Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
mic_crispy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Andriod / Samsung Captivate... my 2 cents

Please Login to Remove!

I used a captivate for about 3 months. before that i used various blackberrys for about 4 years.

What i liked: I LOVED the browser, Apps, customization (adding contacts to home screen), and the notification system. Emails display great (ESP HTML ones vs the BB). Attachments display perfectly (XML, DOC, PDF etc). Auto-sync with my Gmail contacts and calender is great, aswell as the facebook integration. The media player is wonderful... Recording in 720p is very cool too.

What i didn't like: Battery life sucks, bad (compared to BB). while swype is GREAT, it doesn't replace a keyboard is most situations (especially on the go). Andriod can be buggy. The Email client (not Gmail, but exchange) can be very laggy (takes a while to get emails, and when you refresh tends to lag the phone for a second). Editing long paragraphs is a pain in the ass (hard to select certain words). The speakerphone isnt great, and i hate not having a dedicated mute button.

So alas, I went back to the 9700 because i missed the keyboard and compact size. (i work at a att store so i can use anything). The navigation can also be easier with the BB (more straightforward)... But im not sure how long it will last.

So has anyone else made the jump to andriod? Hopefully this will help some of you who are on the fence make a decision!
Old 10-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Jumped to the Vibrant (T-Mobile) and jumped back to the 9700. Same complaints - terrible battery life, buggy/laggy OS ("but that all changes with 2.2") and missing some critical apps that I need for work.
Old 10-11-2010, 03:35 AM   #3
lolailo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic_crispy View Post
I used a captivate for about 3 months. before that i used various blackberrys for about 4 years.

What i liked: I LOVED the browser, Apps, customization (adding contacts to home screen), and the notification system. Emails display great (ESP HTML ones vs the BB). Attachments display perfectly (XML, DOC, PDF etc). Auto-sync with my Gmail contacts and calender is great, aswell as the facebook integration. The media player is wonderful... Recording in 720p is very cool too.

What i didn't like: Battery life sucks, bad (compared to BB). while swype is GREAT, it doesn't replace a keyboard is most situations (especially on the go). Andriod can be buggy. The Email client (not Gmail, but exchange) can be very laggy (takes a while to get emails, and when you refresh tends to lag the phone for a second). Editing long paragraphs is a pain in the ass (hard to select certain words). The speakerphone isnt great, and i hate not having a dedicated mute button.

So alas, I went back to the 9700 because i missed the keyboard and compact size. (i work at a att store so i can use anything). The navigation can also be easier with the BB (more straightforward)... But im not sure how long it will last.

So has anyone else made the jump to andriod? Hopefully this will help some of you who are on the fence make a decision!

I'm both BB and Android user and as in every comparison one is better than the other in specific aspects.

But i just have to say that i like more my Android than my BB, call me weird but that's how i feel about mi two phones.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
cb808

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

I must say, BB battery life >>>> Androids.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile
Default Re: Andriod / Samsung Captivate... my 2 cents

I just made the jump last week, though I'm keeping my bb.
The battery life does suck rocks big time, but I am finding myself adapting to that part. I am loving this big screen and just how many apps I paid for on bb are free. The size is also a little huge, but again I find myself getting use to it.
Don't get me wrong though. Blackberry will always be #1 to me.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
fadmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

But don't forget we are comparing two different worlds. I foind bb battery unbeatable but then again, i am not nearly as attracted to use BB as I am to use iphone or android. BB= business and no fun really. vs. iphone and droid = fun and some business. That's why you battery life is shorter as well. My 2 cents...
Old 12-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

The Galaxy S line of Samsung Android phones sucks in my opinion. Sure they look pretty, but they have had GPS problems from the start that have still not been corrected. Samsung is very slow in rolling out 2.2. Motorola Droid phones have had it since Sept. No camera flash, you got to be kidding me Samsung! I got the Captavate because it was basically the only ATT Android phone worth a crap. I'm actually thinking of moving to a more Android friendly carrier.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
The Galaxy S line of Samsung Android phones sucks in my opinion. Sure they look pretty, but they have had GPS problems from the start that have still not been corrected. Samsung is very slow in rolling out 2.2. Motorola Droid phones have had it since Sept. No camera flash, you got to be kidding me Samsung! I got the Captavate because it was basically the only ATT Android phone worth a crap. I'm actually thinking of moving to a more Android friendly carrier.
Why not get one of the unlocked ones that are made for Telstra? They usually have at least HSDPA 850 in them. I've also seen other random ones that have 850 and 1900 in them on Expansys.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

I made the switch 4 months ago and don't anticipate going back to a BB.

I have a Captivate, and while I may not have a Samsung the next time, I likely will stick with Android. The email is worse, although some of the free apps are way better than the stock app. Typing is harder. But I rarely need to type a medium amount, it is either a short reply, or I have to type a long message, in which case I use a computer.

But the browser experience is just so much better and the app selection is better, or at least better matches what I use. Flash is great. More than a few free wifi's have log-in screens (do you accept these terms, blah, blah) in flash, which I can now use.

Overall it's just less painful. Once when I was trying to buy a house, my bank sent me a message on their private message system. I tried for about 20 minutes while in a parking lot to read the message, before I finally got Bolt to display it. The regular browser and Opera looked like they were going to display the message but never did.

Other than for work, I don't have much need to boot up the computer anymore since the screen is good and the speed is fast.

Some things I miss about the BB besides the keyboard and email -
built in file encryption - there are encryption apps available for Android, but then things have to be unencrypted each time
voice recognition - the built in one sucks, Vlingo works fairly well, but it would be nicer if Google's weren't so bad to begin with. BB did a much better job, although it does less things.

To be fair, I've been running versions of Froyo on my phone for about 3 months, which performs better than stock and has some nice improvements. On stock it was a little laggy and if I were still running that, it wouldn't be as good an experience. But that's also another good thing about Android. Froyo was available fairly quickly after it became available for other phones.
Closed Thread