Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:13 PM   #782
nikolaos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

First and foremost. Thank you for taking the time to post this thread

I have a 8820 with att and I followed your steps and deleted all I could. From 20 mb left, I went to 25 mb left. I wanted more free memory so I tried to delete the setupwizard file from the java folder. This caused my status not to work. So I restored the file I deleted by putting it back in the java folder. This caused the blackberry destop manager to do a complete delete and clean install of the operating system. At the end, I had to restore my settings etcc and load the service books again. Even though I didn't really change anything from the last changes, my berry now has 38 mb free memory. I am happy to own a bb again!!!

Thank you

Nikos
Old 05-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #783
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Yep....I recommend sticking to the files I specify. The setup wizard can't be removed.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #784
mikemyu

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Yep....I recommend sticking to the files I specify. The setup wizard can't be removed.

John what about the Russian character and Semitic character on the phone under Blackberry in the applications, have you deleted that off the phone? I don't want to delete it if it is going to affect the functionality of the phone.
Please let me know.
Thanks
Old 05-18-2008, 11:46 PM   #785
DrjonesUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemyu
Quote:

John what about the Russian character and Semitic character on the phone under Blackberry in the applications, have you deleted that off the phone? I don't want to delete it if it is going to affect the functionality of the phone.
Please let me know.
Thanks
I'm not John nor do I play him on TV, but Russian can definitely be removed as well as "GB" (British English) files. There is also a file, something like "ling_gb" that can also be deleted safely - its around 200k. Yes that is "ling," not "lang."

Not sure about the semitic files - John?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:49 PM   #786
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Leave the semitic. When I started taking those out (and the latin) the fonts started looking funky. Also, most of those don't get installed if you don't check those languages in the application loader so it really doesn't matter if you remove them from the java folder.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:52 PM   #787
mikemyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
Wirelessly posted

I'm not John nor do I play him on TV, but Russian can definitely be removed as well as "GB" (British English) files. There is also a file, something like "ling_gb" that can also be deleted safely - its around 200k. Yes that is "ling," not "lang."

Thank you very much for your help. Where can I find this "ling_gb" file? Will I see that in the Applications or do I have to dig deeper than that meaning hooking up my phone to the computer?
Thank you appreciate this.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #788
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Don't worry about the "ling_gb" files. Just uncheck all the extra languages in the application loader. Those won't be installed.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:55 PM   #789
mikemyu

Quote:
Leave the semitic. When I started taking those out (and the latin) the fonts started looking funky. Also, most of those don't get installed if you don't check those languages in the application loader so it really doesn't matter if you remove them from the java folder.

Thank you John. So I can delete the Russian characters safely.
Thank you.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:22 AM   #790
DrjonesUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Don't worry about the "ling_gb" files. Just uncheck all the extra languages in the application loader. Those won't be installed.
Sir, I did uncheck all the languages in DM, but when I look thru the system files on my handheld, I saw "net_rim_tid_dynamic_ling_data_english_gb_35K_2.co d" but it is 187 kb in size, not 35k as the name would imply.

I have removed it from my curve with no ill effects.

There are also two arabic files in the java folder as well - are those necessary?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:23 AM   #791
DrjonesUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
Wirelessly posted

Thank you very much for your help. Where can I find this "ling_gb" file? Will I see that in the Applications or do I have to dig deeper than that meaning hooking up my phone to the computer?
Thank you appreciate this.
Forgot to add - this ling file is in the java folder, same as the rest of the .cods.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #792
DrjonesUSA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Also, John - where are the latin files? I did not see any, though I probably don't know the filename.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #793
John Clark
BBF Moderator

If they're being installed and you see them in your list of modules then, yeah, go ahead and remove them. If it's around 200k, then it's worth it. When you get down to the smaller .cod's, it's hardly worth it.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:58 AM   #794
mikemyu

Maybe somebody a lot more knowledgeable can explain what this means to me, when I connect my device and open up BDM and then click on "Application Loader" I get this message saying:
"The BlackBerry Desktop Software does not have BlackBerry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator."

Can somebody please educate me on what this means, thank you very much for your help.
Also how are you guys able to access all those files that Johnclark is talking about like removing and adding or deleting.
I'm sure Johnclark you can answer this question for me. I'm really new with BB's and would very much appreciate everybody's guidance and help. I appreciate the patience too. Just trying to learn.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:17 AM   #795
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Mikemyu,
You need to go back and read the instructions again. You've left out step number 2. You need to install the handheld device software in addition to Desktop manager. There are links in my post for the software. When you get to the Verizon site there are several downloads there. One is Desktop Manager Software and the other is Handheld Device Software.

Please read my post again and follow each step.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:31 AM   #796
mikemyu

Quote:
Mikemyu,
You need to go back and read the instructions again. You've left out step number 2. You need to install the handheld device software in addition to Desktop manager. There are links in my post for the software. When you get to the Verizon site there are several downloads there. One is Desktop Manager Software and the other is Handheld Device Software.

Please read my post again and follow each step.
Oh, I see...I need to download the device software in order for me to see all those files you are talking about. Desktop Manager Software is already installed in my computer, the CD that came with the phone. I thought I can just connect my phone using USB to the computer to see all those files. I think I'm understanding things a little bit better. Once I have downloaded the Device Software, that is where I can make the necessary changes. Thank you very much for your patience John. I really really appreciate this.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #797
codered78
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #798
Sirthinks

Model: 9000
PIN: 207B9580
Carrier: Rogers (9000) Telus (8330)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonWireless View Post
lm Loving life since i got my old 8700 ringtones on my 2 curve's
2 curves?? Someone is greedy!!

Try a 7100i an 8830 and an 8330. Can't wait for the 9000s.

Great guide by the way!!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:23 AM   #799
logicbomb.de

Model: 8110
PIN: 24680918

Hello all!

Great guide, I have 24MB free!

Just one question,

I can't seem to get BB maps to show up on my device.

I've got an 8110 on AT&T.

I've removed all the vendor codes from blackberry.alx and platform.alx, but LBS,alx has no vendor codes in it at all, what gives?

What else should I edit in order to get BB maps to showup on 8110 pearl?

TIA!!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:04 AM   #800
codered78
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint
Default Two Phones

My Wife And I Both Have Blackberry's. I Have A Sprint 8330. She Has A At&t 8310. I Have Already Done The Memory Stuff To Mine, Works Great. Do I Need To Create Her A Login On My Laptop And Edit All New Files For Her Or Can I Just Reedit The Files I Already Have And Sync Her On My Proflie?