Old 03-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
Unluky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
PIN: Safety
Carrier: AT&T
Default Z10 no clock on charge?

Please Login to Remove!

Am I the only one that lost the clock coming up automatically upon plugging in the usb charger?

It worked fine out of the box, but after the last update it stopped and I can not get it back. Not sure if it is a bug or a change in the last update.

Hope it is not a change, I like that feature.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default Re: Z10 no clock on charge?

You can get it back by pulling down on the top of the screen and touching the bed.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Unluky
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Safety
Carrier: AT&T

Yes, but then I have to navigate to the clock function and then click on it and then pull down the shade. Or hit the button to lock the screen then open it then pull it down.

When I first got the phone as soon as I plugged it in the clock appeared and I just had to pull down the shade.

I assume the answer you are stating is yours is the same and the update must have turned this feature off for god knows why.

I love the form factor of this phone and really want to keep it, but I can't help feel like they took a crap on us loyal BB customers in favor of being more like an Iphone.

Can't sync with outlook via USB? Can't delete off the phone but leave on the server? No Notes and Tasks? No BIS?

These are the features I loved that have kept me with BB all these years limping along on my phone waiting for a new one to come out. Now I feel like I saved up to buy my first Porche and there is no engine in it.

Very let down and feeling stupid for sticking with them all this time now that I waited for their version of an iphone. I could have just bought an iphone years ago like everyone else.

So sad today. I feel like I just learned Santa was not real.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Register your frustrations over at General Support Forums - BlackBerry Support Community Forums - the official support forum.

Get the latest version of BlackBerry Link. One way sync of some PIM information has been added.

BIS is gone.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Koodo Mobile

The clock feature on the Z10 NEVER was automatic, never ever never...you're dreaming, or you smoked too much crack. Dump the Z and go get a ipony.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 06-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
bombinho
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: many
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The clock feature on the Z10 NEVER was automatic, never ever never...you're dreaming, or you smoked too much crack. Dump the Z and go get a ipony.
Well I must have been smoking the same stuff then cause out the box it did and since the update a few hours later it does not do anything anymore but connecting a drive which is unwanted for me most of the times and on earlier devices sparked a request first.

Well the Z appears to be a bit like a castrated Blackberry to me. A bit like an IBerry. All the details I liked are not there anymore. Overall a ppp.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
ZombieBerry

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Hi bombinho,

Sorry, you are mistaken. Connecting your device to your computer via USB will automatically connect the media card and device to your computer. Also, it will automatically connect over a wireless network (or to a computer) if your settings are set up in that way.

Normally. it would spark a request, but seeing as you have to physically change a property(setting) for this to happen, it will not prompt you again.

[Charging from your computer] - If the device is unlocked, then it will notify you that you have connected to a computer. The screen shouldn't change.

[Charging from a BlackBerry power source] - The screen will change (usually) and you should see a small tab appear at the top of the screen (Press and drag down), you should have your clock appear.

Sounds like you are frustrated, or not very happy with your purchase. Perhaps you should see about exchanging your current device with one that would make you happy, or more productive.

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 06-01-2013 at 09:23 AM..
Old 06-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
bombinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
Hi bombinho,

[snip]
Sounds like you are frustrated, or not very happy with your purchase. Perhaps you should see about exchanging your current device with one that would make you happy, or more productive.
Yes I have noticed that the device now makes assumtions what I want and yes I have noticed that this behaviour is very different to all my previous devices. An yes I have noticed that I now have to do a lot of actions on things that used to be automated. And yes I have noticed that a lot of those now skip the whole "security first" mentality of Blackberry towards an Iphone like behaviour to make it easy for People not used to BBs.

What device would you advise to replace the current 9860?
Old 06-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #9
bombinho

Quote:
Hi bombinho,

Sorry, you are mistaken. Connecting your device to your computer via USB will automatically connect the media card and device to your computer. Also, it will automatically connect over a wireless network if your settings are set up in that way.
Is there any way to stop mapping my drive on every computer it gets plugged in? This is total unwanted behaviour as it should only do that on the business computers.

Is there any way to get the the clock appear on charging?

At the moment the Z10 will not get into business use until it works reasonable.

Is there any way to stop BB Link from crashing if executed from non-admin accounts?

