Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 02:35 AM   #1
orgullodemexico
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Default Micro SD card for 8320

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a maximum size of Micro SD card that the 8320 will recognize?

The owners manual had no information about this.

Thanks!!
Old 10-30-2007, 05:47 AM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I believe it follows the same max size as the 8300 so max size I believe is 32 GB. Right now largest available is 6GB or 8GB
Old 10-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
tricky_ott
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Official support is 4GB, but the standard for the slot is max of 32 GB.
As new ones come out you will most probably have to play around with formatting externally to get the to work.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

6Gb's haven't been working very well in the BB's. I'd stick with 4Gb's until 4.3 OS comes out then try the larger ones.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:31 AM   #5
abebaby

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi, I am a newbie to this forum and to having a BB. I recently purchased the TMO 8320 and am feeling my way through the screens, options etc.

I want to buy a Micro SD card to load music. You folks say a 4GB card works, but the TMO BB support desk says I can only use 2GB. Does anyone this device with have a working 4GB? Also what brand/model and where do you get them at a good deal? I see some good deals on Dealnews.com and newegg.com but not sure which model will work. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:33 AM   #6
dstrauss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
6Gb's haven't been working very well in the BB's. I'd stick with 4Gb's until 4.3 OS comes out then try the larger ones.
John is absolutely right - my 8310 WILL NOT reliably recognize a 6gb card. Constatnly reports the card is unformatted and/or not recognized. Downgraded to a 4gb and runs like clockwork. Don't know if an OS or driver update can fix all this, but anything OVER 4gb is just that, a theoretical limit.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abebaby View Post
Hi, I am a newbie to this forum and to having a BB. I recently purchased the TMO 8320 and am feeling my way through the screens, options etc.

I want to buy a Micro SD card to load music. You folks say a 4GB card works, but the TMO BB support desk says I can only use 2GB. Does anyone this device with have a working 4GB? Also what brand/model and where do you get them at a good deal? I see some good deals on Dealnews.com and newegg.com but not sure which model will work. Any help would be appreciated.
They may just officially SUPPORT 2GB. I know there are members here who have gotten 4GB to work, and some even 6GB. If you want to be absolutely sure I would just go with 2GB to be sure. If you want you can try 4GB but, if it doesn't work, you will probably have to troubleshoot yourself or return it.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
boostieboy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

My 4GB works just fine in the 8310, with both versions of OS.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
Dereck
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm using a 4GB microSD memory card in my 8320 right now and it works fine. I've loaded about 200 or so songs and I'm barely half way through my card.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
rtst31975
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 241F0001

I have a 4gb sd card in my 8320 and it works great. I have it filled with about 2.7 gb of music on it and it accesses all my media just fine. Some people are saying that the cards gets buggy after the 2gb storage limit has been met, but I believe that is only on the 6gb card from what I have been reading.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
fkatsumi

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

If the media card address space of 4.2.x code is 32bit then it should be able to handle up to 4GB and format it as such. I don't have a 4GB chip but if you have one can you format it in the device to create a full 4GB partition? When 6GB is formatted it creates a 2GB partition which leads me to believe that the code is doing a signed 32bit space so 2^31=2GB. I guess to handle 32GB chip the code has to be rewritten at least with 35bit. Will OS 4.3 do this?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #12
John Clark
BBF Moderator

4Gb's work in all BBs with 4.2.1 OS or above. I have a 4Gb in my 8320 and it works fine. It worked fine in my Pearl with 4.2.1.107, as well.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #13
fkatsumi

thanks John. I'm going to get an 8GB and see what happens.

fred
Old 01-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #14
danstipe

Carrier: tmobile

hey fred, did that 8 gb work for you, anyone get results with a 6 or come up with a solution
Old 01-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #15
djaward

