Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
Mdraha

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Can't figure out how to use tasks...real important

Please Login to Remove!

I'm trying to get myself organized because real soon my days will be filled up with work, school, and a lot of other things. So I'm hoping I can use my curve to remind me at certain times to do certain things. But I can't get the damn thing to work. I tried to get it to go off 5 minutes from when I created the task, but nothing happened.

To test it out for it to ring 5 minutes from now I tried this...

1. I create a new task
2. Status (this is what I'm not sure about)...I would imagine to leave it on "Not Started" since I didn't do it yet, but I tried every single option in this with no luck.
3. Priority: Normal
4. Due: Today's date, 5 minutes from now
5. Reminder: Relative, 5 min
6. Recurrence: Daily
7. Every: 1 (I have no idea what this means)
8. End: Never

I just really need something to go off Monday - Friday...so "daily" might get annoying on Saturdays and Sundays.

Any help please?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #2
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

How about setting up recurring events in your calender for certain times each day. As for tasks... I found that by default the reminder is set to vibrate only so you need to go into the profile you are using and change the Task notifications to Tone and select the sound you want it to make.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Same as above I have used Outlook for a few years now and have never been able to figure out how to set up tasks.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

there is some pretty useful instructions in the BB user manual.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

If you need something to go off Monday through Friday, just using "weekly" instead of "daily" for recurrence. Then just click each of the days you want the reminder for.

As for the Every: based on your daily recurrence, "Every" is asking for "every how many days you want the reminder."

I did a quick test by creating a new task for myself. Used the same criteria as you. Keep in mind, reminders in notes don't have alarms (that's a calendar function). But it does give you a red LED and pop-up reminder window.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

What I can't figure out is say I want to set a task for a week how do you get a reminder to go off every day and not just on the end day.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:37 PM   #7
Reverse

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Here's what I did:

- set up a calendar in Google
- set up events, appointments etc in Google calendar
- if you have a data plan: have it sync with your BB through Google Sync
- if you don't: have Google calendar send you SMS messages at set times (1hr before for instance)

Works like a charm. Syncing works both ways BTW.

A similar deal is available for syncing with Outlook, which makes setting up tasks even easier, but I chose Google Calendar because I can access it anywhere, from any PC. I had my wife and daughter set up their calendars as well, and share them with me. Now I get their alerts as well.

It also allowed me to forgo Outlook/MS Office and use Open Office instead. Very nice, equivalent to MS Office for my needs, and free!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #8
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

I kinda like MS Office and since I have the 2007 Enterprise addition I am going to use it. But thanks for your info.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:29 AM   #9
pegb856
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: Head
Carrier: Sprint

Oh My Goodness I use my tasks for everything and love the function. The "Reccurence" feature you can set to daily, weekly, monthly or yearly. Once that is set the next line is for setting the correct date/dates for that recurrence. As stated before go into your profiles and make sure you have changed the task reminder from mute to tone and set the tone you want to use. Don't forget the correct volume setting also. I don't use any program on my PC or the web for setting up tasks and calendar functions. My Blackberry is all I need and it's superb!!

Don't forget to backup regularly with Desktop Manager "just in case".

Happy Berrying!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
pegb856

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
What I can't figure out is say I want to set a task for a week how do you get a reminder to go off every day and not just on the end day.
If you want the task to go off for one week straight then stop you need to set it to daily and then "Every" set to 1, meaning every 1 day that passes, every 2 would go off every other day, etc. Once you have that set then you need to set the ending date for the reminder (next line). Save it and your done.

I know you already stated your going to use outlook but hope this helps for any future needs.

Happy Berrying!
Old 08-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegb856 View Post
If you want the task to go off for one week straight then stop you need to set it to daily and then "Every" set to 1, meaning every 1 day that passes, every 2 would go off every other day, etc. Once you have that set then you need to set the ending date for the reminder (next line). Save it and your done.

I know you already stated your going to use outlook but hope this helps for any future needs.
So doing this, I set it for 5 days with a starting and ending and 10am alarm it should go off every day at 10 am right. Because the way I am looking at it the reminder time it set for the end date.

Last edited by zerog46; 08-16-2008 at 01:40 PM..
Old 08-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #12
pegb856

Leave the ending time at the default, its just a reference for however long this task is going to take. If you want the alarm to sound off at 10am, the ending point is only for reference so leave it at 1 hour or whatever you prefer but do leave a time span there. The alarm will go off at 10 am or whenever you set the "relative" setting to remind you as in 1 day ahead, 1 hour ahead, etc.

Hope this helps clarify.

Happy Berrying!
Closed Thread