Are there cradles available from Blackberry as the asian ones I use at the moment are mechanically as logically very questionable. In specific the fact they require a driver (for an USB cable with LED?????) makes them suspicious. As well as the fact that there is no mechanical alignment which will lead to mechanical damage to the phone.

Last edited by bombinho; 06-01-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Old 06-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #10
ZombieBerry

Yes - On your device, navigate to System Settings, and make sure BlackBerry Link is turned off (to prevent wireless syncing), or remove the computers you do not want to automatically connect to from the list of "Paired Computers" For the wired connection, you should change the settings under Storage and Access.

No, unfortunately, you must swipe down from the top of the screen when you connect your device to a charger.

That is not a question, but more like a statement.

That shouldn't happen, I run Link (Never auto start on connect) on a shared account, and have not had it crash on me.

BlackBerry Z10 Gets Third Party Desktop Cradle With Spare Battery Charger - BerryReview

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 06-01-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
ZombieBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombinho View Post
Yes I have noticed that the device now makes assumtions what I want and yes I have noticed that this behaviour is very different to all my previous devices. An yes I have noticed that I now have to do a lot of actions on things that used to be automated. And yes I have noticed that a lot of those now skip the whole "security first" mentality of Blackberry towards an Iphone like behaviour to make it easy for People not used to BBs.

What device would you advise to replace the current 9860?
Comparing a current BlackBerry device to an older model doesn't hold water. Different OS.While there may be some similarities between OS 5,6 and 7, none of them compare to BB10.

I believe your security concerns stem from your inexperience with the device. Whatever actions your device is taking, usually has to be verified or enabled by the user. In order to try and help, I am going to need more information than "...I have noticed that the device now makes assumptions what I want and yes..." I will need specifics.

I cant answer what device would best suit you, as I am not really sure what you need it for. I can say, that if BlackBerry 10 isn't for you, then I would explore what else may be available. Perhaps a device that runs iOS, Android, or WP would be a better fit.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #12
bombinho

Quote:
Yes - On your device, navigate to System Settings, and make sure BlackBerry Link is turned off (to prevent wireless syncing), or remove the computers you do not want to automatically connect to from the list of "Paired Computers"
Unfortunately the Z10 does not care if the device is in the list it still maps the drive on every PC it gets connected.

Quote:
No, unfortunately, you must swipe down from the top of the screen when you connect your device to a charger.
Unfortunately the are no chargers in my house except for the PB cradle. And I had not planned to get sockets and cables cut into my walls just to accomodate for the Z10. Surely the wife would be pleased. But the cradles used to live near the MPC/ business PC and have a connection to USB.

Quote:
That is not a question, but more like a statement.
Well spotted.

Quote:
That shouldn't happen, I run Link (Never auto start on connect) on a shared account, and have not had it crash on me.
It unfortunately does happen in 100% of attempts to connect on one of the PCs

Quote:
[Link see post]
Had seen them too but the reviews were not exciting neither was the design.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
bombinho

Quote:
Comparing a current BlackBerry device to an older model doesn't hold water. Different OS.While there may be some similarities between OS 5,6 and 7, none of them compare to BB10.

I believe your security concerns stem from your inexperience with the device. Whatever actions your device is taking, usually has to be verified or enabled by the user. In order to try and help, I am going to need more information than "...I have noticed that the device now makes assumptions what I want and yes..." I will need specifics.

I cant answer what device would best suit you, as I am not really sure what you need it for. I can say, that if BlackBerry 10 isn't for you, then I would explore what else may be available. Perhaps a device that runs iOS, Android, or WP would be a better fit.
Well firmware/software gets created by... you guess, humans. So, if it was possible to code an exception/interrupt on one device it will be possible to do that on a second device too. And there is a clear notification to the device if it is charging or not as the screen does give it away. I could not see a major holdup on implementing functions like this if you had been capable to get a whole OS knitted including an user interface, a whole software infra structure and not to forget a whole web infrastructure on top.