MONOPRICE.COM sells the 2gig for 18 bucks. If you live in AZ or CA they do overnight shipping for 7.50. I got one.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #16
fencepost
Thumbs Must Hurt

newegg has 2GB MicroSD cards for $17 and up with free 3-day shipping, or for lower prices with a shipping charge.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #17
fkatsumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by danstipe View Post
hey fred, did that 8 gb work for you, anyone get results with a 6 or come up with a solution
Just got the 8 GB today so I'm going to write this as I do it. Dropped it in my curve 8310 (4.2.2.170) and it sees the Total Space as 7.6GB space. While it is connected to a PC and turn the mass storage mode on, PC doesn't see it as being formatted and asks to format the device. If I attempt to format it via the PC (format the removable drive while 8GB chip is in bb) the capacity shows 3.60GB. I have no other choice in the drop down list. Once I format then I can access from PC using the mass storage mode (without taking the chip out of bb). Now the capacity is just 3.6GB but I can drag stuff in and then use it.

Let's format this with bb. It formats it as 3.6GB with the volume label BLACKBERRY and creates the directory structure.

Now let's format this PC. I remove the 8GB chip and directly connect it via USB. I can now format this at 7.60GB. Done. With 6GB I and others here had problem getting the "lost" space back. We had to do a low level format with SDFormatter.

Next I put this back in bb and see it in Options, Media Card. Now the Total Space shows 7.5GB. I connect it to PC and turn on the mass storage mode. Surprisingly, PC now sees the removable drive with the label "BLACKBERRY" and I can access with no problem. However it's a real slow data transfer speed so if I'm copying a lot then it's quicker to take the chip out and do your copying then put it back into bb.

I have to go back to 6GB and try agian to make sure that 6GB chip is a problem with curve.

The only thing I need to test is copying a large video file which would exceed 2GB or 4GB point and make sure that bb can access the files. I have to create some video for this so this is my update for now.

Fred
Old 01-17-2008, 06:36 PM   #18
thatsadpanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkatsumi View Post
Just got the 8 GB today so I'm going to write this as I do it. Dropped it in my curve 8310 (4.2.2.170) and it sees the Total Space as 7.6GB space. While it is connected to a PC and turn the mass storage mode on, PC doesn't see it as being formatted and asks to format the device. If I attempt to format it via the PC (format the removable drive while 8GB chip is in bb) the capacity shows 3.60GB. I have no other choice in the drop down list. Once I format then I can access from PC using the mass storage mode (without taking the chip out of bb). Now the capacity is just 3.6GB but I can drag stuff in and then use it.

Let's format this with bb. It formats it as 3.6GB with the volume label BLACKBERRY and creates the directory structure.

Now let's format this PC. I remove the 8GB chip and directly connect it via USB. I can now format this at 7.60GB. Done. With 6GB I and others here had problem getting the "lost" space back. We had to do a low level format with SDFormatter.

Next I put this back in bb and see it in Options, Media Card. Now the Total Space shows 7.5GB. I connect it to PC and turn on the mass storage mode. Surprisingly, PC now sees the removable drive with the label "BLACKBERRY" and I can access with no problem. However it's a real slow data transfer speed so if I'm copying a lot then it's quicker to take the chip out and do your copying then put it back into bb.

I have to go back to 6GB and try agian to make sure that 6GB chip is a problem with curve.

The only thing I need to test is copying a large video file which would exceed 2GB or 4GB point and make sure that bb can access the files. I have to create some video for this so this is my update for now.

Fred

Screenshots??
Old 01-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #19
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

DO NOT try to format the SD card or you will screw it all up, maybe to the point of making it unusable. It will work right out of the package if it is either 2 or 4 GB. 6 and 8 GB cards DO NOT work yet.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #20
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I've formatted every card I've ever put in my BB. It's always worked great. The one time I put a 2Gb SD card in my digital camera and forgot to format it, I took a bunch of picturers but then later it wouldn't read in any of the Kodak machines at the drugstore, nor would it read in my computer. Once I got my pics off (long story for that, too) and formatted it, it works great everywhere I use it.
Closed Thread