Old 01-16-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
keith88

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Smile *****How To View .Rem Photos With No Blackberry****

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys,

I created a account but dont have a blackberry at the time so try to help me anyway if you can. Long story short I have a sd memory card that I found and I have a ton of pics on it. Only problem is the pics are from 06-07 lol. Memory photos I wanted to get access guys. I dont have my blackberry curve anymore and some pics I cant open because of the .rem file extension. Basically am I screwed because I dont have my blackberry anymore. No way I can view the pics?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
socketchops

Model: 9800
Carrier: TMob UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith88 View Post
Hey guys,

I created a account but dont have a blackberry at the time so try to help me anyway if you can. Long story short I have a sd memory card that I found and I have a ton of pics on it. Only problem is the pics are from 06-07 lol. Memory photos I wanted to get access guys. I dont have my blackberry curve anymore and some pics I cant open because of the .rem file extension. Basically am I screwed because I dont have my blackberry anymore. No way I can view the pics?
Copy the files to ur pc desktop, download a trial of photoshop from adobe website and then it will open any file and u can save as a jpeg/tiff etc

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #3
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: *****How To View .Rem Photos With No Blackberry****

socketchops, what are you talking about??

To the OP, those files can only be read on the original device on which the encryption was enabled.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

If the encryption mode was set to either device key or device key + password, then you are SOL. But if the mode was set to password and you know the password, then you might be able to open the files on another BlackBerry.
I haven't done it; just theorizing. You likely will have to enable password on the BlackBerry and set the password to the same as that in effect when the files were encrypted.

If you give it a shot, post an update.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Apparently the BB encrypts the data using a key that is linked to the original BB and to prevent possible security issues not much can be done.

From RIM

Any media files transferred to the BlackBerry smartphone's media card while media card encryption is enabled and set to encrypt media files using BlackBerry® Media Sync or Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry® smartphones are encrypted and renamed to have a .rem file extension.
BlackBerry Media Sync is only able to transfer media to an encrypted media card. When you attempt to transfer the files back to the computer, the encrypted file is copied over to the computer, but the file is not decrypted and also still has the .rem extension.
Roxio Media Manager for BlackBerry smartphones is able to transfer media to an encrypted media card and decrypt media when the file is transferred back to a computer. This will remove the .rem extension on the transferred file and allow it to be accessed by the computer. The copy on the media card remains encrypted
If encryption on the BlackBerry smartphone is broken (for example, all data and applications are removed from the BlackBerry smartphone), the files remain encrypted and there is no way to recover them.
Closed Thread