Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default DIBS on BIBS -- JavaScript/Tables/Backgrounds/Animated GIF

Please Login to Remove!

With Rogers now supporting TCP/IP and web browsing. I finally got my Rogers Service Book resent to me and it automatically enabled a third RIM browser icon on my Blackberry specifically for Rogers BWC 4.0.

That means I have both browsing via Mailstreet, and browsing via Rogers BWC 4.0. So BES/MDS hosting users, including Mailstreet/MyBlackberry users, get your service books resent anyway because Mailstreet/MyBlackberry is still using BES 3.6.

You need BlackberryOS 4.0.0.100 or later to work with BWC 4.0 in order to get enhanced web browsing such as animations and tables, etc. Rogers will release BlackberryOS 4 around November, but this is a preliminary review.

It is VERY BETA QUALITY at the moment though, so don't get too anxious -- let the carriers duke out the
  • Table support works better; however Blackberry will sacrifice table layout whenever the table is too wide for the handheld;
  • Background graphics & background colors are working now; they will defintiely slow things down so you want to disable it unless you like the pretty graphics;
  • Animated GIF works too. They are nice to see. However, http://www.marky.com/programming/content.html caused a JVM error and rebooted my BlackBerry after about 30 seconds after repeated scrolling through the page.
  • HTTPS secure webpages work without needing BES/MDS
  • Flash/SVG doesn't work yet. You need a Flash plugin for the Blackberry first before this works. Essentially, plugins appear to be supportable, but none are included.
  • JavaScript doesn't seem to be deployed yet. SCRIPT tags do not seem to be executed yet, will need more testing. I tested a JavaScript calculator here which demonstrates table support works well, but the JavaScript doesn't work. Also, I found a bug with button selection with the trackwheel -- basically, it is impossible to click the rightmost buttons but I can click the leftmost buttons. (non-Javascript bug)
If you enable all of these fancy features, be prepared for LONG loading times though! You can disable features though to speed up browsing.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-13-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Newcomers may want to check out my BlackberryOS 4.0.0.100 review too!
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Closed Thread