BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
berrydeezz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default How can I tether for free with sprint.

Please Login to Remove!

I know that I can buy tether app but there has to be a free way to do this.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You probably need to take your post someplace else. We don't offer advice on how to circumvent policies or help you cheat the system.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

When you find out, can you also tell me how to legally put gas in my car for free?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Next...
Old 04-13-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers
When you find out, can you also tell me how to legally put gas in my car for free?
www.runyourcaronwater.com

not free, but pretty damn close ;)
Old 04-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
BBBG

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Funny how times have changed. I used this site to figure out how to tether a curve probably 2 or 3 years ago and there were all kinds of helpful instructions. Now I am switching carriers and came on here to find out again, and it appears the practice is frowned upon.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930

Yes. The carriers have changed their practices so people/sites must change as well.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBG View Post
Funny how times have changed. I used this site to figure out how to tether a curve probably 2 or 3 years ago and there were all kinds of helpful instructions. Now I am switching carriers and came on here to find out again, and it appears the practice is frowned upon.
We will help you tether. That isn't the issue. The issue is people don't want to pay the price of a tether plan and want to know how to skirt the policy and get it for free. Right or wrong, the carriers have policies in place and a fee structure. You want to use the data, you pay for it like the rest of us do.

We are not here to help users do illegal and unethical things. We are here to offer help to legitimate users with legitimate questions and problems.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
We will help you tether. That isn't the issue. The issue is people don't want to pay the price of a tether plan and want to know how to skirt the policy and get it for free. Right or wrong, the carriers have policies in place and a fee structure. You want to use the data, you pay for it like the rest of us do.

We are not here to help users do illegal and unethical things. We are here to offer help to legitimate users with legitimate questions and problems.
Well, while I agree with the sentiment expressed here and I'm not trying to open up a can of worms, IMHO this comment is a bit disingenuous when the company that produces the Tether application is a sponsor of the site.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
phantomtech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9850

Seeing as I like to stir things up. I just want to point out that the OP has an 8830 and posted in the 9600 section. Maybe they would get a better response in the 8800 section.

DJM2: IMHO, although the company that produces the tether application is a sponsor of the site, I don't think they say hey, use our product and screw your carrier. As I have not looked at the application (I tether my BB without the application), I am quite sure that it just makes tethering easier but you are still responsible for making sure you have the proper data package.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
berrydeezz

Model: 8830

I don't have a 8830 and second just because you guys want to push this tether application doesn't mean I'm wrong wanting to tether my phone for free.

I already pay for data, so why do I need to pay extra to use the same data plan, anyway I found a way to do so it doesn't matter anymore. I'm just glad there are people on the side of the customer inside sucking up to carriers with whatever they say.

I've been with sprint for 10 years and as long as I had 3g I could tether for free on many phones, so I don't buy you need to pay more now to use it.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #12
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrydeezz View Post
I don't have a 8830......
Your profile says you do... You would be surprised at the number of people who post in the wrong forum.

Quote:
I already pay for data, so why do I need to pay extra to use the same data plan,......
Because some carriers state you must pay extra.

Quote:
I've been with sprint for 10 years and as long as I had 3g I could tether for free on many phones, so I don't buy you need to pay more now to use it.
Carriers change their policies / charges all the time. Since Sprint seems to be yours, why not call them and ask.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Sprint has this locked down pretty well. They always required a tethering add-on but were pretty lax about enforcing it. No more, however.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:11 AM   #14
phantomtech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9850

Quote:
I don't have a 8830 and second just because you guys want to push this tether application doesn't mean I'm wrong wanting to tether my phone for free.

I already pay for data, so why do I need to pay extra to use the same data plan, anyway I found a way to do so it doesn't matter anymore. I'm just glad there are people on the side of the customer inside sucking up to carriers with whatever they say.

1. Your profile states you have the 8830. Why don't you fix that.
2. I'm not sure who "you guys" are, but I neither work for the tethering company nor do I have a position on the forums other than that of another user.
3. I have also been with Sprint for 10 years. I have been using a BlackBerry on Sprint for the majority of that time. And yes, back in the day, you could tether your BB without paying extra not now. Depending on the data package you have, you may be allowed to tether with no issues. If you do not, once Sprint realizes you are tethering, you will get billed for the amount you use.
4. I am not taking the side of the carrier over that of a customer, I am however on the side of the customer's who are sick of people, lying, cheating and stealing products that in turn increase the costs to everyone because some people can not be bothered to pay for the things they want.
5. Seeing as you seem to think you should be given something for free, here's some free advice: It doesn't pay to be a thief.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #15
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:

Please update your profile to show the correct information.

You have to pay because the carrier says so. Period. They can see your usage so there is no way around it really.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #16
madmachinist

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

What you are asking for in your particular case is help stealing. determining if stealing is wrong in this particular case is up to you. Do not expect everyone to share your same moral compass. If other people dont want to help you steal for whatever reason, its ok. There is nothing wrong with having differing opinions/morality.

If your previous carrier was T-Mobile, that may explain why you are expecting to get tethering(using your phone a a modem)for free. Historically they have been the only carrier that I know of that officially endorsed tethering with a blackberry data plan without paying and additional fee.

As for the other big 3, At&t, Verizon and Sprint all have policies that require you to pay an extra fee for tethering. I am not saying that it is not technically possible to steal service, just that to tether legitimately, Carriers charge a fee.

NOTE: I believe T-Mobiles policy may be related to that fact that for many years they only offered 2G(EDGE) data, so the potential for people to abuse the tethering friendly policy was minimal. Now that they are rolling out their 3G network, that policy may change/may have already changed.

Last edited by madmachinist; 04-28-2010 at 01:06 PM..
Old 04-28-2010, 11:40 PM   #17
Chrscott22
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630

Just call Sprint and ask them to enable your account to use your phone as modem. It's free with the Blackberry plans.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:47 AM   #18
daphne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrscott22 View Post
Just call Sprint and ask them to enable your account to use your phone as modem. It's free with the Blackberry plans.
Not any more. I guess you didn't read the thread.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #19
daphne

Just for kicks, I went to the Sprint website and went through the BlackBerry ordering process. Then a chat window came up and I asked the guy how much to add tethering to a BlackBerry plan.

He said they don't offer that any more and that I could get a broadband card.

See screenshot of chat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sprint.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	18315  
Old 04-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #20
Chrscott22
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Not any more. I guess you didn't read the thread.

Ummm, yes they do. I guess you're just misinformed.
Closed Thread