BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #41
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I do however think their are differences in stability. My experience with 7290 and 8800 are much different as far as Battery pulls required per week.
Also, I did give the Email nod to BB and it deserves it but I think BES users get a much much different experience than us BIS users. Add that to being a Mac user without Desktop manager and it gets even closer.
Old 09-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #42
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Ok, I do however think their are differences in stability. My experience with 7290 and 8800 are much different as far as Battery pulls required per week.
Also, I did give the Email nod to BB and it deserves it but I think BES users get a much much different experience than us BIS users. Add that to being a Mac user without Desktop manager and it gets even closer.
I use BIS and am on Linux and have zero support... Of course I would not get any Linux support with the iPhone either...
Old 09-08-2007, 09:08 PM   #43
test54
BlackBerry Master

no, your out on your own, but thats why you like linux right?
that and the free chicken salad!!

Last edited by test54; 09-08-2007 at 09:09 PM..
Old 09-08-2007, 09:23 PM   #44
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
Aside from BES pushing email immediately (and the obvious, such as calendar sync with BES), I'm not finding any significant difference between my time as a BIS user vs my time as a BES user. Aside from the couple of major outages recently, I've found BIS via T-Mobile to work extremely well. Also - although BES is more fully featured, the combo of BES and Exchange is far from bullet-proof. Overall, I'm finding the BIS experience to be quite good.

Re: battery pulls per week - under what circumstances? Why do you find the need to do this? I've been through a 7290, 8700, pearl, 8800 and now a Curve. Aside from experimenting with different OS's and loading a lot of 3rd party software that sometimes has memory leaks, I've rarely needed to pull the battery on *any* of my blackberry's. 90% of the time, when I *do* need to do this, it's directly related to my application experiments with 3rd party software.

No idea how stable the iPhone is, so I can't comment on that. But all of my BB's have been extraordinarily stable.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:08 PM   #45
test54
BlackBerry Master

BES vs. BIS is much different. wireless sync vs. desktop manager or less for mac/linux. Time is really not an issue as I do not need instant email, 15 min does fine for me, and if i needed instant i would use my yahoo or gmail accounts.

Battery pulls for various reasons, reset EDGE or GPRS. Apps not working not often but they do happen. I'm by no means saying BB is not stable because they are very very stable. My point there was that my 7290 had issues about every 3 or 4 months (shutdown when answering calls) that required a battery pull and My 8800 has required about 2 per month since i got it in April.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:51 AM   #46
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Calendar / Notes sync - wireless vs DM - is clearly the biggest difference for me between BES and BIS (at least as an end-user... clearly there are HUGE differences from an enterprise perspective).

I can't dispute your experience with 8800 vs 7290 -- just that mine doesn't mirror that. I've been a "dual carrier" user for the past few years (Cingy/AT&T and T-Mobile), and the few dropped calls I experienced were all on Cingular (also found their corporate billing and account management to be atrocious), and we *did* experience a few big email outages through Cingular over the past 2 years. My experience with TMo has been, generally, much better. However I never saw a difference in reliability (as in not needing a battery pull) between the 7290, 8800, 8100 and the Curve. With the "corporate" Blackberry's, I didn't install 3rd party apps, didn't mess with multiple OS versions - but I DID receive over a thousand emails a month and send at least a couple of hundred (more also via Outlook), so I was certainly exercising these beasts pretty thoroughly. Interesting -- now that I think back on it, I *did* have to do a couple of battery pulls on the 8700 when it froze - but the 8800 and 8100 were pretty much bullet proof. I've only had the Curve a few months, and it seems just as solid - only battery pulls required when I mess with OS versions to try to coax the T-Mobile service books to it or loaded and tried so many 3rd party pgms that memory ran low (leaks and the like).

When you mention needing a couple of pulls a month with your 8800, I can confidently say that this really exceeds anything I've seen in our corporate use of 8800's (also with AT&T). Are you using much in the way of 3rd party apps?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:08 AM   #47
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

unless I screw it up I never have to pull my battery
Old 09-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #48
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
unless I screw it up I never have to pull my battery
...and judging by your post count, I'm guessing that you're a heavy duty user!
Old 09-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #49
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

It's been forever since I had to do a battery pull.... Bit I have very few *extras* loaded up...
Old 09-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #50
test54
BlackBerry Master

Well i use several 3rd party apps. GPS, IM, Opera, MLB, Games, ect.
Its by no means a problem as it doesnt happen enough to worry me.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #51
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
...and judging by your post count, I'm guessing that you're a heavy duty user!

dont be fooled by my post count alot of those posts came in the off topic section I didnt carry a BB for a year while I was having a lapse in judgement. I have since come home and wont leave again
Old 09-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #52
mortys11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers

"The iphone is definitely faster when it comes to menus. This is more important than you think, after using it I get frustrated with 8800. +1 iphone"
quote from test 54

i disagree...with all the shortcuts a veteran bb user is lighting fast!

the speed dial alone is knock out punch for the bb..

