Old 12-13-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
Thinqer

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Numbers not names showing in SMS list

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

Have had a 9700 for a couple of months now (upgraded from Pearl 8100) and all has been well until last night when Desktop Manager updated the OS on my 9700 to 5.0.0.351 (I can't remember which version was on there before but would have been the default OS supplied by T-Mobile UK when purchased 2 months ago).

I store my contacts in Outlook with spaces separating the number groups in the phone numbers. So, for instance, I would store 02071234567 as +44 20 7123 4567 and mobiles would be +44 7958 123 456 (instead of 07958123456).

This has worked fine in the past and the names show up against SMS and MMS in the message lists on both my Pearl and on this 9700; that is until I updated it last night...

Now in my message list I just see the number against the SMS and no name. If I go into the contact list and remove the spaces then the name appears against the SMS in the list as per normal. If I go back and re-insert the spaces then the name disappears in the SMS list and I just get the number again (no spaces).

This is massively annoying as it's worked perfectly in the past! As far as I'm aware I've not changed any other settings and have never specifically had to select any option to recognise the spaces... Has something changed with the new OS?

Strangely enough a friend of mine who has an original Pearl showed me the same problem a few months ago and asked me if I had the same issue on my Pearl, which at the time I didn't. I laughed at him then but now I rue the day...

So, has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know the solution? Any help would be muchly appreciated!

Oh, and I deleted the contacts DB from my phone and re-synched with Outlook and that didn't help. Next step could be a full wipe but am keen to avoid that if poss.

Many thanks!

Thinqer
Old 12-13-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

I guess the search function on these forums is broken again.

There have been reports of the issue for some time. The issue is fixed in the latest leaked OS versions (.405, .415 and .421), but none of those versions have been officially released by a carrier. FWIW, I have been running OS .415 for about a week now with no problems. It fixed the SMS name/number issue and a few other nagging things.

Last edited by fonejunkie; 12-13-2009 at 06:42 AM..
Old 12-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Thinqer

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

My apologies - I did do a quick search on the forum but nothing turned up in the first page of results... Very bad form to post a question that's already been answered so sorry for that.

Thanks for the info on the new OSs though... May have to look into trying one of them. What are the downsides of installing an OS that hasn't been distributed by your own carrier?

Many thanks,

Thinqer
Old 12-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

There aren't any downsides.. All of the software is written by RIM, and tested and released by the carriers. Beta (unreleased) versions come with a bit more risk as they may not be fully vetted and tested. And the worst thing that happens is your downgrade the OS.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #5
shanester

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Where can .415 be downloaded?
Old 12-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Using the "search" feature, found in red at the top of every page, I found this thread - http://www.blackberryforums.com/beta...15-leaked.html
Closed Thread