Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Typhoid Mary
Default Vlingo / 9550 / VZNavigator issue

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone got Vlingo and VZ Navigator to coexist on a 9550? I installed Vlingo and everything was fine, then I discovered that VZNavigator could not pick up GPS. With the help of Verizon support, we narrowed it down to Vlingo. I uninstalled Vlingo and now VZNavigator is back to normal, no problems with GPS. However, I like the app and would use it if anyone knows of a workaround. Any help/feedback is appreciated.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
PuckerBerry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I have EXACTLY the same issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Yeah, it sucks. I originally thought I had a bad antenna because it seemed to be an intermittent (although) frequent problem. Got a new phone and ran into the exact same issue. I use Vlingo primarily for voice-dialing since I don't think the built in voice-dialing is a bit weak. I considered reinstalling on the new phone and killing its location awareness, but hope to find a workaround before I try that.

If you find a solution, please post it here. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

This is the response I got from the folks at Vlingo support. I haven't tried this yet so can't confirm whether it works or not. And, note that they indicate that this is not a permanent solution. When I get around to trying it I'll post back with results.

//////////////////////////
Thank you for contacting Vlingo Customer Support.

Our apologies for the recent problems with Vlingo and GPS. We are working on a permanent solution but in the mean time we would like you to try the following troubleshooting steps.

First, you will need to disable "Location Awareness" in Vlingo's settings.

1. Open Vlingo, press the menu key and select Options.
2. Scroll down to "Location Awareness" and change the setting to "OFF"
3. After changing Location Awareness, you will need to reboot your BlackBerry by removing the battery (pressing the power button isn't sufficient... it's necessary to pull the battery).

That can, in some instances clear the problem you're seeing.

If you continue to experience GPS interference you will need to change Vlingo's permission settings.

1. Open your BlackBerry's Settings / Options menu and select "Advanced Options"
2. Open "Applications" and either search or scroll down to find Vlingo.
3. Press the menu key and select "Edit Permissions"
4. Under "Connections" change "Location Data" to Deny.

This should fix all GPS issues but may cause Vlingo to stop functioning properly. Remember to reboot your device after saving the permission changes.

We hope to have this issue will be fully resolved shortly. Thank you for working with us to solve this problem.
//////////////////////////
Old 10-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

Directions don't work. App now says that it can't start, reboot. Rebooting does nothing. Too bad, because the voice dialing in this app is superior to the native app shipped with BBs.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
VectorMan

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I had the same problem. Have been debugging with Verizon tech support with no success for nearly a month.

Thanks so much, this worked! Is there a good alternative to Vlingo?

Last edited by VectorMan; 11-06-2010 at 09:15 AM..
Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
KOR
CrackBerry Addict

I don't know of any alternative, but I haven't really looked. I like the app much better than the built in voice dialing, but it's not that high on my priority list. I'm hoping they have a new release, but I'm not holding my breath.

Glad to hear the instructions worked for you, though; must the difference in model.
Closed Thread