Model: 8700C
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Default Mailbox Agent ID

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
Can somebody give more info on
1: What is "mailbox agent id"?
I have some are 1 and others are 2. and somw are 200 etc? What the difference? and what is the best practice
thx
Old 04-09-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

The mailbox agent is an assigned thread manager for communications of BlackBerry devices. Each mail server is assigned to a particular agent, so all users on MAILSRVR1 will be assigned to the same mailbox agent. The highest number agent, by default, is 5 ...however, you can break a user to their own agent by defining it in their properties - these start at 200 and up.

Best practice depends on how many message servers you have. RIM recommends a one-to-one relationship between messaging server and BES server, although that's not entirely feasible for some companies. With that said, in a 40 messaging server and 8 BES server environment, I would recommend assigning users on MAILSRVR1-MAILSRVR5 to BESSRVR1, MAILSRVR6-MAILSRVR10 to BESSRVR2, etc. This would give a one-to-one relationship between messaging server and BES mailbox agent. If you have a BES server that is managing users on 40 messaging servers (roughly 8 mail servers managed per agent), then you run into a massive spaghetti incident that will end up causing overstrain on the BES server and its agents/threads, thus causing quite the headache for users.

What kind of environment do you have (messaging servers, BES servers)? It's best to look at that and assess how you want to configure your BES and its agents.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
Siddig

Model: 8700C
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular

we have 5 Exchange servers and 1 BES with 100 + BB users. and I think what you refered to is not quite what I was asking,
my question was about the agent ID that is assigned by user (dynamic or static)
what I inherted is that every 8 + users are assinged one ID (2,200,201,202,etc) and I need to better understand the logic and rational behind that.
could you shed more light pls? thx
Old 04-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

Agents 1 - 5 are assigned by the BES itself. 200 and up are set by a BESAdmin when they want certain users on their own agent in case they have large mailboxes or to help load balance the BES.

If you have 5 or less Exchange servers then usually there is one agent per Exchange server. Over 5 Exchange servers the BES will mix and match users from different Exchanges on one agent.

Hope that helps.
Closed Thread