BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #1
howard-moore
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Literally going to destroy this BB!!!

Please Login to Remove!

I have been tearing my hair out for months over this one, and to date not one person has been able to help, so I am posting again in the hope that SOMEONE may have a clue what to do.

I have a Pearl 8110. Before that I had a Pearl 8100 on the same PC that would sync perfectly fine with Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit when using Bluetooth. I have never been able to sync my 8110 with my PC using Bluetooth.

I have followed EVERY instruction I have found on the net. I have removed all the programs and reinstalled. I have wiped and reloaded the BB. I have removed the BB security settings. I have paired the BB to the PC using Bluetooth, but I cannot get it to connect.

The issue appears to be that the BB is recognised by the PC as a Bluetooth Modem, but not as a Smartphone etc. In Blackberry Device Manager it will give me the option to add it as a phone IF it is not already paired with the PC, but when it asks for the numeric key, it says "pairing failed". If it is already paired with the PC, it will simply not find it when it looks for devices.

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE can someone offer some support, as I am days away from giving up on BB altogether and going iPhone.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Take this for what it's worth. When I was running 4.2 on my 8820, I could get it to pair with my new netbook, but nothing else. I found mention on the forums about removing the manufacturer's bluetooth drivers, or something like that, and using the windows drivers, but no step-by-step how-to, so I left it alone. After installing 4.5, it worked fine. Same netbook. Same blackberry. Different OS.

If you can upgrade to a newer OS version, that would be something to try. Might work, Might not.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard-moore View Post

Please, please, please, please, PLEASE can someone offer some support, as I am days away from giving up on BB altogether and going iPhone.
You've made that threat now on a couple different BlackBerry forums.

Just go get your stinkin' iPhone and have fun.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:34 AM   #4
howard-moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Take this for what it's worth. When I was running 4.2 on my 8820, I could get it to pair with my new netbook, but nothing else. I found mention on the forums about removing the manufacturer's bluetooth drivers, or something like that, and using the windows drivers, but no step-by-step how-to, so I left it alone. After installing 4.5, it worked fine. Same netbook. Same blackberry. Different OS.

If you can upgrade to a newer OS version, that would be something to try. Might work, Might not.
I have tried it with the latest OS versions and still no joy. With the Bluetooth drivers, my Device Manager has two items under 'Bluetooth Radios':

1. Generic Bluetooth Adapter
2. Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

I am not sure which one of these would be the thing I need to check for drivers, but both of them appear to have all Microsift drivers.

Would welcome any other ideas.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
howard-moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
You've made that threat now on a couple different BlackBerry forums.

Just go get your stinkin' iPhone and have fun.

Hmmm, not quite the helpful advice I was looking for, but I hope that you didn't get personally offended when I said that I was looking at a different handset. Frankly, when I have paid so much money on a handset I rather expect it to do the jobs for which it was purchased. Notwithstanding calls to both Vodafone and RIM I have not been able to sort this issue, and my searches on forums show that I am not alone in my frustration with it.

I would hesitate to get an iPhone purely because they are so large and I quite like physical keys, but in the crucial area of 'actually working' they appear to have the edge.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Whatever.

Consider it a warning, then. Don't crap in your own backyard if you want help here.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:35 AM   #7
howard-moore

Not sure I understand the above post but will disregard in any case.

Update on the above - I have since bought a Bold 9700 in the hope that the issue was phone related, but lo and behold, I have the exact same issue with the Bold as the Pearl.

I can therefore presume that it is a Windows 7 issue, which is rather disheartening, as it could now be any number of things!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #8
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Not sure I understand the above post but will disregard in any case.

Update on the above - I have since bought a Bold 9700 in the hope that the issue was phone related, but lo and behold, I have the exact same issue with the Bold as the Pearl.

I can therefore presume that it is a Windows 7 issue, which is rather disheartening, as it could now be any number of things!!!
Have you removed the bluetooth drivers on the PC? Not the programs, but the drivers. At least under XP, as aiharkness noted, only the Windows drivers worked.

So for example, my Linksys bluetooth adapter came with drivers and a couple programs for the adapter. I had to remove both the programs and the driver. Then windows installed it as some strange named device that seemed to be based on the chip inside the bluetooth adapter.

You have to remove the device in device manager, then let Windows search for a driver, don't put the CD in. Can't recall how Windows 7 handles device removal.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:22 AM   #9
howard-moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
Have you removed the bluetooth drivers on the PC? Not the programs, but the drivers. At least under XP, as aiharkness noted, only the Windows drivers worked.

So for example, my Linksys bluetooth adapter came with drivers and a couple programs for the adapter. I had to remove both the programs and the driver. Then windows installed it as some strange named device that seemed to be based on the chip inside the bluetooth adapter.

You have to remove the device in device manager, then let Windows search for a driver, don't put the CD in. Can't recall how Windows 7 handles device removal.
The problem is that I have a laptop and bluetooth is built in. Also not too sure where I would find drivers to remove them.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #10
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
The problem is that I have a laptop and bluetooth is built in. Also not too sure where I would find drivers to remove them.
Doesn't matter, you can still uninstall the device from Windows. The point is it will reinstall with the Windows drivers.

Using Windows help should tell you how to uninstall a device.
Closed Thread