BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 12-31-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Default NEW: Freedom Pro Bluetooth Keyboard!!

Please Login to Remove!

NEW! Freedom Pro Bluetooth Keyboard

It seems that Freedom has released a new Bluetooth keyboard. You may remember my review of the original Freedom Universal Keyboard2.

I have used all the keyboards from Freedom and I have to say that this new keyboard is a spectacular upgrade from the original models. Freedom has completely revamped this keyboard.

Upon opening my box from the "Royal Mail" (my daughters were quite excited and thought I had gotten a package from the Queen!) I was met with the usual Freedom yellow box:

However, what I found inside was not the "usual" Freedom keyboard. I opened the package to find a sleek looking, newly designed Freedom Pro Keyboard. The matte finished keyboard of old has been replaced with a beautiful gloss-finished keyboard.

Included in the box are the keyboard, two AAA batteries, a leather carry case, and instruction manual.

After opening the keyboard, I was greeted with a brand new layout inside. The new Freedom Pro is slightly bigger in length than the original and measures 6.4 inches long (closed) as opposed to the 5.75 inches of the original. When opened the keyboard is about 1.5 inches longer in length. What I noticed was that the letter keys on the Freedom Pro are slightly larger, while the number and other keys are just a little smaller. Freedom has also added "F" keys to the number row at the top, and some shortcut keys on the bottom right, and they have added some dedicated shortcut keys on the left.

Down the left side are dedicated shortcut keys for Mail, Contacts, Tasks, and Calendar as well as the red phone button and the green phone button. These are a welcome addition!

On the lower right are the other shortcut keys that will emulate your menu key, a trackball/scroll wheel click, back button, or convenience keys.

Across the top with the number keys are the Function keys that can all be programmed to open whatever application you desire.

Also on the left side are the pairing button (requires a pen or paper clip,) SPP/HID switch (this keyboard is dual mode so it will work with BlackBerry in SPP mode and many other mobile devices that support HID as well as SPP,) the power switch, signal light as well as a battery low light.

On the top, above the Function keys is a sliding lock so the keyboard can be used on the lap easily.

Freedom has managed to make the main keys bigger, the number and function keys a little smaller and add all these extra shortcut keys. I find the layout very comfortable to type on and much more like a normal keyboard. One major change is the position of the question mark key and the right shift key. On the original keyboard these were reversed from a standard keyboard. However, on the Freedom Pro, they have been moved to their normal positions. This was a major gripe I had with the old and always slowed me down a little when using the right shift key.

After inserting the batteries it was time to pair the keyboard with my BlackBerry 8900. The instructions were very clear. Slide the HID/SPP to SPP and then turn on the keyboard. Press the "pairing" button with a pen, and do a search for Bluetooth devices from the BlackBerry. The keyboard paired up the very first time with no issues!

Once paired, it was time to go get the driver. This is where Freedom has made significant improvements. I simply opened my BlackBerry's browser and went to OTAdrivers.com - Drivers for Freedom Input. The steps were quite simple and I was greeted with the following:

I clicked on the link for the Freedom Pro Keyboard. It recognized my device:

I then clicked on the link...

It added the following icon to my Downloads folder:

I clicked on the Freedom Pro icon and the driver opened up and the keyboard connected...

All this took less than 3 minutes. I have to say it is the quickest, easiest setup that Freedom has come out with to date. No unique codes, no special websites to enter unlock codes, just a simple ota driver install and the keyboard is up and running.**

**Note: If you don't have a data plan you can download a desktop pc version of the driver to install to the device using a pc.

**Important: Keystroke injection is required to use a Bluetooth keyboard. Many BES admins block this feature so if you are on a BES please check with your BES admin before purchasing a keyboard to make sure that they can allow this feature for you. If your BES admin is unsure or needs some help, Freedom Support is excellent at helping the BES admin get this feature working.

As you can see, once this is working it is fully customizable. Any of the F keys can be programmed to open anything you want:

The Freedom Pro still has the removable easel that is fully adjustable for height and angle.

When finished with the keyboard, simply turn the switch off. When ready to use the keyboard again, simply turn the switch on again and the device should reconnect automatically. (this feature can be turned off in the driver, if desired, for better battery life.)

Overall, I must say that Freedom has put some real engineering into this new keyboard. The hardware is very high quality and the keys feel much more natural. The shortcut keys on the left side and lower right, as well as the programable ones on the top make this keyboard a joy to use. The driver application is simple to install and get working. Pretty much everything can be done on the device right from this keyboard. This keyboard makes a great addition to the BlackBerry user's arsenal and makes typing a longer email on the BlackBerry much easier to do. This is a must have for Storm users and SureType device users for those longer emails.

