Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyckitching View Post
Is there anyone else in your area that is using a BlackBerry on that carrier successfully?
I think he said they dont support them if thats the case hes kinda on his own I think.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:55 AM   #22
basf
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
PIN: N/A
Carrier: VivaCell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
if he has a plain data plan he could still use opera but he wont be able to download anything at all. Some carriers you can use the bb on the carrier as a simple PDA (waste of money in my opinion) but thats all they can do no push mail or anything else.
I've installed opera, but it doesn't run, it hungs on the loading screen (I downloaded the latest version from opera-mini's site). Yes, I want to use my BB as a simple PDA, to have internet access, because my carrier will not have BB services for many years, i think
Old 08-28-2007, 07:00 AM   #23
basf

Quote:
I think he said they dont support them if thats the case hes kinda on his own I think.
In my carriers office nobody even heard about BB...they looked at that like it was something from another planet....
Old 08-28-2007, 07:02 AM   #24
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basf
Quote:
In my carriers office nobody even heard about BB...they looked at that like it was something from another planet....
They do that often here, too.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:04 AM   #25
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

I am going to step out on a limb and say that this probably isn't going to work for you. If you have already input those settings (inet.vivacell.am) and it isn't working, it more than likely won't work. Sorry, guy.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:06 AM   #26
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basf
Quote:
if he has a plain data plan he could still use opera but he wont be able to download anything at all. Some carriers you can use the bb on the carrier as a simple PDA (waste of money in my opinion) but thats all they can do no push mail or anything else.
I've installed opera, but it doesn't run, it hungs on the loading screen (I downloaded the latest version from opera-mini's site). Yes, I want to use my BB as a simple PDA, to have internet access, because my carrier will not have BB services for many years, i think
I think you are going to have to find somebody that has made opera mini work on a blackberry on your carrier and learn from them. Otherwise, sounds like it can't be done. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #27
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Well, if your carrier doesn't support Blackberry devices, then you won't be getting any service books.

Orange Romania suggests (see Orange Romania - Roaming: Orange Travel) that BB services are supported when roaming in Armenia in "zone 6." So someone is providing Blackberry services in Armenia (possibly another carrier or Orange themselves). I would suggest that you contact Orange as ask who is providing BlackBerry services in Armenia. I would suggest to consider switching to that carrier providing Blackberry services.

good luck
Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 AM   #28
basf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroc View Post
Well, if your carrier doesn't support Blackberry devices, then you won't be getting any service books.

Orange Romania suggests (see Orange Romania - Roaming: Orange Travel) that BB services are supported when roaming in Armenia in "zone 6." So someone is providing Blackberry services in Armenia (possibly another carrier or Orange themselves). I would suggest that you contact Orange as ask who is providing BlackBerry services in Armenia. I would suggest to consider switching to that carrier providing Blackberry services.

good luck
There is GPRS roaming in Armenia
[url=http://www.orange.ro/roaming/tarife-gprs.html[/url]
Old 08-28-2007, 07:52 AM   #29
igbscomp

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

Well, if your SIM card from local provider - you need put the APN name for LOCAL provider too!
Igor P.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:57 AM   #30
basf

Quote:
Originally Posted by igbscomp View Post
Well, if your SIM card from local provider - you need put the APN name for LOCAL provider too!
Igor P.
the APN name of my local provider is inet.vivacell.am...and I put that name
Old 08-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #31
rstensho

Model: 8700
Carrier: TMO

Sounds like opera mini is hanging on your device due to an incompatibility with your handheld software version. Please post your version by going to Options->About... It should say 4.x.x.x where x is a number
Old 08-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #32
basf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstensho View Post
Sounds like opera mini is hanging on your device due to an incompatibility with your handheld software version. Please post your version by going to Options->About... It should say 4.x.x.x where x is a number
My software version is 4.2.1.91
Old 09-14-2007, 04:03 AM   #33
Solo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Viva

Hi basf,

Forget about data plan and service books from Vivacell. They have not heard about Blackberry phones Once I needed even to spell it for them.

To surf Web via GPRS without data plan you need 2 things.

1) Go to Options-> Advanced Options -> TCP and fill inet.vivacell.am for APN. Leave the username and password blank.
2) Install Opera mini. (I use 3.1.8295 version)

On the safe side check that the data services are enabled. For that go to
Options -> Network -> Data Services (should be ON).

That's it. Run the Opera mini and it will setup up itself (when it starts first time should run tests for network settings) and you will be able to surf web.

Let me know if any problem occurs.
Closed Thread