Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
todor

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Use internet with no WiFi and no carrier network

Please Login to Remove!

Can I connect the blackberry to the internet if I don't have WiFi or a carrier data plan? Like is there a way to connect it through a computer?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

There is, if you have a Blackberry Data Plan with a carrier, or have your own BES or Unite server.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
todor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
There is, if you have a Blackberry Data Plan with a carrier, or have your own BES or Unite server.
I think you misinterpreted my question... As I said, I don't have a carrier data plan, so I can't use any GPRS/EDGE data services. And as far as Unite is concerned, I don't think it can give my blackberry network connectivity - it's just a server that the blackberry connects to if it already has network connectivity. Correct me if I'm wrong...

My question is whether I can get network connectivity on the blackberry through a USB or bluetooth connection. What I want to achieve is basically reverse tethering - I want the phone to use the computer to get to the internet (in normal tethering, the computer uses the phone as a modem to get to the internet).

I don't care about push/BBMessenger/etc. - I just need to have generic internet access - to browse web pages for example. I know it seems stupid that I would want to browse using the blackberry if i'm already in front of a real computer... but it's more for using apps, etc., not necessarily just browsing the web.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:02 AM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

easy no you can not
Old 05-14-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by todor View Post
I think you misinterpreted my question... As I said, I don't have a carrier data plan, so I can't use any GPRS/EDGE data services. And as far as Unite is concerned, I don't think it can give my blackberry network connectivity - it's just a server that the blackberry connects to if it already has network connectivity. Correct me if I'm wrong...

My question is whether I can get network connectivity on the blackberry through a USB or bluetooth connection. What I want to achieve is basically reverse tethering - I want the phone to use the computer to get to the internet (in normal tethering, the computer uses the phone as a modem to get to the internet).

I don't care about push/BBMessenger/etc. - I just need to have generic internet access - to browse web pages for example. I know it seems stupid that I would want to browse using the blackberry if i'm already in front of a real computer... but it's more for using apps, etc., not necessarily just browsing the web.
*sigh* If you go over to the Unite thread, read the top sticky thread you will come to a post by Grimlin that reads in part:
Quote:
It works by the way. Email and web work fine over bluetooth. One of my voice only devices already had a BES policy on it because I plugged it in at work. So I dummied up a new policy for it on the BES and then connected it bluetooth to the unite box. Works like a champ. I am going to export the new policy I made on the BES and import it into the Unite box. Change it to the default and see if I can get my other device (never touched a BES) working. If it is successful, I will post some instructions.
I've never done this cause I don't have time to be messing about with BBs that don't have Blackberry Data Plans. You need to seek out guys like Grimlin who have the time, inclination and knowledge to work way outside the box to make this stuff happen.

I gave you three options, you don't and apparently won't use the first (supported) option. Are you willing to make the investment of time, effort (and perhaps money) to make a BES or Unite server work outside the box?
Old 05-14-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
todor

Thanks. I've PM'd Grimlin, let's see what he says.

Btw, it's not that I'm stubborn and won't sign up for a blackberry data plan - it's that I have 3 blackberries and only 1 data plan, so for the other 2, I need another way to connect them to the net when I want to play with them.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
todor

I just installed Unite and activated my device on it... and nothing happened. I still can't browse the net, even when connected via USB. I haven't tried bluetooth yet (don't have my BT adapter here at work). What exactly am I supposed to do with Unite?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:02 AM   #8
Dawg
No longer Registered.

where did you get unite from since its been discontinued?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:09 AM   #9
todor

I got it here: rs96.rapidshare.com/files/126588985/bbunite_1.0.0.exe
(add http colon slash slash in front of the link... i can't post links yet)
I found it via a google search.

The funny thing is that after I installed it, it automatically connected to a RIM server and downloaded an updated 1.0.1 version even though it's discontinued ;)

Last edited by todor; 05-15-2009 at 05:11 AM..
Old 05-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
hrbuckley

Quote:
I just installed Unite and activated my device on it... and nothing happened. I still can't browse the net, even when connected via USB. I haven't tried bluetooth yet (don't have my BT adapter here at work). What exactly am I supposed to do with Unite?
Has Grimlin told you what he did? Like I said you are outside the box here, you either need to find someone that has done it, or work out the procedure for yourself.

I know that when I'm in Wi-Fi range of my work (BES) or home (Unite) routers, my blackberry will go into bypass mode and access the net through the servers. Same thing happens with USB and the Desktop Manager (assuming the DM can talk to the BES/Unite server). But I have data plans. My read of what Grimlin was doing was the same as what you want to do.

