Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
rharper
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW
Default Insurance Options?

Please Login to Remove!

I apologize if this has already been discussed (I used search first), but what are the options for insuring my new Pearl?

Thanks,
Roger
Old 11-08-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile

t-mobile or some other carrier?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #3
lonnielove
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmobile

Equipment Protection

Description:

Equipment Protection is an equipment repair and replacement program provided to subscribers of T-Mobile. Coverage is provided if your device is lost, stolen, damaged, or malfunctions. With Equipment Protection, you are fully covered!

It is not a matter of IF; it is often simply a matter of WHEN! Recent estimates indicate that nearly 20 million wireless phones and devices will be lost, stolen, or damaged this year. Replacing your equipment will likely cost more than your original investment.

Restrictions:

Not available to Prepaid customers.
Customers have 14 days from service activation, valid upgrade, or exchange to enroll in Equipment Protection.
FAQs:

Why Protect Your Wireless Equipment?
I Received a Great Deal on My First Phone. Will I Get the Same Bargain on My Replacement?
I'm Careful - What Could Happen?
My Wireless Equipment Is New. Is It Covered By Warranty?
How Much Does This Cost?
How Do I Sign Up For This Valuable Feature?
Am I Required to Purchase Equipment Protection?
How Do I File a Claim?
What Information Do I Need If I am Filing a Claim?
How Do I Contact Asurion If I Have Questions About My Policy?
Why Protect Your Wireless Equipment?

Without your wireless equipment, you are out of touch, less efficient, and less productive. Replacing your equipment could be costly and inconvenient - UNLESS you have Equipment Protection.

I Received a Great Deal on My First Phone. Will I Get the Same Bargain on My Replacement?

Special prices and promotions are usually not available on a replacement. That means you may be required to pay FULL PRICE for a new phone or lose your wireless service. The average cost of replacing wireless equipment last year was over $225. And remember, early cancellation costs may apply if you don't purchase a replacement and keep your wireless service active.

I'm Careful - What Could Happen?

New technology has yielded smaller and more sophisticated wireless equipment. Smaller means easier to lose, and more sophisticated means easier to break. Your equipment could fall out of your pocket, be forgotten on a bus, disappear into the pocket of a thief, or be stepped on - hundreds of unforeseen events could strike. And no matter what happens, the cost and problems are YOURS -- UNLESS you are protected.

My Wireless Equipment Is New. Is It Covered By Warranty?

Warranties usually don't cover loss, theft, or damage. Equipment Protection does. Calling the manufacturer for warranty service can be difficult and time consuming. With Equipment Protection, your device is replaced quickly, usually with one easy call!

How Much Does This Cost?

A low monthly fee will be added to your wireless bill - no separate invoices or checks to write. This fee includes the cost of the insurance premium payable to Liberty Mutual and administration fees payable to Asurion Insurance Services, Inc.*

Your device is in:
Your monthly cost is:
Your deductible* per claim is:
Coverage includes:

Group A
$3.99
$40
Lost, Stolen, Damage, in and out of warranty

Group B
$5.99
$70

Group C
$5.99
$110

For information about which tier category corresponds to your phone, go to PhoneClaim.com.

*Rates and deductibles are subject to change upon reasonable notice to insured, in accordance with state law. This is a replacement policy; there is no cash paid or reimbursement to insured's.

Equipment Covered:

One wireless phone or device, so long as it is utilizing the SIM card associated with your T-Mobile account at the moment of loss, theft, or damage
One standard battery (as part of device loss)
One standard cigarette lighter adapter
One standard leather case
One standard charger
Replacement of accessories may be with generic or non-original manufacturer accessories.

Covered Incidents:

Loss
Theft
Physical damage
For a complete description, see the Terms and Conditions.

How Do I Sign Up For This Valuable Feature?

The best time to consider Equipment Protection is when you purchase and activate your new wireless equipment. Your request will be forwarded to the agent who can bind coverage. Acceptance of your application is at the sole discretion of Liberty Mutual (or one of its insurance company affiliates). However, if accepted, coverage is retroactive to the time the application is submitted. Convenient monthly billing will begin immediately following verification that your service and account status are active. By requesting Equipment Protection, you authorize T-Mobile to collect the fee. A billable phone call or data session must be made from any insured equipment for coverage to take effect on that piece of equipment. You can cancel coverage at any time by contacting T-Mobile, who can put you in touch with Asurion Insurance Services, Inc.*

Am I Required to Purchase Equipment Protection?

