free memory worked on BB's but I am not so sure now. I gathered from most of the posts here that free memory = file free in Status represented the same thing (yes, we all snicker at people that think memory = HD space on PC's, but that's another story). However, I am now thinking that there is well, RAM also to consider (which, I haven't seen much discussion on here, not to the same extent as file free numbers at least).

Anyways, here is the description from Handango:

Quote:
MemoryUp V 1.5 --- Mobile RAM Booster for BlackBerry
xxx12288;
* What is MemoryUp? xxx12288;
xxx12288;
MemoryUp is a powerful Java virtual machine (JVM) management and RAM boosting tool specially designed for BlackBerry. What MemoryUp exactly does is to take control of JVM for each BlackBerry system, smartly analyze running J2ME programs (including hidden programs), automatically allocate and recover respective occupied RAM and boost system to its best performance.

xxx12288;For most BlackBerry, there are dozens of J2ME programming running in front-end or back-end, which takes lots of RAM from your BlackBerry. Many BlackBerry owners have also installed J2ME programs on their phones. MemoryUp can help you to automatically analyze and recover up to 50% RAM occupied by these programs. By using MemoryUp, to boost you BlackBerry is one click away!

A must have for BlackBerry owners and J2ME program funs! Enjoy!xxx12288;

* Features:

xxx12288; - Smart management of Java virtual machine (JVM)

- Startup boost/Automatic boost/Manually quick boost for your choice

- Real-time JVM RAM calculation

- Warning/Auto-recovering RAM at your preset threshold

- Intuitive interface and super easy-to-use for non-professional mobile users

- Advanced boosting features (force system to use large cache, prohibit kernel to disk swapping, auto-allocate critical threads, etc.) for professional mobile users

- Full support for Blackberry
Anyone used this app? Comments?
Old 06-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 83/81
PIN: TO
Carrier: AT&T 8310, 8100, 7100

Without going into all the technical details...
Sounds like wishful thinking.

If these guys could optimize RAM they'd be billionaires and would not be selling to consumers - they'd be selling to equipment manufacturers.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
MEe

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: don't known

From my knowledge, it’s impossible to access or detect all others objects used by others application. But programmer can check ram/status by using RIM api and ask for garbage collection.
Blackberry have difference means of garbage collecting, please read API detail, if you’ve read RIM api about garbage collection, they not recommend you to call System.gc() so offence.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700R
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

You lost me a bit there, MEe, but from the posts so far, I get the gist that it's of questionable benefit.

There are memory optimizers/defragmenters out there for PC's (I actually use CacheManXP), and those I can see the benefit of, especially since I never shut down my PC, etc.

Anyways, back to the subject at hand; on the surface it looks like it has the potential to help those 8830 users that seem to have memory problems with the reduced memory they have... or am I confusing memory definition again, heh. I know the difference in general but not how it applies to BB's.

So, is what counts "file free" in the Status screen? Or is that just application space; compared to what is "active" or "running" in memory at the time? If the latter, wouldn't this type of RAM optimizer be of some benefit?
Old 07-09-2007, 12:12 AM   #5
ibmman69
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: 32c04a31
Carrier: Verizon

anyone else have thoughts on this program?

if it would speed up google maps I would be happy.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:18 AM   #6
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: t-mobile

snake oil - AVOID.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #7
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted (7100t: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; Google Wireless Transcoder;))

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher
snake oil - AVOID.
Well said. Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #8
J-Mac
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Just a quick note:

First, I am not recommending this application as I have never tried it and know very little about it. However I see folks here downplaying the possibility of such a utility. That is very presumptive; believing only what you know and considering all else as hogwash can lead to missing out on some things that may be better than you think!

Again - not talking specifically about the subject application!

But I just switched to a Blackberry Curve after 11 WinCE/PPC/Windows Mobile devices in 7 years, and three Palm/Handsprings before that, two Apple Newtons before that -- along with various Symbian devices along the way. And there are memory-recovering utilities available at very affordable prices for all of those except Symbian, as they are about as restrictive or more so than even RIM regarding API hooks availability. (Oh, and of course the Newtons are long-since "extinct" of course!).

E.g., both MemMaid by Dinarsoft and SK-Tools for Windows Mobile have "RAM Recovery" modules. In both cases they simply scan the device for memory which was reserved by applications upon opening, verify that either those applications are no longer running or are not using that reserved memory, and then grab that memory back, basically, and make it available again for other purposes.

Such utilities are needed for Windows Mobile devices because Microsoft, starting with WM5, designed a memory management module to take the supposed "hassle" of closing applications away from the obviously dimwitted users. (OK, I'm exaggerating here!). If you have used a WM device you know that you cannot truly "close" any application - they only minimize. However that module has never worked well at all and users end up purchasing third party software with a "real" Close button.

Blackberry has apparently done something very similar. Note the FAQ about losing your call logs and mail messages. When Blackberry's memory manager does not properly close applications as needed, it automatically frees up memory on its own. Problem is, it currently does so in many cases by deleting call logs and email messages to free memory up. Not a desired solution, most will admit.

So there are two things I would love to see developed for Blackberry devices:
  1. A Task Manager that "closes" programs to recover memory, and...

2. A way to recover abandoned application memory other than resetting or pulling the battery.

I don't know about the application mentioned by the OP, but I just wanted to clarify that memory recovery/saving is indeed possible and desirable.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 09-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #9
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

I think a utility like this would be helpful for the BB. Possibly something like this could effectively "update" the good ol Status screen to "accurately" show us the amount of memory we have left, so on and so forth.

I do agree with JMac comments from above, but can also under Klotars comments about having the utility provide some feedback on the 88xx. I use to own a WM5 device, and DinarSoft was leaps and bounds with the memory and space freeing apps. Anythings possible folks...

And for the smart$%$# that have something to say, yes I will be happy to try the app my self and report back.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:37 AM   #10
Lowrider
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: CBW

It doesn't work!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

Anyone want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge? You'll get 90% of the tolls. I'll give it to ya real cheap. Heck, I'll trade it for a (non-gold) T-Mo Curve.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #12
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: t-mobile

they're preying on fud (Fear, uncertainty and doubt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

1202 downloads at 15dollars a time, after handangos cut they've made well over 10k off people buying this rubbish.

@j-mac - you're incorrect in what you say about blackberry - they're not the same as wm, palm et al.

if you think this app will do something to help speed up your blackberry, well i think you're nuts and fell for it hook, line and sinker, there's one born every minute etc etc etc

Last edited by jfisher; 09-12-2007 at 11:22 AM..
Closed Thread