And yes I am only starting to experiment with the BB10. Hence my inexperience. You have to apologise. But I have "burned my fingers" a bit on early adoptions prior. The 9500 was a bit of a love/hate affair. Great hardware, the software was to start with very questionable. Though many had complained about the hardware, I could not. Any fault I experienced was clearly on the software side.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Again, complain to BlackBerry at General Support Forums - BlackBerry Support Community Forums - I am sure there are others who feel the same way there.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #15
ZombieBerry

Quote:
Unfortunately the Z10 does not care if the device is in the list it still maps the drive on every PC it gets connected.
Yet it works for others (for myself as well), I admit I was surprised when it kept connecting to my work and home computer, but since changing the settings, it no longer does this. (Wired or not) I'm not going to go through the 30 point price check (I really have no clue what your PC settings are like, nor am I sure of what options you enabled in Link, if any) I would look at your system tray and left click BlackBerry Device Manager and Click on Options. Ensure all boxes under Options are unchecked.

Verdict - User Error

Quote:
Unfortunately the are no chargers in my house except for the PB cradle. And I had not planned to get sockets and cables cut into my walls just to accomodate for the Z10. Surely the wife would be pleased. But the cradles used to live near the MPC/ business PC and have a connection to USB.
You have the original charger that came with the PlayBook (It is on the list of approved chargers for the Z and Q. You can use that, or continue to use a USB to computer charge (slower, but still works). I only use the PB charger, unless I am at work, and just need a top up, then USB is fine.

I'm not sure where all of your chargers went, but you have USB option and you can also use PB charger. A third party OEM charger needing drivers to be installed sounds weird, but shouldn't effect your computer operation.

Quote:
It unfortunately does happen in 100% of attempts to connect on one of the PCs
If the problem is only happening with one of your computers, would it not make sense that maybe your installation is faulty, or some of the BlackBerry services are not initializing? I can be 100% sure that something is off with that computer, as it would be happening with all your computers if the device was at fault.

Windows? Ctrl+Alt+Del (Task Manager) Close all BlackBerry processes running. Make sure Link, B Device Manager and all other BlackBerry services do NOT start up on boot. Restart your computer and connect your device to it.

Quote:
Had seen them too but the reviews were not exciting neither was the design.
You asked if they were available. I believe I have shown that they are. Your thoughts on ergonomics and style and ease of use are consumer related questions.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #16
ZombieBerry

Quote:
Well firmware/software gets created by... you guess, humans. So, if it was possible to code an exception/interrupt on one device it will be possible to do that on a second device too. And there is a clear notification to the device if it is charging or not as the screen does give it away. I could not see a major holdup on implementing functions like this if you had been capable to get a whole OS knitted including an user interface, a whole software infra structure and not to forget a whole web infrastructure on top.

And yes I am only starting to experiment with the BB10. Hence my inexperience. You have to apologise. But I have "burned my fingers" a bit on early adoptions prior. The 9500 was a bit of a love/hate affair. Great hardware, the software was to start with very questionable. Though many had complained about the hardware, I could not. Any fault I experienced was clearly on the software side.
Uhmmmm yeah, look. What NJ posted. I would take a trip down to General Support Forums - BlackBerry Support Community Forums and discuss it with them. You could also hit crackberry.com

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 06-01-2013 at 10:08 AM..
Old 06-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
bombinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Again, complain to BlackBerry at [link at previous post] - I am sure there are others who feel the same way there.
You would bet so and guess what, my complaint got wiped 5h after posting.
Though I must admit I was a bit offensive by asking if Blackberry does not provide the infrastructure anymore what would stop firms from integrating the BB into the possibly already in place Office365. With the possible outcome that the next generation of devices should be logically Mob Win since they are designed to work with this infrastructure.

But that is a different story.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

And when discussing the Z10, ALWAYS remember the new corporate motto - Keep Moving. To me, that means "we left out a lot of stuff you liked, but too bad".

I think the suggestions of finding the best device for you - by you - is the best advice.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
bombinho

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
And when discussing the Z10, ALWAYS remember the new corporate motto - Keep Moving. To me, that means "we left out a lot of stuff you liked, but too bad".

I think the suggestions of finding the best device for you - by you - is the best advice.
Wow, I did interprete this as a slight crack in your burning love for Blackberry.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #20
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Burning love? What are you smoking?
I stopped using a BlackBerry exclusively when they stopped innovating. About two years ago. I keep hoping that they will come up with something I can use, but that doesn't seem to be in the card.

I went and found a device that works for me. You should pay attention to what people are saying rather than interpreting.
Closed Thread