Below is a link to the Freedom Pro page where there is more information and a video that walks you through the simple steps of pairing and using the keyboard.

Freedom Pro Keyboard

Last edited by John Clark; 12-31-2009 at 02:23 AM..
Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
xxBarneyxx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Hi all,

I wanted to run a promotion on this for all the BBF members before Christmas but our distributors kept buying up all the stock before it even got to me!

I have finally managed to get a few boxes put aside so now I'm happy to be able to offer a 10% discount on the Freedom Pro Keyboard for all BBF members.

If you purchase it from Freedom Input and when you add it to the cart use the coupon code of IS-60-BBFPRO you will receive your 10% discount.

This offer is open until the end of Feb.

Happy New Year!

Edit: Just as a heads up for anyone that is interested we are working on adding additional language layouts for the Freedom Pro in the early quarter of this year. Initially starting with German (to be followed by QWERTZ hardware version) and then Polish and French (initially software only but we will produce the hardware as well if there is high enough demand).
Home of the Freedom Bluetooth Keyboards

Last edited by xxBarneyxx; 01-08-2010 at 09:58 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
harddude5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBarneyxx View Post
Hi all,

I wanted to run a promotion on this for all the BBF members before Christmas but our distributors kept buying up all the stock before it even got to me!

I have finally managed to get a few boxes put aside so now I'm happy to be able to offer a 10% discount on the Freedom Pro Keyboard for all BBF members.

If you purchase it from Freedom Input and when you add it to the cart use the coupon code of IS-60-BBFPRO you will receive your 10% discount.

This offer is open until the end of Feb.

Happy New Year!

Edit: Just as a heads up for anyone that is interested we are working on adding additional language layouts for the Freedom Pro in the early quarter of this year. Initially starting with German (to be followed by QWERTZ hardware version) and then Polish and French (initially software only but we will produce the hardware as well if there is high enough demand).
Nice offer...not. Here we are two days later and the product is not available in the USA.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #4
xxBarneyxx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by harddude5 View Post
Nice offer...not. Here we are two days later and the product is not available in the USA.
Not available? It is available from our website and has been since this offer went up. Its also available from eaccess as well if you want to buy from somebody else.
Home of the Freedom Bluetooth Keyboards
Old 01-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Very cool, glad to see external keyboards are still kicking. And thanks JC for the detailed review!

Whenever I go back to school for another degree this will be on my list!

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Spankypoo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMo

I returned the original version due to a healthy dose of input lag. Admittedly, that was on an 8700. How's the lag on the newer, faster phones?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
Spankypoo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: TMo

btt
Old 01-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

I can tell you that the lag with the original was modest even with the 8830, and better with a 9630.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
robjva

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Drivers Unavailable from Freedom?

Just received a Pro for my Storm V5.0 of the os. Unfortunatly, I cant download the drivers from Freedom's site. I am getting Http error 500, Internal server error. Seems to be their site. Would any of you have the drivers available?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
robjva

Model: 9530

Follow up on the Drivers. Seems that Freedom had some server issues. Tech support sent me an email and now all is AOK. THANKS FREEDOM!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #11
vishwabhyrappa

Model: perl
Carrier: simply
Default Hi

In my black berry perl hand set the third party j2me application is not working when i reinstalling , 1st its working fine ,when i reinstall or deleting and once download the same application its not working properly can u tell me the problem.......
Old 06-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
garran
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

This is a great find. I put in my order this morning and can't wait to start using it.

Website
Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #13
djmodesto

Carrier: tmobile
Default Disappointed

Mine stopped working after a wireless update, and after a few emails back and forth, support just stopped communicating.

Zip.
Zilch.
Nil.
Nada.

Can't recommend that kind of service.

Guess I'm just out the $80--and wishing I hadn't done business with Freedom Input.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #14
markturney

Carrier: vodafone
Smile freedom pro

does any know can u dial a number from the keybaord and also reply to emails
Old 10-26-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
Rhyalus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

I never dialed a # but you can type emails and send them of course.

I don't have the new keyboard, but I did have the #2 version. It worked pretty well with the Bold 9000 - no lag to speak of at all.

It was a little painful to learn all of the shortcuts to get to certain menus, etc., and I never really got to using it as much as I expected to. I travel by plane a lot and though it would come in handier.

Regards,
R