Old 11-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #1
Tifosi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Speed, or Lack There Of

Please Login to Remove!

I want to love this phone. I really do. I mean after all, I was standing in front of the store at 5am this morning. That being said, I think I hate it. I am really trying to love it.

I have boiled it down to the major issue that I have with the phone. IT'S SLOW!!! Slow as can be. I am constantly wanting the phone to do things, but have to wait for it to think it out. Is this something that firmware can really change, or have they tasked the phone to do too much?

I'm holding on, but by a very thin thread...
Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

It's something that can be resolved with an OS update, or so I've been hearing.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
budd1983

Model: 8330
Carrier: verizon

I would say just give it time, remember it is brand new and takes time to get use to it. I agree mine is a bit slow to, however my buddy is a verizon rep and he told me they will be doing updated firmware to fix the lag and other bugs it may have. Yhey want this phone to be bigger then the Iphone which it has potential to do. SO HANG IN THERE
Old 11-22-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930

Quote:
Originally Posted by budd1983 View Post
SO HANG IN THERE
This is the problem. People shouldn't be expected to wait for a software update to have a fully functioning device. The lauch should have been delayed until the problems were resolved.

BES 5.0.4 ~ BES 10.1
Old 11-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
hnsimpson
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: pm me for it

Wirelessly posted (8310 AT&T)

It sounds as if it is functioning, just slower than you expect it to.

There will most likely be an update sooner rather than later.

Either be patient and enjoy your new Berry or return it and get a device that is more mature in the market.

-simpson

-Young MC
Old 11-22-2008, 06:52 AM   #6
BigA
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsimpson View Post
Wirelessly posted (8310 AT&T)

It sounds as if it is functioning, just slower than you expect it to.

There will most likely be an update sooner rather than later.

Either be patient and enjoy your new Berry or return it and get a device that is more mature in the market.

-simpson
Agreed, for those who are impatient or just don't like it, please return it back to Verizon so that those of us who do want it can get it.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
Donbp

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post
I want to love this phone. I really do. I mean after all, I was standing in front of the store at 5am this morning. That being said, I think I hate it. I am really trying to love it.

I have boiled it down to the major issue that I have with the phone. IT'S SLOW!!! Slow as can be. I am constantly wanting the phone to do things, but have to wait for it to think it out. Is this something that firmware can really change, or have they tasked the phone to do too much?

Have you loaded up your microsd? If you have it will take hours to catalog all that crap and during that time everything will be at a snail's pace. When it's done it should be fine.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #8
Silversmok3

Model: 8310

Return the Storm.

Keep in mind you're keeping this telephone for two years,maybe longer.

Its pretty important then that you must be happy with the phone AS IS,because while Verizon will release an update,it may not fix the speed issue to your liking .

And there's no timeframe when it'll come out,so the update's release will likely be well past your 30 day trial period.
You don't want to pay nearly $300 for a phone that you're frustrated with.

Return it.That way you're no hanging on to false expectations,and someone who's gonna like the Storm regardless of the lag can own it.

After playing with it at the Verizon store I am greived to say its UI is tractor slow.After learning to type on my Curve's right-now responsive keypad the Storm's "Wait a second" touchpad is aggrivating.

The demo phone then refused to load Blackberry forums.

I feel you're pain,but do yourself a favor and get you're money back or a phone that you can enjoy for 24 months,no strings attached.
-Silversmok3
Old 11-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #9
Shatiek

Model: 9530

I say if you are an early adopter, rule # 1 should be expect bugs etc. The Iphone 3g of today isn't the Iphone they launched over a year ago. Bug fixes will come with time. I am willing to bet 6 months down the road you will be babying The Storm and typing fast as always. We have many people that want the Storm to fail. I for one want the Storm to be all it can be. As I said before...Give it time!!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
whsbuss

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
Agreed, for those who are impatient or just don't like it, please return it back to Verizon so that those of us who do want it can get it.
Meet me tomorrow around 10 am in Philly. Mine is going back.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
webmstrk9
Thumbs Must Hurt

There is no perfect device or OS. More than likely it'll never happen. There were a number of reviews and critiques done. A lot of people want to replace their Apple product with a single device, this will not happen anytime soon.

*I* know going in when purchasing this phone from the reviews and videos, that there will be some areas which needs improvements. Knowing this, I still went forward and purchased it along with several thousands.

With that said, I have had both generations of the iphone, I even waited in line for the 3g in NYC(an exp i'll never regret) and was it worth it? No, at first the reception sucked, 1-2 bars in manhattan while i was in NYC, then back in houston where it's flat and basically bare, 1 bar with 3g and constant dropped calls on edge. After 2 months of dealing with ATT and Apple and 3 replacement phones, no resolution. If I cant use a phone for its intended use, phone and multimedia, what's the point. Dont get me wrong, the apps and maps function were great, but without the phone being there almost 100% of the time, I finally dumped it.

