BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
Sleam
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon
Default Blackberry Curve and iPod Touch vs. iPhone 3G?

Please Login to Remove!

I have been using the Blackberry Curve (8330) on Verizon for a while now, but keep finding myself awwing at the iPhone 3G.

Question: Does anyone use a Curve and iPod Touch combo to get rid of this "aww"?

I don't know if I should go to the iPhone completely.

Thanks in advance!

-Sleam
Old 02-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #2
jrice8002003
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A

the iphone does have some definite appeal, but how long would it take for that to wear off if you were to get one? my guess is not long. my view on the issue is this: iphone = novelty, blackberry = practicality. if you've grown accustomed to your 8330 and you switch to the iphone, what happens if you find yourself wanting to switch back? could be a pretty pricey little process for you by the time it's all said and done.

if you're up for a new phone, how about the storm? a lot of its features have that "wow" factor, and you wouldn't have to switch carriers.

my answer is obviously loaded with blackberry bias, but anything to help prevent someone from switching over to the evil iphone!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Great post above me.
In simple terms, go to the store and play with the iphone device. It begins with your touchscreen preferences.

Iphone has the best browser. For Email,you have the best now.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:26 AM   #4
DyMndSkiR
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 22F1E255
Carrier: AT&T

It also depends on how you will be using the iPod Touch.

Is this something you will be using throughout most of the day? Do you need the functionality of a Blackberry or do you really only use it for text messaging? I think we would need a little more information to really help you with it.

For me personally, I only use an iPod when I am driving, which is maybe between 1 and 3 hours a day. In this case, I have a curve (8310), and an old iPod nano that I will upgrade to a touch when it kicks the bucket. It will work fine for me because of my needs for an iPod, which are minimal. The increased functionality of an iPod Touch will be nice for when I travel, but for a typical day, I don't use it very much. It really depends on your situation which would be the best way for you to go.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:46 AM   #5
dasunst3r
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Ick, I wouldn't want to carry two devices in my pocket. The BlackBerry does have a built-in media player, although you need to buy a microSD card to take advantage of that capability. As someone said, it is a matter of practicality -- if I bought all the devices I awed at, I'd be broke.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #6
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: ney for your thoughts
Carrier: Sprint

I guess I'm the first poster that meets your criteria: I own the BlackBerry Curve and the iPod Touch. I love both devices, but if I could only have one of them, it'd be my Curve. It is the more productive of the two, and I can use its media functions if need be. However, being able to own both, if I'm in a WiFi spot and want to do some serious web browsing, the Safari browser with my iPod is hard to beat. Plus, I like to watch movies from time to time on my iPod, which I can't see myself doing a lot on my Curve. For moderate to heavy texting though, nothing supplants the hardware keyboard, in my experience. So between these two devices, I can do just about anything I want to do electronically, and with pleasure. I would go with the combo before I'd go with the iPhone, hands down.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
asd6845
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: occhio

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
I guess I'm the first poster that meets your criteria: I own the BlackBerry Curve and the iPod Touch. I love both devices, but if I could only have one of them, it'd be my Curve. It is the more productive of the two, and I can use its media functions if need be. However, being able to own both, if I'm in a WiFi spot and want to do some serious web browsing, the Safari browser with my iPod is hard to beat. Plus, I like to watch movies from time to time on my iPod, which I can't see myself doing a lot on my Curve. For moderate to heavy texting though, nothing supplants the hardware keyboard, in my experience. So between these two devices, I can do just about anything I want to do electronically, and with pleasure. I would go with the combo before I'd go with the iPhone, hands down.
I totally agree with Jack, but that is mainly due to my need to be able to e-mail and text is why I have a curve. The touch screens are cool, but very unfriendly when it comes to having to do a lot of texting and emails (IMO).

A little off the subject, but if the rumor is true, they say the 2nd Gen iPod Touch has BT built in but only setup for the Nike thing. If true, the iPod gets a software update then WHAM!!!... BT tethering
Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
titetanium
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Up
Carrier: t-mobile

I also have a curve and ipod touch as well. And I third what JackG058 said. The ipod touch is a nice device for viewing videos and web browsing (in a wifi zone) on the road to kill time. I don't use it often enough as a serious device for work productivity, though I have tried. Do I think this combo would get rid of the "awww" for the iphone? No. Once your mind is made up, nothing is going to change it, other than experience, and experience is a cruel but effective teacher. That said, I like the ipod touch and having used it, it doesn't make me want to "upgrade" to an iphone.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleam View Post
I don't know if I should go to the iPhone completely.
You can't beat first hand experience. Give it a shot and make up your mind before the return window closes.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
Frontier

I have both. If ATT had better service in my area I would have an Iphone. But I am limited to Verizon and went with a Blackberry. I am very happy with my BB but I too suffer from the awe of the iPhone.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #11
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

I don't carry my Ipod anymore, I have my itunes in my SD card of my BB true media sync and use the wired stereo headset.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #12
ScooterG

Model: E71x
PIN: Up Models Rule.
Carrier: AT&T

I'm another one that has both the Curve and the Touch. The Curve is all business with a little media. I work for 10+ hours a day, so that's very very important to me. The Touch provides much more entertainment value, especially if you've got accessible WiFi. I got the Touch as a gift from someone that didn't really understand how to use it and proceeded to call him from it a few minutes later. Great fun, but the Touch could never replace my Curve during the work day.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
chrisxmathis

PIN: Ask for it.

