Old 06-12-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
sreerajr

Model: 8320
PIN: 255D9059
Carrier: Airtel
Exclamation Problems with my Blackberry 8320 curve

Please Login to Remove!

Dear friends,

I'm from Trivandrum, Kerala, India. Recently I got a blackberry 8320 as gift from middle east, which was an unlocked version. I use my existing
Airtel prepaid connection. I felt very lucky to get a BB, but now feel really unfortunate and even surprised to see the different problems I face with the handset. The issues are described below:

1) On the very first week itself, the silver coating over the Escape button (which is on the just right side of the track ball) got vanished (as usually we see in local phones).

2) The trackball is not working properly. The vertical movement is fine. But, the horizontal movement is not proper. Some times it moves the cursor, sometimes not.

3) The most bad thing I face is the signal quality and the related issues. Many times the phone display "SOS" and once it enters SOS mode, it never returns from that even though the signal strength is high. Every time, I have to restart the phone and once restarted it will be removed from SOS. I dont know what causes this problem.

4) The power off function is not working. When ever I click on the power off, the phone says that it is going to shut down, and shows the blackberry logo, and that's it. Nothing works. It neither gets off nor on. I have to remove the battery and again insert it to get the phone started. !!!

I think you might be very surprised to read all these problems....Do you have any idea about how to solve these issues? The 'About' menu says the OS version is v4.5.0.55 (Patform 2.7.0.68)

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
widorrah
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Digicel
Default I suspect this is not a new phone

1) The silver coating doesn't rub off that easily in the first week...

2) The trackball can be cleaned - How to clean your 8300 Blackberry trackbal (pic and guide
You should try to keep it clean - don't touch it with dirty/sweaty/greasy fingers.

3) The signal issues seem OS related since it clears up with each restart

4) Also seems like an OS issue - you could try upgrading the OS
Latest OS: 8320 4.5.0.313/4.5.0.188 (Multilanguage)
Follow the instructions carefully.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
sreerajr

Hi Widorrah,

Thank you very much for the reply and guidelines.

The trackball cleaning guide is excellent. As you suggested, I will try upgrading to the latest OS.

On point 1, my brother-in-law presented me this handset. He bought this from Bahrain, just before three weeks.

Once again, thank you very much.

I will post, whether I was successful in the operations or not soon.

Thank you,

Sreeraj
Old 06-15-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
sreerajr

Hi Widorrah,

As you suggested, I tried to update my OS. However, since the link you mentioned point to another post which then points to the BB website which describes the steps in a language that is not known to me (other than english), I searched in the BB website directly. There I could find the S/W update link and updated the OS by connecting the handset to the computer. However, even after successful update, the OS version still remains as old. The good thing happened was the issues 3 and 4 those I mentioned in the first post were vanished. Thanks!

This happened just one day before. But, today morning - I dont know what would be the reason - these issues popped up again.

Is there any alternate way?

Thanks,
Sreeraj

PS: I didn't clean the trackball, which I will try later.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
wcr3d
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

To tell you the truth, after reading your story my first instinct is someone "refurbished" this phone and it has hardware problems. Anyway of returning it?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:29 PM   #6
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajr View Post
Hi Widorrah,

As you suggested, I tried to update my OS. However, since the link you mentioned point to another post which then points to the BB website which describes the steps in a language that is not known to me (other than english), I searched in the BB website directly. There I could find the S/W update link and updated the OS by connecting the handset to the computer. However, even after successful update, the OS version still remains as old. The good thing happened was the issues 3 and 4 those I mentioned in the first post were vanished. Thanks!

This happened just one day before. But, today morning - I dont know what would be the reason - these issues popped up again.

Is there any alternate way?

Thanks,
Sreeraj

PS: I didn't clean the trackball, which I will try later.
The install instructions are in the post here on Blackberry forums. The download from Blackberry is just a download. Use the AT&T one, which is the second to last version. You should be able to download the one for Claro Panama if you just try to go through the steps, but the AT&T version is pretty new as well.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html

What you ended up doing is getting the OS version for whatever carrier your phone is originally set up for. But you can use any version of the 8320 OS if you delete the "vendor.xml" file as noted in step 2 of the install instructions.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
widorrah
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
To tell you the truth, after reading your story my first instinct is someone "refurbished" this phone and it has hardware problems. Anyway of returning it?
This is quite likely.