T-Mobile has arranged for its customers to have access to this program. However, you are not required to purchase it in order to activate service with T-Mobile. However, without protection you may be responsible for the full replacement cost of your wireless equipment in the case of loss, theft, or damage. You may already have coverage through homeownerxxx8217;s insurance or other means (your wireless representative is not qualified to evaluate your existing insurance coverage). Keep in mind, if you have other coverage, the associated deductible you would have to pay with another insurer may be higher. If you elect coverage, it may be cancelled at any time with a pro-rated refund of any unused premium. Any questions regarding the coverage provided should be directed to the agent at 866-268-7221. T-Mobile is not an insurer; Asurion Insurance Services, Inc.* is the agent and provides claims servicing under this program. Liberty Mutual (or one of its insurance company affiliates) is the underwriter of this product. For claims or policy information, call Asurion Insurance Services, Inc.* at 866-268-7221.

How Do I File a Claim?

Filing a claim is simple and easy.

If your equipment is lost or stolen, call T-Mobile to temporarily suspend your service and prevent unauthorized calls.
If your equipment is lost or stolen, report the incident to the police department and obtain a case number. This number will be needed to process your claim.
Contact Asurion* claims center at 866-268-7221 or access the Web site at www.phoneclaim.com to initiate the claims process.
What Information Do I Need If I Am Filing A Claim?

When filing a claim, you will need the following:

Your wireless phone number.
The wireless equipment manufacturer and model.
A police report case number and police department name, if equipment is lost or stolen.
The purchase date of your wireless equipment. For a complete description, see the Terms and Conditions.
To File A Claim, You Must:

Be the primary name on the account.
Report the claim within 30 days of the incident.
Be active and in current status on your account for your claim to be honored.
All claims must be authorized by Asurion Insurance Services, Inc.*, and the equipment must be replaced or repaired either by Asurion Insurance Services, Inc.*, a T-Mobile authorized center, or an authorized party.
Provide proof of ownership, if requested.
Claim Replacement Conditions:

Pay your deductible.
Claims may be fulfilled with new or refurbished equipment. Refurbished equipment may have minor cosmetic flaws.
If the exact model is not available, replacement will be of like kind and quality. Colors, features, and accessory compatibility are not guaranteed.
Additional $10 charge if deductible is collected via COD.
The policy allows two claims in a 12-month period, beginning with the date of the first loss.
Replacement equipment will be shipped to an address of your choice via second business day delivery.
Damaged or recovered lost or stolen equipment must be returned, as it is property of Liberty Mutual (or one of its insurance company affiliates). A pre-paid envelope with return shipping instructions can be found in your fulfillment packaging. Damaged equipment must be returned within 15 days of receiving a replacement. Failure to return damaged equipment may result in the assessment of a non-return fee of up to $100.
There is no cash paid or reimbursement to insured's. This program only covers the equipment that is utilizing the SIM card associated with your T-Mobile account at the moment of loss, theft, or damage.
Rates are subject to change upon reasonable notice to insured, in accordance with state law. Equipment Protection is a service provided to subscribers of T-Mobile. Asurion Insurance Services, Inc.* is the agent and provides claims servicing under this program. Liberty Mutual (or one of its insurance company affiliates) is the underwriter of this product.
*Merrimac Massachusetts Insurance Services, Inc. in Massachusetts and Louisiana; Asurion in New York. In California, Agent License # 0B35141.

How Do I Contact Asurion If I Have Questions About My Policy?

For more information or a copy of the policy, you may visit Asurion's Web site, call Asurion at 866-268-7221, or send a self-addressed envelope to Asurion Insurance Services, Inc. ATTN: Policy Copy, P.O. Box 10656, Nashville, TN 37222-0656.

NOTE: Please include your mobile number so the proper policy can be delivered to you.

tm22023

Print
Did we help?
Did this article help you?

Yes, the problem is solved!
Yes, but the instructions were unclear.
Yes, but it was not the answer I was hoping for.
No, it did not address my particular situation.
No, not even close!

Related info:
Other suggested articles

Nokia 6610 User Guide (PDF) xxx8250;

Nokia 6190 User Guide (PDF) xxx8250;

Nokia 3595 User Guide (PDF) xxx8250;

Nokia 3660 User Guide (PDF) xxx8250;

Nokia 8290 User Guide (PDF) xxx8250;
Old 11-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharper
I apologize if this has already been discussed (I used search first), but what are the options for insuring my new Pearl?