If you want the "aww factor" of the iPhone and still like your Curve, why not look at a BB Storm? At least with the Storm you can actually send MMS messages...
Old 02-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #14
alb123

PIN: ********

I have a BB Curve 8330. As mentioned a million times on this site, you simply can not compare the messaging (whether Email, SMS or MMS oops!) of the Curve to the iPhone. Cut/Paste are you kidding me? Didn't Apple "invent" that with the original GUI OS that M$ "stole" from them? Web browsing does go to the iPhone - but from what I gather, that's about it.

Now for media, on my 16GB microSD card I currently have: approx. 4000mp3 songs, a few audio books, a few episodes of The Office, the full movie Forgetting Sarah Marshall and a crapload of Pictures/video clips. My brother has the Storm - I put The Office on his to compare. As adequate as they play on my Curve they are even better on the Storm (if u dont mind touchscreen which you must not if you are thinking of going to an iPhone).

Just my 2 cents...BB all the way!

join #blackberry on EFNet today!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
Frontier

I have some concerns with the screen on the storm. From what I have played with at the Verizon store (all non-working models) you click the entire screen... Is that correct? If it is I wonder what the reasoning behind it is. The iPhone is a true touch screen where the storm does have a mechanical click. I would be interested in seeing what the expected life of the storms screen is, and also the life of the iPhone screen.

PS - Please don't flame me for appearing to "hate on" the storm. I have a blackberry, not an iPhone, so I'm in your club not theirs.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #16
jrice8002003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I have some concerns with the screen on the storm. From what I have played with at the Verizon store (all non-working models) you click the entire screen... Is that correct? If it is I wonder what the reasoning behind it is. The iPhone is a true touch screen where the storm does have a mechanical click. I would be interested in seeing what the expected life of the storms screen is, and also the life of the iPhone screen.

PS - Please don't flame me for appearing to "hate on" the storm. I have a blackberry, not an iPhone, so I'm in your club not theirs.
i'd also be interested in hearing others' opinions on this. while playing around with my friend's storm the other day, i was really annoyed at how slowly i had to click the screen when texting from letter-to-letter. i'm a pretty fast texter, and i had to consciously slow down in order for each letter i pressed to register. it's as if there was a lag time between when the screen could register one click before allowing me to click the next letter. i've never been big on touch screens, but this feature alone is a dealbreaker for me and the storm. i haven't texted on an iphone, so i'm not sure how this compares.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #17
marcotor

PIN: My pin? Waterman

Having gone the *other* way, I can say "Your Mileage May Vary" .

My iPhone is a great entertainment device. On a trip where you dont want to lug a laptop, it is quite good for a movie, and the iPod functions are obviously great.

What it didnt do for me, was make my business life any easier. I use tons of minutes, e-mail and text during my work day. Given AT&T's motto of "we're not happy until you're not happy", the assorted 3G issues even in Southern California, and the $150+ bill added up to trying something else.

For me, Sprint Everything and a 8330 works better, and I can type when I am wearing gloves. And add memory capacity without out having to buy a new phone, cut and paste, MMS, etc...

In the end, it doesn't matter much what anyone says, until you give it a try you won't know for sure.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
Baldie
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9360

Quote:
Originally Posted by titetanium View Post
I also have a curve and ipod touch as well. And I third what JackG058 said. The ipod touch is a nice device for viewing videos and web browsing (in a wifi zone) on the road to kill time. I don't use it often enough as a serious device for work productivity, though I have tried. Do I think this combo would get rid of the "awww" for the iphone? No. Once your mind is made up, nothing is going to change it, other than experience, and experience is a cruel but effective teacher. That said, I like the ipod touch and having used it, it doesn't make me want to "upgrade" to an iphone.
I second that. My curve does alot for me as far as day to day productivity and I have the touch to use at the gym or work. I had the "AWWW" feeling about the iphone when it first came out but now that I have the touch to play with, that feeling has gone. The touch is basically the iphone minus the phone anyway, but I have the curve for that plus more. Just think of the touch as an extension to the curve. I don't however carry the touch everywhere I go anyway.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #19
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Wirelessly posted

In regards to the BB Storm, yes you do have to press and click down on the whole screen. BB wanted to have the appeal of a touchscreen but also knew that many of their customers liked the tactile feedback of a physical keyboard. So the idea they came up with seemed like a happy compromise between the two. I have also heard that with their design, the act of having to push down acts as a confirmation of sorts because a gentle swipe can lead to accidental keys being pushed on a traditional touchscreen.

Last edited by Trimix; 02-19-2009 at 10:57 AM..
Old 02-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #20
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ney for your thoughts

I just got a chance to play with the Storm yesterday, as my uncle and aunt both have one now. I must say I was impressed, and I felt that the onscreen keyboard was actually pretty nice, as was the screen responsiveness itself. If I were willing to give up the hardware keyboard, and the Storm was on Sprint, I can see myself moving over to it. However, I'll still take my Curve and iPod Touch combo, and look forward to the Bold on Sprint.
Closed Thread