BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 01:58 AM   #1
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint
Default I'm probably gonna screw this up....

Please Login to Remove!

Here's my situation. Los Angeles, Ca. 90024

Backstory...
Currently:

I have three phones on Sprint. (Mines a treo 650, Wife has the Samsung 550 I think, and Daughter #1 has some low end sprint phone. All three are No contract as of Sept 17 2006

And on On Tmobil, (a sidekick 2,) No contract. Bought it to test out, long story. It's mostly my back up and I take it with me on location.

As far a sprint in my zip, LA, RARELY, a dropped call maybe one a week at most.

However email and the internet on the treo 650 sucks. Slow.

The internet on the sidekick, is okay at best to really pretty slow to use. The email on the sidekick not as bad at the treo 650 but tmobil web page user interface and trying to sync it with my Mac has been a galatic pain. (Yes, I got the missing sync for sidekick.) And its absolutely the worst program I've ever used in my computer cell phone life and their company has the worst customer service, (they claim to not be able to do anything except email tech support, (don't get me started), and the program is not being update, they've basically abandoned the platform). Say good bye to that 39 bucks!

First disclaimer:

All of the above is my experience and personal opinion. Not looking to offend any loyal customers or family members who may be connected with the above companies. Just me exercising my first Amend.

Just for the record.

I have read the blackberry facts and Mac section and done some searching.

I am interested in migrating the family to blackberrys, (at least me and the wife), I like the pearl as far as I can tell, and the 8700 too. Not interested in the 71xx series. No offense to those that have them just not for me. I like and would appreciate a camera, Ala. the pearl but it's not mandatory for the wife. (Her words not mine!)

I do run my biz through my cell phone, especially email. When I'm in production I live by email. It's crucial. Also I've read that some of the other blackberry programs are great for me too, so I'm pretty sure the blackberry will be better for me than the treo.

My wife is in love with now contact for running the family schedules and her work and play, too.

We are solely a Mac family. All G4s or G5s.

So, here's my questions.

1. Sprint. Is it the fastest network for blackberrys in Los Angeles?
I ask because if it is, and certain phones become available, (I know sprint takes FOREVER), I don't mind staying with sprint if the network is faster with blackberry use. Its pretty slow with my 650 (Not interested in the treo 700 yet I heard they were faster on sprint.) Guess I need some network differences schooling...

2. If I do jump the, sprint ship, which is the fastest network in Los Angeles for Blackberry use?

I know tmobil cheaper than cingular but they borrow their bandwidth right? Not worried about the price difference, but that might be naive of me...

3. As I said the wife, loves Now contact Now up-to-date/schedule. So... Which blackberry and program will work best for her with her Mac? I know about the pocket mac but have read where they too are slow to update to version 4. Don't want to get into another missing sync at any price, (even if it's free...)

I could see going to tmobil they will have the 8100 and currently the 8700, (yeah I know you guys all know that). But I don't know enough about their network to know if the email and web will be any faster than sprint WHEN USING THE BLACKBERRYS...

I searched and read that there may be a 87xx on sprint. (Soon I hope).

So there it is.

If you could share your experience with me I would be greatly appreciative.

Boy Genius? Did I cover it all?

Thanks in advance.

C5
Old 08-25-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
adperdue
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: wheel
Carrier: ATT

Wirelessly posted (BB 7100g: BlackBerry7100/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I have a 7100g, no offence taken, on jugular, uh, Cingular, and am in and out of la about once a month. As far as I can see, the bandwidth speeds are hardware problems, not carrier network problems. I think if you stay with sprint in the la area you should be fine. As far as syncing is concerned, if you want BBs, and I may be wrong so don't take it as gospel, but BB desktop manager doesn't work on Mac. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong? Hope this helps.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

PocketMac for Blackberry is free and works great. Setup takes about 30 seconds (but requires a restart). They support Now Up-To-Date and Contact as well as Entourage, iCal, and some others.

Last edited by rambo47; 08-25-2006 at 03:53 PM..
Old 08-25-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
adperdue
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: wheel
Carrier: ATT

I stand, ok am sitting at the moment, corrected.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
chad5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: sprint
Default Thank for responding... Anyone else?

Guys thanks for your responses, anyone else care to chime in on the, "fastest network" for use with blackberrys in Los Angeles or in gereral?"

Boy Genius? Brutha can you spare a few brain cells? Throw a little education my way???

Old 08-25-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

That is a tough call. I frequent West LA, reside near East LA and work in the San Gabriel Valley. All carriers seem to have excellent coverage (T-Mo has come on strong in the past few years). I have a few buds who swear by Sprint as it was the only service capable of reception in their underground UCLA labs. Nextel had always given me poor range, even after the Sprint buyout. EDGE can be found nearly everywhere in the Greater LA area. Not so with EV-DO. Your theoretical bitrate transfer (EV-DO vs. EDGE) may be higher, but you may not realize that higher transfer rate in the areas which you roam. How you maintain your device is also important to the perceived speed of the network. I opted out of my Sprint contract and made a conscious decision to go with Cingular three months ago. See the last page of BENCHMARK your BlackBerry speed! and note that I returned some of the highest, if not the highest device benchmark across any platform, of any device. Your perceived advantage in speed may easily be negated by a poorly maintained device.