BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
CavJJC

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Help!! 9700 Device memory Problems!

Please Login to Remove!

I've had a 9700 Bold for just over a year, and wouldn't be without it now.

However, having installed and deleted the usual apps over the year, I now find have very little application memory left.

Using the Blackberry Desktop Software, I have added up the sizes of installed apps and also the "Required" ones.

They come to a grand total of 88.99mb.

However, AppWorld tells me I have less than 2.5mb left!

Out of 250mb, I think I'm missing nearly 160mb!

Any ideas?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
WonkotheSane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Help!! 9700 Device memory Problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavJJC View Post
I've had a 9700 Bold for just over a year, and wouldn't be without it now.

However, having installed and deleted the usual apps over the year, I now find have very little application memory left.

Using the Blackberry Desktop Software, I have added up the sizes of installed apps and also the "Required" ones.

They come to a grand total of 88.99mb.

However, AppWorld tells me I have less than 2.5mb left!

Out of 250mb, I think I'm missing nearly 160mb!

Any ideas?
The operating system takes up half or more of the 250M. What OS are you running?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
CavJJC

It's 5.0.0593 (Platform 5.1.0.147)

But............."Using the Blackberry Desktop Software, I have added up the sizes of installed apps and also the "Required" ones."
Old 05-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I would say the total size of all the core apps does not equal the size of the stock device software. Also, you need to recognize that the data created by and stored by all the apps (core, add-on, and third-party) can be significant. And don't forget themes.

Bottom line, if you are too low on free memory, you are going to have to delete some stuff.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #5
Wolf_Dreams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
It's 5.0.0593 (Platform 5.1.0.147)

But............."Using the Blackberry Desktop Software, I have added up the sizes of installed apps and also the "Required" ones."
Your problem is cumulative memory bleed. You get junk files left over after app deletion and eventually all Java powered BB's need their OS to be re-installed or updated. It will make a huge difference.

Also, a battery pull every day or two will help considerably too.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Dreams View Post
Your problem is cumulative memory bleed. You get junk files left over after app deletion and eventually all Java powered BB's need their OS to be re-installed or updated. It will make a huge difference.

I've never encountered this, going all the way back to the 32MB devices--at least not so I noticed. But assuming what you say is true, wouldn't a security wipe accomplish the same thing with a lot less hassle?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
CavJJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Dreams View Post

This is EXACTLY what I thought was happening - only I'm not a phone techie, so wasn't sure!

Another strange thing - updated BBM today, with 7.9mb of memory left - BBM was described as being 2.9mb in size. After installation, only 4.9mb left - does this mean the old BBM wasn't removed??

Can any of you guys direct me to a link to easy to follow instructions, to reinstall the O/S or (as aiharkness suggests) a security wipe?

Many thanks, Guys!!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #8
WonkotheSane
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
This is EXACTLY what I thought was happening - only I'm not a phone techie, so wasn't sure!

Another strange thing - updated BBM today, with 7.9mb of memory left - BBM was described as being 2.9mb in size. After installation, only 4.9mb left - does this mean the old BBM wasn't removed??

Can any of you guys direct me to a link to easy to follow instructions, to reinstall the O/S or (as aiharkness suggests) a security wipe?

Many thanks, Guys!!
I would try a simple reload first. It will allow you to back-up and reload all of your apps easily. Instructions for doing that can be found here. The loader will ask you if you want to do a back-up and then gives you an opportunity to select what you want to restore. Tip: do not reload language support that you don't use. Keeping this to a minimum seems to free up a lot of memory.

If you need to wipe your device, it is easiest to do that using a tool like BB Swiss Army Knife. BBSAK also includes utilities to back-up and restore your apps.

Good Luck!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Go ahead and re-install the OS, restore your data, and restore/re-install all of your apps and themes. You will see a significant gain in free memory initially. (See John Clark's Myths sticky thread.) If you go beyond a week without ending up right back where you are now, I'll buy you a drink if ever I'm in town. At the very least I will say I was wrong.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I've never encountered this, going all the way back to the 32MB devices--at least not so I noticed. But assuming what you say is true, wouldn't a security wipe accomplish the same thing with a lot less hassle?
Not really - think of it as a Windows PC. Nothing will clean drive space as well as a complete drive format. Ever notice how fast your PC is after a clean install? You can delete apps from today till tomorrow on a PC, but it will never get you what a format and clean install will. I wipe and reinstall my BB OS each time I upgrade the OS. I have noticed over time, that that the OS eventually corrupts and memory space gets reduced. I wipe my PC's every few months as well...

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Closed Thread