"c" for compose,

"r" for rply

"L" reply all

these save a ton of time..."A" address book, "L" for calendar, "u" for calculator etc...these are priceless shorts

email: bb all the way

web and media: iphone all the way

UI:iphone is pretty but bb gets things done...both will improve on their weak areas i am sure on the next generation...i give the edge to the bb by a nose for now

i will admit apple has shown us the future but they came up a bit short for now...i would say iphone version 3 will be sick...come 2009

"i need my bb, i want an iphone"

thats the best way i could sum it up for me...

maybe an ipod touch to get a taste..i was looking at a media device anyway for pics and home movies to view pic at home not so much for the road

Last edited by mortys11; 09-09-2007 at 07:45 PM..
Old 09-09-2007, 07:55 PM   #53
test54
BlackBerry Master

my post about menu speed is for things such as switching apps, quitting apps. more OS horsepower than shortcuts. I use my 8800 app switcher all the time to go back and forth and it takes a second or two to bring up the menu and then another two to go to the app, that type of thing.
Not bashing, just making an observation. I agree that apple OS is pretty but the BB gets things done, lot more productivity based.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:10 PM   #54
mortys11

Smile

yes

RIM needs to get a faster processor, pretty up the ui and have a more forward design for the hardware

i still think anyone who has had a bb for more than a year cant possibly be satisfied with an iphone

for the new user the iphone works great cause they never had a bb

there are alot of loyal treo users still out there that think thats the best device ever....LOL !
Old 09-09-2007, 08:19 PM   #55
mortys11

lets be honest

if the iphone had real push email and some more bugs got worked out, Rim would have a real big threat...

if apple adds an office work suite it could get ugly for rim fast.

they dropped the price in 2 months...what about when they get agressive and roll out the 3G model with more memory (32GB) and fix alot of the bugs and add a MS office app, real push email, more streaming media, gps, 4mp cam with video...

who's jumping on the bus?

at $299

i will take it for a spin fo sho!

anyone else in?

i am driving!

Last edited by mortys11; 09-09-2007 at 08:24 PM..
Old 09-09-2007, 08:24 PM   #56
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Nope...
Old 09-09-2007, 08:34 PM   #57
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortys11 View Post
lets be honest

if the iphone had real push email and some more bugs got worked out, Rim would have a real big threat...

if apple adds an office work suite it could get ugly for rim fast.
Nah...I don't think it's that simple - certainly isn't for me.

With the volume of text and email I send via BB, I doubt that I'll ever be happy with a touch screen. I've tried them over the years for PC's (touch keyboards), pianos (touch keyboards), for smartphones (MDA and iPhone)...and without a true tactile response keyboard, my speed, accuracy and comfort level all suffer.

With an iPhone-style touch screen, I can't possibly "dial" the phone one-handed - I have to hold it in one and tap with the other.

I don't foresee Apple dropping their UI - it's a core component of the user experience for them. It may be exactly the *right* UI for a media-centric device, but that doesn't make it a universally applicable device, i.e., what works best for multi-media doesn't necessarily work best for email, SMS and IM -- and vice versa of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortys11 View Post
they dropped the price in 2 months...what about when they get agressive and roll out the 3G model with more memory (32GB) and fix alot of the bugs and add a MS office app, real push email, more streaming media, gps, 4mp cam with video...

who's jumping on the bus?

at $299

i will take it for a spin fo sho!

anyone else in?
Not me - not anytime soon. I'm still more interested in adding GPS to my Curve and finding the right bluetooth headset (fed up with Moto BT headsets, and very frustrated with Jawbone - now considering BlueAnt Z9). But the reason for my preference is that my first requirement is for a text-centric applicance (PDA / Phone) that is mindlessly easy, productive and usable - for my text-centric tasks. Unless Apple decides to forego the touchscreen and revert to a keyboard (not likely), I seriously doubt I'll ever be able to consider an iPhone as my primary text-centric device - no matter the price and add-ons.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #58
BerryLA
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: Ask & You shall receive
Carrier: AT&T

My story is simple: I love my Blackberry and I'm sticking to it!

Besides, having long nails and the TOUCH SCREEN on the i-phone is a disaster. Just don't mesh well

Curve
Old 09-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #59
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
With an iPhone-style touch screen, I can't possibly "dial" the phone one-handed - I have to hold it in one and tap with the other.
Out of your comment that is one point where I think your wrong, very easy to dial with one hand. no problems at all, just use your thumb -same as on BB. atleast for me.

Last edited by test54; 09-09-2007 at 09:05 PM..
Old 09-09-2007, 09:05 PM   #60
mortys11

the kb isnt a huge issue for typing imho...there are youtube postings of people typing very fast on iphone.

the shorts are better on bb for 1 handed use i agree.

it will be interesting to see how this plays out and what rim has up its sleeve.