BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:55 AM   #1
Ketchums
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T
Default Longtime user/member, getting a Bold Tuesday...

Please Login to Remove!

I'm a longtime (well, 2004 or so) Blackberry user and member of this forum, and I'm getting a Blackberry Bold on Tuesday (I took advantage of the AT&T promotion for a free refurbished one with a new contract). Couple questions:

-Whoever has the Bold, what do you think of it? Pros? Cons? Ixxx8217;ve already read the Boy Genius Report review, but Ixxx8217;d still like some feedback from people Ixxx8217;m actually cool with.
-Whatxxx8217;s the best Twitter application for the Blackberry, now? I was using TwitterBerry, but Ixxx8217;ve been hearing that there are better ones.
-Can you open MP3s as attachments yet? Can you edit Mic Office documents without buying another app yet?

Last edited by Ketchums; 03-29-2009 at 03:17 AM..
Old 03-29-2009, 05:49 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

you can edit mic office docs with doc to go, but some features (spell check for example) are only available in the premium (have to pay for) edition.
I use Twitterberry, I haven't found a better one.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 03-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

Bold is a very well liked device! Have had one since november and love it!
Old 03-29-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

x2.

Check out the SocialScope beta for Twitter.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
funaki
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: 2161931A
Carrier: Batelco

Bold is an awesome device. I upgraded for an 8707v. I have not faced any issue with my bold. Except for the battery, maybe thats just my usage. You will not be disappointed.

As for twitter, i use socialscope and it is so far the best i have seen.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
eljefe
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just recently upgraded to a Bold from an 8700c (and a 7900 before that). The Bold is far and away the best Blackberry so far. But I have two disappointments worth mentioning. In order of importance to me:

The vibrator is so anemic as to be nearly worthless. My Blackberry is a work tool. I need to know when calls or messages are coming in. With the bold in the stock belt holster on my belt, I can feel the vibrator if I'm sitting still in a theater or restaurant. But if I'm moving at all....forget it. It's just not there.

The vibrator was inadequate in the 8700 too, although it was better than the Bold's. I sent a message to RIM asking that in future versions they increase the amplitude of the vibrator, and maybe make the amplitude settable like the ring tones are. They sent me a nice reply thanking me for the feedback but my suggestion obviously didn't happen.

My second, and much less important, disappointment is the camera. When my wife and sons all got iPhones I was blown away by how good iPhone photos look. Finially...a camera phone that takes pictures that look like they came from a regular point-and-shoot camera. Then came the Bold...and back to photos that look like they were taken with a camera.

The Bold's photos are 2 mega-pixels, but the lens quality is poor. So all photos are blurry.

Other than those two issues....a great device so far.

Last edited by eljefe; 03-29-2009 at 08:20 AM..
Old 03-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #7
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I have a Bold, almost since they first were available. As far as a phone, the sound quality is probably the best I've heard on outgoing and incoming when on 3G. The screen is very good as is the keyboard. The camera is passable for my uses. I think they should have rubberized the sides and back of the phone but that's a minor complaint.

Since you have a BB you already know the pro's and con's of the OS.

I'm in the NYC/NJ area which has good 3G coverage. So, your experience may be different, actually better, if you're on EDGE. The battery is disappointing if you use much talk time. At about 1.5-2 hours of talk time, my phone is just about dead by 4:00pm. I don't do much browsing and get/send 50-60 messages via email/text.

AT&T's network in NYC is slipping from bad to horrible. I called Friday to complain about dropped calls. In midtown Manhattan 7 call dropped in about 40 minutes. My calls to 611 dropped three times and that wasn't included in the 7 earlier dropped calls as I waited until I was in NJ to call 611.

Tech support was nice enough to finally text me to tell me to pull the battery for 30 seconds. I usually reset once a week but they said to actually pull the battery and do it more frequently. I don't buy that.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Blexcroid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: of H1N1 and other virii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
x2.

Check out the SocialScope beta for Twitter.
No invites left.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
Ketchums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
you can edit mic office docs with doc to go, but some features (spell check for example) are only available in the premium (have to pay for) edition.
I use Twitterberry, I haven't found a better one.
Man....either way, being able to edit them is going to be fantastic. I'm looking forward to that!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blexcroid View Post
No invites left.
put your name on the list, they seem to be rolling them out from time to time.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
Ketchums

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
I just recently upgraded to a Bold from an 8700c (and a 7900 before that). The Bold is far and away the best Blackberry so far. But I have two disappointments worth mentioning. In order of importance to me:

The vibrator is so anemic as to be nearly worthless. My Blackberry is a work tool. I need to know when calls or messages are coming in. With the bold in the stock belt holster on my belt, I can feel the vibrator if I'm sitting still in a theater or restaurant. But if I'm moving at all....forget it. It's just not there.

The vibrator was inadequate in the 8700 too, although it was better than the Bold's. I sent a message to RIM asking that in future versions they increase the amplitude of the vibrator, and maybe make the amplitude settable like the ring tones are. They sent me a nice reply thanking me for the feedback but my suggestion obviously didn't happen.

My second, and much less important, disappointment is the camera. When my wife and sons all got iPhones I was blown away by how good iPhone photos look. Finially...a camera phone that takes pictures that look like they came from a regular point-and-shoot camera. Then came the Bold...and back to photos that look like they were taken with a camera.

The Bold's photos are 2 mega-pixels, but the lens quality is poor. So all photos are blurry.

Other than those two issues....a great device so far.
That sucks to hear about the vibrate function, I guess we'll see how it goes though. And I had an 8800, so honestly, any camera is better than none at all for me
Old 03-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
FSUFAN1200
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Ketchums>>>> I have had Blackberries for over 6-years, upgraded as the new ones come out. Been on Verizon & AT&T, and I will honestly say, the Bold is the best Blackberry I have ever owned, BY FAR!

Matt
Old 03-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
msaster
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 88
Carrier: ATT

SocialScope will put you on their "waiting list". I love my BOLD. I do wish the camera was better but..... enjoy your new phone and all it does
Old 03-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
Blexcroid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: of H1N1 and other virii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
put your name on the list, they seem to be rolling them out from time to time.
I did (I think) I didn't see the 'form' to fill out, so all I input was mt email address. Hope they roll our more invites soon! Thank you very much for the heads-up.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
Ketchums

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaster View Post
SocialScope will put you on their "waiting list". I love my BOLD. I do wish the camera was better but..... enjoy your new phone and all it does
Where can I find this SocialScope program?
Closed Thread