Thanks,
Roger
I used to always carry insurance on my phones, especially when they used to cost $500 to $600 [BIG PDA phones, back in 2000-2002].

However, I stopped carrying insurance for the following reasons:

1. When I asked about insuring the Pearl, T-Mo quoted about $6 a month. [When I had it with Sprint, it was $2.95].

2. The deductible on a claim is now $110. [With Sprint it was $25].

3. A phone now cost about $200. [Phones used to cost me $500].

4. With eBay, in about one year top-of-th-line phones will sell for peanuts, or certainly less than when released. [e.g. when I bought a 7100t when it first came out, it was about $300, albeit I got it free with a one year contract. About a year later I decided I needed some back up phones in the event I lost my 7100t, mainly because I do not have a home land line, I only use wireless. I went on eBay and bought one 7100t for $45. I then got another spare for my girlfriend, bought that a couple months later for $25].

Now let's say you don't make a claim for 12 months. By that time you would have paid $72 in premiums. You also have to pay the $110 deductible. [The way the deductible works is that you pay the insurance company $110 and they send a phone, regardless of what it is selling for at the time of the claim].

So the net result is that at the time of a claim you would have paid $182 to get the Pearl replaced. So the gamble is, in 12 months what will the Pearl be selling for? If the selling price depreciates dramatically, you get screwed [see eBay example]. And to be sure, history has shown that even the hottest phones go into free fall on pricing after about 8 months on the market.

So unless you are prone to losing phones every few months, insurance does not make sense. IMHO

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-08-2006 at 11:38 PM..
Old 11-08-2006, 11:44 PM   #5
Thirstee

I insured my pearl thru safeware. It was $42 for a year with no deductible. Thats is for $350 in coverage. From what I can tell, anything is ok for a warranty claim. Someone mentioned water damage is ok for a claim as well.
You can get an online quote at safeware.com
Old 11-08-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirstee
I insured my pearl thru safeware. It was $42 for a year with no deductible. Thats is for $350 in coverage. From what I can tell, anything is ok for a warranty claim. Someone mentioned water damage is ok for a claim as well.
I'll check that out, never heard of them.

I'm a fine print expert, so I'll report back. If all is on the up and up, I'm signing up because that's a good deal. I just assumed that T-Mo had a carrier they worked with and that was it, there were no independents.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:50 PM   #7
mrsmokey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TMobile

I bought my Pearl from CompUSA, and got their extended warranty service thing for 2 years, it was like $65.00 and covers $350.00

I believe it does not cover if you drop and the screen cracks(lcd or whatever) or if its lost...however im not a big phone "abuser" I tought it was pretty good, and I believe it's no deductible.

I did consider T-Mo's insurance, but decided to get the CompUSA one instead.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:11 AM   #8
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirstee
Checked it out. For $400 coverage on a PDA [did not see smartphone] it comes back at $48 annually.

Laptop Insurance From Safeware
Old 11-10-2006, 12:21 AM   #9
dabull
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

so those are annual quotes? i quoted my pearl for $250 coverage at $30 a year. thats not bad, $2.50 a month.

and if they cover lost items its a little dumb to worry about water damage. if you get it wet then lose the phone
Old 11-10-2006, 01:00 AM   #10
PaulQ

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

It appears they replace with a "like kind and quality" - that probably means refurbished. Not a deal killer though.

Safeware has been around a long time! Anyone ever made a claim with them?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:35 AM   #11
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulQ
It appears they replace with a "like kind and quality" - that probably means refurbished. Not a deal killer though.

Safeware has been around a long time! Anyone ever made a claim with them?
I looked around the net for any complaints about them, none came up. No reviews either, except to say that they existed.

I e-mailed them and they have not got back to me.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:18 PM   #12
crowberry

Carrier: none

I e-mailed them and they got right back to me. They said that they do cover blackberrys,
Old 11-14-2006, 03:21 PM   #13
SanFrancisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowberry
I e-mailed them and they got right back to me. They said that they do cover blackberrys,
Well, that shows you what kind of pull I DON'T have. They must have sniffed trouble and tossed me in the trash folder.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #14
crowberry

Carrier: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco
Well, that shows you what kind of pull I DON'T have. They must have sniffed trouble and tossed me in the trash folder.
lol. You are crazy FRISCO.
I wish I knew someone that used them and filed a claim. I can't find much info on them.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:57 PM   #15
PaulQ

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanFrancisco

I emailed them last week and have not heard a thing. Same folder here.
Closed Thread