Old 12-30-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Harrison Leggio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Default Browser vs. Bolt Browser

Please Login to Remove!

I was browsing around on google earlier today, and came across a list of alternate web broswers on a blackberry. I kept seeing a specific one on many different websites, so I decided to take a closer look at it.

Its called bolt, and I'm sure many of you have heard of it before. It can be used in place of your current browser, and can be made youe default, meaning all web pages open up in bolt.

After downloading it, I realized that it wasn't for me.

Pros:
- smaller top bar, meaning a bigger browser page, but only by a small amount.
- doesn't always show up as your browsing via a mobile device, but that can also be a con, which ill explain later

Cons:
-the startup. When you first click the bolt icon, it takes about 15 seconds to full open up, which is much longer than the 1-2 second load up on the default bb browser.
-loading time. It feels as if each web page takes 10 second to load, even simple pages such as google and youtube.
-doesnt show up as a mobile device when browsing. Earlier I stated this can be good, but I've realized that this can als be bad. When I tried to visit the blackberry forums using bolt, it came up as the non mobile page, which sort of lagged up the browser severely, because non mobile pages doint exactly load very quickly on a mobile phone.

Well, those are my thoughts on bolt.

All in all, I'm stickling with the default browser.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-31-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
AlanJolin
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 236B7E39
Carrier: vodafone UK

I tried Bolt but it didn't suit me either, I think the Default one is ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Leggio View Post
I was browsing around on google earlier today, and came across a list of alternate web broswers on a blackberry. I kept seeing a specific one on many different websites, so I decided to take a closer look at it.

Its called bolt, and I'm sure many of you have heard of it before. It can be used in place of your current browser, and can be made youe default, meaning all web pages open up in bolt.

After downloading it, I realized that it wasn't for me.

Pros:
- smaller top bar, meaning a bigger browser page, but only by a small amount.
- doesn't always show up as your browsing via a mobile device, but that can also be a con, which ill explain later

Cons:
-the startup. When you first click the bolt icon, it takes about 15 seconds to full open up, which is much longer than the 1-2 second load up on the default bb browser.
-loading time. It feels as if each web page takes 10 second to load, even simple pages such as google and youtube.
-doesnt show up as a mobile device when browsing. Earlier I stated this can be good, but I've realized that this can als be bad. When I tried to visit the blackberry forums using bolt, it came up as the non mobile page, which sort of lagged up the browser severely, because non mobile pages doint exactly load very quickly on a mobile phone.

Well, those are my thoughts on bolt.

All in all, I'm stickling with the default browser.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Harrison Leggio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Re: Default Browser vs. Bolt Browser

Yeah. The os6 browser is quite good.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
gambit007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
Carrier: vodacom

I prefer the default bb browser for one reason and that is, ota downloads. Bolt cannot install after download.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
vliou
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telus

I honestly prefer Opera's BB browser - it loads faster and pages don't get distorted as often. Opera used to be fantastic for the old trackwheels as well, although the diff. between 3rd party browsers and the OEM one isn't that big these days. To each their own
Closed Thread