Did you read through his thread and set up his modified IT policies for Unite?
Old 05-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
I got it here: rs96.rapidshare.com/files/126588985/bbunite_1.0.0.exe
(add http colon slash slash in front of the link... i can't post links yet)
I found it via a google search.

The funny thing is that after I installed it, it automatically connected to a RIM server and downloaded an updated 1.0.1 version even though it's discontinued ;)
It sounds like you may have been updated to a Beta Version of Unite that may have never gone into production. Like Beta's of any software, it may have some bugs-which could explain why you've gotten no results from it.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
todor

Grimlin got back to me and said that he enabled bluetooth by pushing a new IT policy through Unite (and yes, he did achieve what I'm trying to do). In my case my bluetooth was already enabled... but regardless, I did the steps in his thread about updating the IT policy through Unite to enable bluetooth, but nothing changed. Grimlin said he's not going to have easy internet access for the next few days, so I'm still waiting for another reply from him.

hrbuckley, are you saying that when you connect to Desktop Manager though USB, you can open up your browser on the Blackberry and browse the internet through that USB connection? Or is it that it goes through your Unite server, but not over the USB connection - rather over your carrier wireless and/or WiFi?

Yesterday the Unite server got updated to 1.0.3... very weird, since it's supposed to be discontinued. I actually see a couple of new minor features in that version, but nothing related to what I'm trying to do.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
hrbuckley

Unite support continues till some time later this year, can't remember the date but it will be around here somewhere.

The facility I'm talking about is officially called Service Routing, but is also know as wireless bypass. RIM has put an incredible amount of thought and work into how the whole Blackberry system works that most people never even realize is there. I've assumed that this was what Grimlin was using, but I'm neither in his technical league, nor playing in that particular park.

That said, one of the applications I've written for my company has to transfer large amounts of data back and forth, so it watches the Service Routing API. I've found it (service routing) to be active in the situations I've described before.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
todor

Thanks for the link hrbuckley - it's good to see an official explanation from RIM about what's supposed to happen. It appears that it only works for BES-activated devices though, and only for network traffic headed to the BES, according to that RIM article. Maybe that's why it worked for Grimlin and not for me - he said his device was activated on a BES.

But in theory, if the Unite server is kind of like a BES, it should work with it too... dunno. I'll wait for his reply again.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #15
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

why cant u just get a data plan or buy a $20 wireless router and use wifi?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #16
todor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
why cant u just get a data plan or buy a $20 wireless router and use wifi?
Thanks for the useful suggestions... I have a data plan on my other blackberry. It's not worth it to pay for multiple data plans. I also have a wireless router, but the 8800 doesn't have WiFi, and neither does my third BB (7130c). I just want to be able to play with the 8800 and 7130 without really using them daily. It's not the end of the world if I don't accomplish it, but seeing as how others have done it, why not use their experience and try it? Sorry if I'm polluting the forum by asking for some info on a problem that's not of utmost importance to the entire world...

By the way, I put my SIM card with the data plan into the 8800 and it automatically started an "enterprise activation", which I assume was the Unite activation... and a few more icons showed up, but I still have no connectivity when I remove the SIM card, even when connected to the computer via USB or Bluetooth.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:06 AM   #17
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I still say this isnt possible. Until I see screen shots or better yet pictures i am not believing
Old 05-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #18
interlin
No longer Registered.

Carrier: teacher

Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 AM   #19
DavidAdams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: NotYe
Carrier: O2

I have an 8700g connected via DeskTop Manager to my PC and it is successfully connecting to the Internet. Well almost, some software insists on using a carrier based connection and so won't work, Nimbuzz and the GMail app being the most recent. The browser works though.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:39 AM   #20
Medusalith
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9300
Carrier: optimus
Default Yes you can via Bluetooth!

Quote:
Can I connect the blackberry to the internet if I don't have WiFi or a carrier data plan? Like is there a way to connect it through a computer?
You may not have Wi Fi but it is possible to connect your Handheld via BT to your pc (pc must have BT also if not just buy a card or pen adapter) and receive the internet connection. I don't know if BBs can be connected but nokias and others can.

You must install a program in your PC called GnuBox

Google "gnubox" or "How to setup an internet connection using Bluetooth"

Hope I could Help ;)

Just edited to say that transforming one's handheld into a hotspot is also possible using the program JoikuSpot light.

I'm in love with my

Last edited by Medusalith; 06-04-2009 at 08:14 AM..
Closed Thread