Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #21
iomatic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Specifically, I already have a BB, and reports on other forums and some discussion leads me to believe that getting a new iPhone will actually cost me $399 & $499 (it shows up that way in my Premier account). It would've been nice to save some money; but I could walk in and find out, certainly. After the original iPhone sells, of course!

I just love the iPhone applications!
Old 08-15-2008, 12:40 PM   #22
iomatic
Thumbs Must Hurt

"You do not meet the requirements for an upgrade at a discounted equipment price. However, you may still purchase a phone/device at the full price. Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price on Jan 4, 2010."

:(
Old 08-15-2008, 01:10 PM   #23
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I thought the iphone was an exception to that rule about eligibility, just go in and see. I think you will get the good price. Apps are great, new one today is "simplify media" - allows me to stream all my itunes media (and friends) to my iphone. And its free for first 100k downloads. works well too, even with 3200k songs in iTunes. oh and even works over EDGE.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #24
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

3G calling issues (hopefully to be addressed in a software update) and a few have noticed some battery life issues.

You have to give the bad with the good......

Apps are great. How would I survive with Magic 8 Ball and Phonesaber.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #25
test54
BlackBerry Master

lol phonesaber, I heard they pulled it because George Lucas said is was not licensed. So his company is putting out a licensed phonesaber app now.

The 3G issues are out there I do see alot of evidence to them, "Part of the role of the Infineon chip is to check whether there's enough 3G bandwidth available in a given area. If 3G isn't available or there isn't enough bandwidth, the iPhone will be shifted to a slower network. One source says Apple programmed the Infineon chip to demand a more powerful 3G signal than the iPhone really requires. So if too many people try to make a call or go on the Internet in a given area, some of the devices will decide there's insufficient power and switch to the slower networkxxx8212;even if there is enough 3G bandwidth available."

from macrumors. the theory fits because apparently the issues happen in the busiest 3G areas. Hopefully a update will fix it, especially since I want to order mine next week.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #26
iomatic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Still a great platform; they'll work the bugs out I'm sure.

Which do you all recommend, the AT&T store or Apple Store?

The above quote was from the Premier site, by the way.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #27
iomatic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wonder if this will work:
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - View Single Post - buying an iphone..but still in contract

And what would happen?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #28
test54
BlackBerry Master

well that post refers to the situation where you borrow and iphone and activate it using your sim so you become and existing iphone user. The existing iphone users are all eligible for the 199/299 pricing. I would recommend going to ATT store because Apple store will not be as good at accessing your account. If you have any discounts already in place then definitely go to ATT store as I have read Apple stores can not add discounts to plans.

even just call ATT and get a breakdown of the options.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #29
iomatic
Thumbs Must Hurt

So, to possibly get the pricing:

a) can I activate my old iPhone, or does the iPhone have to belong and already work for someone?

b) will the discount then appear online? meaning, do existing 1G iPhone account holders see the $199/$299 price? (i'm crossing my fingers to hope that the pricing then becomes updated here).
Old 08-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #30
test54
BlackBerry Master

i have no idea about online, but yes if you have an active iphone account you are eligible to get the iphone 3G at the 199/299 prices.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #31
iomatic
Thumbs Must Hurt

It's sounding more like there's a cut off date (for old iPhone users).

:(
Old 08-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #32
iomatic
Thumbs Must Hurt

perhaps; but I think the hofo forums made it fairly clear: I can buy the more 'expensive' 399/499 iphone now, but my deadline for buying yet another phone at a subsidized price does not change.

So, even if my contract is up in Jan. 2010, I can still buy an iPhone a year from now, and a few months before Jan. 2010, and get subsidized pricing for the next phone. But buying a year from now means, my contract will then extend two years from the purchase of the iPhone. Clear as mud. :D
Closed Thread