Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint
Default Joe Paterno a scapegoat?

Please Login to Remove!

As a resident of Pennsylvania, and pretty close to State College, this entire episode hits pretty hard. I do agree that Joe Paterno should have done more, I agree that he is guilty for not doing more, and his firing was warranted. I understand the reasoning of taking his statue and also, while harsh, taking away all of his wins since 1998. Not taking away all the good he has done for the community or the university, he made some bad decisions in favor of a friend and a football program. He put them before the safety and well being of children.

However, a name you're not hearing too much about is Tom Corbett. Corbett is the current Governor of Pennsylvania. Prior to becoming Governor, Corbett was the Attorney General. He knew of the accusations against Sandusky, and stated he was shocked, and would look into it. He did launch an investigation, with one agent (possibly two). The agents were narcotic agents, not agents who deal with child sexual abuse cases. Sandusky was not arrested while the investigation was taking place. He could have been arrested and then posted bail. If this would have happened, the media would have picked up on the story and Sandusky would have been under a microscope. However, that never happened.

Also, the Second Mile was under investigation by Corbett in 2008, but Corbett received a $25,000 campaign contribution in 2010 from Second Mile. He didn't return this contribution because, in his words, "it would've tipped off The Second Mile that its founder was being investigated for alleged child sex abuse." The timing doesn't make sense.

Corbett was also on the Penn State Board of Trustees, he was responsible for the firing of Joe Paterno, yet he suffered no consequences, when he was able to do more than Joe Paterno could have. Paterno put a football program before the safety and well being of children, while Corbett put campaigning before the safety and well being of children

Still to this day, no one is talking about Tom Corbett. He still has free reign as Governor of Pennsylvania. Joe Paterno was fired for not doing more than just passing someone else's account of Sandusky's alleged impropriety to his superiors. He lost his statue and wins since 1998, yet Corbett, by his clear conflict of interest, has done far worse. Corbett should resign now, but the media is turning a blind eye to him and what he has done, or lack of what he has done.

Your thoughts?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]

Last edited by jsconyers; 07-23-2012 at 10:23 AM..
Old 07-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Joe Paterno a scapegoat?

You won't like this response, but...

Joe Paterno is not the scapegoat here. He was absolutely part of the problem and the coverup. And he is also not here to defend himself.

Although I believe the NCAA penalties are too harsh (I wouldn't take away scholarships) I think Penn State has to move beyond this and the cult like status that a very human man was allowed to achieve. And he's not alone.

Alleged impropriety seems a bit callous when the man was convicted on 45 of 48 counts...
Old 07-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
jsconyers

I completely agree with your response. I agree he was part of of the problem and the coverup. However, so was Tom Corbett. He knew about the accusations at the time. How could the Louis Freeh go through the emails but Corbett couldn't? Was it because Corbett was planning his campaign and bringing down the beloved Joe Paterno before a campaign would have hindered his chances on winning? Was his campaign for Governor more important than the safety of the children? All I am saying is I wish the media would move on from what Paterno did (or lack thereof), because we all know that he didn't do enough. My question is why the media isn't focusing on Corbett's involvement in this case.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Very valid questions - perhaps something for newspapers in Harrisburg to investigate...
Old 07-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

Joe P is not a scapegoat. He could have brought down a monster and didn't. No excuse for that. None whatsoever.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

I thought Christine Brennan said it best in a USA Today column a few days ago.

"Penn State has said it will make a decision soon on whether it will allow the statue of Joe Paterno to stay or go. But, really now, how long should it take a university to determine if it wants to keep a statue honoring the man who willingly allowed a child rapist to roam its football facility with the boys he victimized for 13 years?"
Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
jsconyers

I am not arguing that Joe Paterno wasn't guilty, because he was. What I am saying is the an investigation needs to be done for all people that were involved in this case. This case is much bigger than Paterno or the football program.

Tom Corbett is on the Penn State Board of Trustees (Penn State University - Board of Trustees). The Trustees are the ones that appointed Louis Freeh to do the investigation. Is it any coincidence that Corbett wasn't investigated by a guy that he hand picked to do the investigation?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Absolutely agree. He didn't act alone. I think we'll see this as the investigation and trial progress.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
What I am saying is the an investigation needs to be done for all people that were involved in this case. This case is much bigger than Paterno or the football program.
thought they were looking into more people involved
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #10
jsconyers

Former Penn State President Graham Spanier, former Athletic Director Tim Curley, and former Interim Senior Vice President for Business and Finance Gary Schultz are being investigated, but there are more pieces to the puzzle, still.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
jsconyers

