BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 05:11 PM   #1
chris_in_ca
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Default Funky voice dialing issue..?

Please Login to Remove!

When I first got my 8100 I put in a single contact and then came across the voice dial feature... I pressed the button and voila it worked like a charm. Amazing -- it appears it has some voice-to-text translation feature that connects you to any entry in your address book..

When I got home I downloaded all my contacts into the blackberry..

Then I tried to use voice dial and it totally didn't work. I changed the voicedial settings to be more forgiving -- still didn't work.

A mystery.

I tried that first contact I entered -- worked like a charm.

I manually created a new, test contact in my address book. Voice dial, again, worked like a charm.

I tried a contact I entered via import and it still didn't work.

I went into the imported contact and changed the last name. Tried that with voice dial -- worked like charm.

I went into another important contact and opened it up in edit mode without making a single change and saved it. Voila -- voice dial worked like a charm.

So -- it would see that for some reason none of my address book contacts that I imported seem to be working with the voice dial feature. All new contacts (i.e. non imported) or modified imported contacts work like a charm.

I would guess that there is some sort of 'registration' process that a contact goes through when you create or modify it that makes it available to the voicedial feature that, for some reason, doesn't appear to be the case when I imported my contacts.

If there is any RIM QA folks out there that want to take up the case feel free to PM me. And for additional information (and this might have something to do with it) I am using PocketMac sync software and have a Mac.

Does anyone else have experience using the voice dial feature with imported contacts?

- Chris
Old 12-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Damager
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

This has been discussed on the forum - go into "Options", "Language", and change the language for Voice dialing to "English UK", save. Then change it back to "English US". Save.

Then go into voice dialing. It will now scan all your entries and should work fine.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
chris_in_ca

Model: 8700c
Default Worked like a charm...

Saved to UK English.. then saved to American English.. next press of voicedial it did a scan and boom.. it worked.

Thanks for the tip.. thanks Damager!

If I do further import/sync will I need to do this trick after again after future import/syncs?

Hopefully this is something they'll fix an upcoming version of the OS..

- Chris
Old 12-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
geekdaddy

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default That's the ticket!

You guys rock! I've been using my new pearl for about a week. All of a sudden, my voice-dialer can only dial digits and can't find ANYTHING in my address book.

Searched the forum, found the recommended fix in this thread, tried it, and voila! Everything works great now
Closed Thread