Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 01:11 PM   #1
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t your world. Delivered.
Default RIM should sell 8100's direct

Please Login to Remove!

RIM should follow one of Palm's, SE's and Nokia's positives and sell both unlocked and various carrier versions of the 8100 direct. Not only does it shift some focus from the carrier to RIM (Accessories, Software, Support) but also gives RIM lots of direct user feedback as it enters into a more consumer market. The carriers will still see big sales from selling their branded 8100's, but many consumers with accounts already with the carriers, and know how to swap a SIM card will enjoy the simple option of ordering direct from RIM.

Also roll out and carrier exclusive sales dates really need to stop. RIM needs to cut though the BS and understand they are in business to sell devices to customers, and that is worth alot more than granting carrier x phones before granting carrier y phones. No one likes that, and if a business or consumer wants a blackberry model they are not going to change carriers to get it. Thats nothing but old phone company games, which dont work when it comes to smartphones.

So RIM.. direct sales starting with the 8100?... DO IT
Old 09-01-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
trigga15

Model: 7290

they would probably sell them for way more expensive than it would be to go buy one direct from tmo and unlock it

I LOVE BEING 16 AND HELPIN ALL THE OLDER PEOPLE
Old 09-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

RIM can really do it right and open up a few direct retail stores. Even more focus for RIM and education for consumers. Like Palm and Nokia opening up flagship stores.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Maybe, Maybe not... Palm doesn't sell the carrier locked models for any more than the carriers do.

Also many would be willing to pay the unlocked price direct from RIM, all for not having to jump thru hoops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigga15
they would probably sell them for way more expensive than it would be to go buy one direct from tmo and unlock it
Old 09-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

My guess is you guys maybe don't have Tmobile. The custom of RIM seems to be to release their new devices exclusive to one major carrier first. I'm sure RIM makes a pretty penny on the that with the carrier banking on adding new subscribers buying new phone model. Its probably also a good deal for RIM because they also get a partner for advertising and promoting their product without lifting a finger. The reality is that just as we here are all excited about the PEARL there are millions of wireless users out their who don't even know what RIM is. But with a mobile carrier heavily pushing their product to the average wireless user its spreads the RIM brand which seems is their goal right now.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:13 PM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

This is the trend with almost all hot new smart phones. Palm does this with each new version of the Treo. Samsung just gave Verizon an exclusive with the i730, Motorola even did it initially with the RAZR, and the list goes on. Let the carriers hype it, build up a buzz, then release it to the frenzied masses. Must be a winning formula because they keep doing it.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
cblackberrynyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Winning formula for who? Not the customer, Not the end user, Not the person RIM, Palm, Nokia, want to keep selling phones to.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:26 PM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

It's a win for the companies that make the devices. Believe it or not, your best interests are not at the top of their proirity list. I would love to see a RIM store, though. Hands on with the different models, knowledgable reps, and a one-stop shopping experience. I'm sure the consumer would pay more at a RIM store than if they bought a subsidised unit from a carrier, but it might be worth it if the premium wasn't too bad. I bought my Treo 650 from Palm online so I could use the GSM non-branded device with my T-Mobile account. My other choices were taking a chance on eBay or switching to Cingular. In the end I did what was in my best interest. I paid full retail but kept my T-Mobile account and got a full warranty. And now I'm staring at my Treo as it gathers dust at the edge of my desk, replaced by the shiney goodness of my Blackberry 7105t.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 8310
PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblackberrynyc
Winning formula for who? Not the customer, Not the end user, Not the person RIM, Palm, Nokia, want to keep selling phones to.
Yawn.

Yet we still buy them. And we get JUST as excited as we would've if we would have had them three weeks earlier.

I sure wish people would remember that the folks on here represent about the upper 5% of all end-users. We SALIVATE over new tech, and have trouble sitting down in our jeans when we hear a new model is about to launch. The general public DOES NOT CARE.

Not to mention that businesses, whom RIM has TRULY catered to, don't care about the newest, coolest thing. Look at all the rock-solid 7290s and 7250s that still occupy corporate workers. Anyone work for a company with 1000+ end-users that HAD to buy the 8700 for each of them when it first came out?

Anyone?

Anyone?

That's my point.

RIM is just NOW getting into the "average joe" consumer market. The bulk of their dough still comes from business sales, and the new products, geared at the "normal user", will come out when they come out. Sorry, but your frustration holds little weight with them.

Would I like to see things hit the market faster? Absolutely! But when they finally DO hit the market, I won't even care that I had to wait an extra two weeks.
Closed Thread