WEB EXCLUSIVE: PSU Cover-upxxx8230;Connecting the Dots | American Free Press

Quote:
The Tom Corbett Connection
To understand this scandal, one must revert back to when the initial cover-up began. In early 1998 Sandusky admitted to showering naked with an 11-year-old boy inside a PSU locker room. He also confessed to hugging the pre-teen and touching his genitals. Afterward, the child told his mother, I donxxx8217;t understand, mommy. Ixxx8217;m just a little kid. I know what he did was wrong. Why didnxxx8217;t he?
When the prepubescent boyxxx8217;s mother grew increasingly troubled, she contacted authorities. At this point, according to Sara Ganim of Harrisburg, Pa.xxx8217;s Patriot News on November 11, 2011, Then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar set up a sting in the motherxxx8217;s house. Sandusky had requested to meet with the mom, and Gricar had officers hide in another room and listen to their conversation. PSU police detective Ronald Schreffler was one of those present at her residence on May 13 and 19, 1998, when the boyxxx8217;s mother confronted Sandusky.
During these meetings, the woman asked Sandusky if he had touched her sonxxx8217;s private parts.xxx8217; He replied, I donxxx8217;t think so . . . maybe. He later broke down, I understand I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I wonxxx8217;t get it from you. I wish I were dead.
Another wrinkle must be introduced to the equation. Four of Sanduskyxxx8217;s accusers,identified as victims # 4, 6, 7 and 8,all first made their acquaintance with Sandusky between 1994 and 1997 through The Second Mile (TSM). Coincidentally, the Pa. Attorney General (AG) from 1995 to 1997 was none other than Tom Corbett, who later became AG again in 2005 before being elected Governor in 2010.
Corbett claims he only learned of the Sandusky allegations in March 2009, yet he accepted over $200K in campaign contributions from trustees of the TSM (which Sandusky founded). In the quid pro quo world of politics, Corbett also re-released to TSM a $3M grant after being elected governor in 2011. Now, analyze the timeline. Corbett says he learned of the charges against Sandusky in 2009, yet two later hexxx8217;s forwarding a cool $3M to them.
If thatxxx8217;s not enough, during his second term as AG, Corbett assigned only one,yes, one,state trooper to investigate the Sandusky scandal. Then therexxx8217;s this tidbit from a January 25, 2012 Sports by Brooks column. From the month he learned of the Sandusky allegations to the day he took office as governor, Corbettxxx8217;s AG office issued 42 press releases touting hundreds of arrests by the Corbett-commissioned Child Sexual Predator Unit., Strangely enough, Corbettxxx8217;s crime-fighters didnxxx8217;t mention a single word about Sandusky. Zero.
Adding the final insult, when Corbett presided over the Trustees meeting (via speakerphone) where JoPa was made into the sacrificial scapegoat to divert the mediaxxx8217;s attention, he resorted to the most despicable of tactics. Remember that little boy in the shower,, he told the Board. Now, when it was beneficial to him, Corbett miraculously cared about an abused boyxxx8217;s welfare. Moments later, after Corbett had tugged at their heartstrings, the Board terminated JoPa as PSUxxx8217;s head football coach, hanging him out to dry so that other guilty parties could be protected. Tom Corbett is a man without shame.

*edit* sorry about all the xxx82 errors. Click the link to read it clearly.

Last edited by jsconyers; 07-26-2012 at 11:48 AM..
Old 07-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

With all this said, you still can't call JoePa a scapegoat. He knew and he didn't do anything about it.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
With all this said, you still can't call JoePa a scapegoat. He knew and he didn't do anything about it.
Maybe scapegoat isn't the right word. Maybe a fall guy? I agree he knew and didn't do anything. In that same sense, what about Mike McQueary? He witnessed the act and didn't call police, why isn't he being held accountable for not doing more, or anything?

You're right, JoePa isn't a "scapegoat", but he is the one the media is putting all the attention on when there is more to be questioned. Now that the NCAA revealed their punishement, Sandusky was found guilty, the Freeh report was released, most people think all the guilty parties have been found, but that is NOT the case.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

No, he's not the fall guy either.
McQueary told his supervisors what he saw. They chose to cover it up. And they got caught.
You have a beef with the Governor. If he is part of the coverup, he will get caught also.

Penn State built a cult around football and their beloved, imperfect coach.

It is time to move on. It's over. They are VERY lucky the entire program didn't get the four year death penalty also proposed.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Well said and I agree. Further, I think Paterno SHOULD bear the brunt of everyone's ire. He was in the best position of anyone to affect change. He was ethically (and possibly criminally) neglectful. And this is coming from some someone who had great respect for Joe Paterno for many years. Emphasis on had.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
He was in the best position of anyone to affect change.
I disagree with this. I think the Attorney General was the one in the best position of anyone to affect change. He was the one that could have arrested Sandusky while the investigation took place. I don't think a football coach could have done that. However, I agree that his neglect was morally, ethically, and criminally wrong.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

The football coach/cult leader was in charge. Not the AG. Not the University President or Board of Directors.

And he is quite dead and can't answer any of the allegations or be held accountable.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #18
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Who had more power? The AG or Joe Paterno? Clearly Paterno ran everything. Everyone answered to him. He was at the top. He could have done something. He didn't. He's not a scapegoat. He's not a fall guy. He was simply the most powerful person there and chose to do nothing about his child molesting friend, a monster.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #19
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Looks like the sports mafia finally got hit. The real problem is that it is likely that similar issues are in other programs and likely covered up.

Mommy, "Why did only the football players who have played all four years get arrested last night?"

I wonder how many university sports programs have had that situation? I know of two big ones in Texas.

My view is still the same. Take all the money out of college sports and put it into the states general fund.