Now with the Storm, yeah, I'm still in the honeymoon period, I can accept the flaws of it. Time will only tell how this device holds up in terms of use and configurability. As more apps become available(think 1st gen app, were there any 3rd party apps to install, web based does not count) the Storm will become a different device than it is now.

Again, sucks to hear about the frustration, but you take the good with the bad.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:16 PM   #12
jimmypowder

Model: 8100
Carrier: verizon

[QUOTE=jgb@etree;1178194]This is the problem. People shouldn't be expected to wait for a software update to have a fully functioning device. The lauch should have been delayed until the problems were resolved.[/QUOTE
I couln't have said it better.

This phone is very slow.There are reports that the software on the storm
was DOWNGRADED at the store because of a security problem.If true,
this may have slowed down response time on the phone.

If there is any truth to this at all I would have to characterize the storm
launch as a total failure
Old 11-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #13
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

WOW. People love to complain about everything. If you love technology you will work with BB to get it fixed, meaning play the game with the phone and wait till the release comes out for an update. Look at Google. Everything is beta, never works the right way all the time, Chrome for e.g. Wont work on some proxies with the sandbox. Anywho, if you hate it return it, let me get it from you. Be patient and things will work out in the end.

That is my rant for today, people just can never find the good in products by anyone.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #14
black betty
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: PRICK
Carrier: TMO/AT&T

lol i love it, the complaint is that its slow, and someone advised him to give it time. lmao
Old 11-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #15
holden

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

I am on board with the slow...
Just for fun, today I went to the mall and stopped in at Verizon to check out the phone. Not so fast - as the OP said. I menu'd through the phone for 10 minutes and found myself waiting for things to menu. For example, I used the video feature and wanted to see the default video's that came with the phone... A bit slow ... like hit the menu.... still waiting ... to ... bring up... the ... video's ... that are ... in ... the ... menu list.... Finally they show, ok, and then menu the list... and... it... is a bit .... slow... Video ran fine and at speed so at this point perhaps I needed a three finger salute

I hope if a new OS straightens this out, it will be a good - even great phone. I started to like the touch screen - so much so that I used it for about 10 minutes. In fact I got used to it very quickly and liked the screen keyboard. It is not a 9000.

So, after working the phone for about 10 minutes - I then took out my Bold and tried to open my email by touching the screen! (laughing - more than once) It took a few seconds to realize I have a roller and I was expecting to push the icons on the screen of my Bold to open my email - (quite a chuckle when I got myself together) So, with that, the touch screen is intoxicating and totally absorbed my attention...
Old 11-23-2008, 10:25 PM   #16
jnyost

Model: 9550

It's been reviewed as slow from the beginning. If this is new then you didn't do your homework. It'll be fixed.

If a product was to be pushed back until it was perfect, it would never be released.

Seems like the launch to me was far from a failure. There are still many people chomping at the bits to get one.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #17
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
It's been reviewed as slow from the beginning. If this is new then you didn't do your homework. It'll be fixed.

If a product was to be pushed back until it was perfect, it would never be released.

Seems like the launch to me was far from a failure. There are still many people chomping at the bits to get one.
You summed that up perfectly !!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:11 PM   #18
Bugg77

Model: 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi View Post

Uninstall VZNav and Visual Voice Mail (assuming you don't use them) and that will be a big help to your phone... or so I've heard.

Also, we are definitely the early adopters for this new technology by RIM/VZW. The iphone had/has plenty of issues since launch. I trust RIM to get it right more than I trust Apple. FWIW, another forum has been saying an OS update will be out on Monday.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:24 AM   #19
TheBigNewt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

I'm gonna give it another chance because: storephones are being used by so many people they're probably messed up. I couldn't do a battery pull on the one I messed with and you probably can't either (cord attached in back, etc). And they released it with the .65 (slow) OS. Mistake, but evidently the one they had on it had "security problems" and they had to roll back for the launch Friday. I think it'll be better with the new one. I'll wait until then and try again. And I'll make the store dude pull the battery too.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:24 AM   #20
uniqueblade

Carrier: verizon 4.7.0.75

My storm is asleep half the day and or just waking up. SLUGGISH! It is like everyone else has written, first come, first to be served, a helping of beta software. We are all beta testers and need to start calling verizon with the results, so we will get our updates that are so badly needed. Forums are great for helping each other out, but complaining is for the service centers at Verizon.

Can I get an AMEN!
Closed Thread