As for your OS update issues:
The link in my previous post takes you to Claro's OS update, though it may be a Spanish link, the update is 'MultiLanguage', so it also has English. So give it try.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
devilsattitude

Model: 8320C
Carrier: Tata Docomo
Exclamation Need some help.

Hi I need some help here, I've received a BB 8320 from UK which was apart of the Vodafone Carrier their which was ulocked, I took the phone for my use. And since use I have been facing a few problems with BBmessenger service.

Back here in India I'm using a Tata Tele-service and though I have activated my BB service plan I still can't use my BBM, if I try adding somebody they don't seem to get my request and vice-versa, there's now warning or any error that pops ups. A few days back I tried looking up if the phone I'm using has been unlocked on a few website that offer unlocking option, and notice that one of such site my phone has been unlocked. So, I tried giving the phone to service center guy for them to upgrade the phone but the problem persists in spite of the upgrade.

I just wanted to know when a BB8320 is unlocked are all the services like BBM, Email, and other services as well unlocked or are they chances of some glitches like the one i'm referring to?

And does BB have an OS that can be installed on a phone and lets us use any sim on it like a univercell OS rather than those os which is made specifically for Vodafone, T-Mobile, Airtel (india) etc..,

I would really appreciate it if somebody can help me out with this.
Thanks much well in advance for your help guys!!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
widorrah
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi devilsattitude,
first off: you should've created a new thread for your issues... not highjack a (very) old thread...

Secondly, your phone is unlocked, and this is unrelated to your BBM issues. Unlocking your phone enables it to use any SIM card in it... you will still be able to use its other features...like BBM, Email, etc.

What kinda upgrade did they do at the service center?

So is your BIS plan working fine? Are you getting your e-mail on your BIS plan?
If Not: Was the phone on a BIS plan back in the UK? Was is released from that BIS plan in the UK?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:29 AM   #10
devilsattitude

Model: 8320C
Carrier: Tata Docomo
Exclamation Need ur help again on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widorrah View Post
Hi devilsattitude,
first off: you should've created a new thread for your issues... not highjack a (very) old thread...

Secondly, your phone is unlocked, and this is unrelated to your BBM issues. Unlocking your phone enables it to use any SIM card in it... you will still be able to use its other features...like BBM, Email, etc.

What kinda upgrade did they do at the service center?

So is your BIS plan working fine? Are you getting your e-mail on your BIS plan?
If Not: Was the phone on a BIS plan back in the UK? Was is released from that BIS plan in the UK?
Sorry, I didn't mention this issue on a old thread. Well like mentioned this phone was handed over to me by my cousin. I am not sure for the BIS plan that he had back in UK, though what he's told me is the phone was taken at his corporate office, and it doesn't have any option of adding other mails like gmail or yahoo on to it. It was strictly for receiving and sending enterprise based emails. Neither is my cousin sure if the BIS plan was released or not.

Lets for a moment consider that the BIS plan wasn't released, in such a case will upgrading to the OS actually help?

Ok, before I end this, could let me know if I update the phone with this what are the chances that it will work?

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.313 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.5.0.313
Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.5.0.188
* Software Platform: 2.7.0.110
* File name: 8320M_PBr4.5.0_rel313_PL2.7.0.110_A4.5.0.188_AMX__ _Claro_Panama.exe
* File size: 92.6MB

Thanks much again!!

Last edited by devilsattitude; 10-07-2010 at 01:34 AM..
Old 10-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
widorrah
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsattitude View Post
...the phone was taken at his corporate office, and it doesn't have any option of adding other mails like gmail or yahoo on to it. It was strictly for receiving and sending enterprise based emails. ...
Maybe an OS update could solve your problems.

But judging from the above quote, your BB may have an IT policy left over from your cousin's BES.

Have a look at this: Remove IT Policy
Closed Thread