Old 10-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #1
llashero
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telstra
Question Can this be done??

Please Login to Remove!

I have a sync dilemma with the BB: I want to sync my 8100 with Outlook, and I don't want it to delete all my past appointments from Outlook, which it wants to do. Surely Intellisync is Intellisync enough to do this?

The only way I can see to do this is to set sync config for Calendar to "future appts only". This means I can't modify past or completed items and have them synced with the BB.

Is there any way to get Intellisync to sync past appts without trying to delete completed appts from Outlook?

Thanks llashero
Old 10-11-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Bennett5000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Are you in a BES? Company server? Sync with Lotus Notes or some other Compay program? Calendar/options should allow you to sync and save forever unless you BES admin restricts this..Happened to me. They switched me off and I changed it on the calendar option and then they turned me back on. The "forever" options only shows up when the BES admins took me off. Could be your prob also.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
llashero

At the moment I am not connected to any BB service. I am syncing the BB directly through USB with my notebook. Although it is a work device, to be connected to my employer's enterprise server, one day.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Bennett5000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900

Try going into your calendar/options/keep appts/forever
Old 10-12-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
llashero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett5000 View Post
Try going into your calendar/options/keep appts/forever

Can you tell me where this setting is? I cannot find it in Outlook 2007, Intellisync or on the BB options.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
BillyBuff

On your Blackberry...
- Open up Calendar
- Press the Menu key
- Scroll to Options and click that
- Once you're in Calendar Options, scroll to the bottom and change "Keep Appointments" to "Forever".
- Then press the Menu key again and Save it

I ponder at times at how I can be a AT&T customer for over 15 years...
Old 10-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

That won't do it. You need to go into the Desktop Manager >Syncronize. There should be settings in there to have the desktop overwrite the handheld. Look in the configurations, etc. for Syncronize.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
dex
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Telus

Ya, if you go into CONFIGURE PIM you'll see options for

Handheld Wins
Outlook Wins
Ask First
something else
something else
Old 10-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
llashero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBuff View Post
On your Blackberry...
- Open up Calendar
- Press the Menu key
- Scroll to Options and click that
- Once you're in Calendar Options, scroll to the bottom and change "Keep Appointments" to "Forever".
- Then press the Menu key again and Save it
Thanks: I have tried looking in Calendar - Options on the BB and there is no "Keep Appts" option there. The last option on the list is "Number of Entries".

Help!

llashero
Old 10-12-2007, 05:19 PM   #10
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I have "Keep Appointments" in my Calendar Options. it's there, 2 lines above "Number of Entries."

However, forget about that. It won't solve your problem. And it actually has nothing to do with your problem. I posted the solution above.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #11
llashero

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
That won't do it. You need to go into the Desktop Manager >Syncronize. There should be settings in there to have the desktop overwrite the handheld. Look in the configurations, etc. for Syncronize.
This has really got me baffled: its as if Intellisync has a mind of its own. Sometimes it tells me it wants to delete 800 items in Outlook, then it changes its mind when I set a limited range of items to schedule. Now I have set it back to sync all scheduled appts and it no longer wants to delete the 800 items, but does ask my permission to delete some seemingly random items in the handheld. All I really want is for the organiser appts, past present and future, to be identical in both Outlook and the BB, which is what MS's sync utilities seem to understand "sync" means, but Intellisync can't. (I'm no fan of MS but they seem, in their Active sync/mobile device centre/WM5 etc, to have got this right.) The only way to do this seems to be delete the handheld's calendar items using the Desktop manager and start over.

PS, Yes, I have set every setting I can find in DM to have Outlook overwrite/overrule, win, defeat etc. the handheld.

Any other suggestions, am I misunderstanding some of the logic of syncing with the BB?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #12
llashero

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I have "Keep Appointments" in my Calendar Options. it's there, 2 lines above "Number of Entries."
Yes, no sign of it my menu! I'd attach a screen dump if I could. There is a horizontal line above "Number of Entries" and 2 lines above this is "Show End Time in Agenda View"

Also, shouldn't there be an item in the Calendar options to enable wireless syncing of the BB?? It was there before I'm sure because I had to turn it off! It is an option for the address book. Where would it have gone?

Last edited by llashero; 10-12-2007 at 10:10 PM..
Old 10-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #13
llashero

OK, this is really weird. Unplugging and resyncing the device, with an interval of about 20minutes in between, and nothing done to the BB or Outlook, Intellisync again wants to delete 3 Calendar items from Outlook in August. Bear in mind every setting is set to Outllook defeats BB with extreme prejudice.

WTF? It didn't have any changes 20mins ago. Why would this be???

EDIT: tried resyncing: this time the handheld doesn't want to make changes to Outlook, but Outlook wants to add 853 items to the handheld. More comfortable with this but no less mystified.

EDIT: LOL! Latest sync...nothing changed in either Outlook or handheld..."The following changes from Handheld will be applied to MS Outlook calendar: 450 Deletions"...Hmmm, don't like the sound of that, given Outlook is my "master" PIM. Press resync..."The following changes from MS Outlook will be applied to Handheld: 450 Additions"...sounds better, I might go with that.

Sorry that this is sounding like a deranged blog, just that the sync process is so...exciting, I want to keep updating.

Will reboot everything and try over again. This device's support software is an enigma wrapped in a nightmare.

Last edited by llashero; 10-12-2007 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: new issue
Closed Thread