Old 12-06-2008, 03:38 AM   #1
DennyKyser
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Call Quality on Curve

Please Login to Remove!

I am with verizon if it matters, but wanting to know about call quality on the curve.
I had one last week, and returned it when I was unable to get it to sync with my pc, and customer support was unable to help me.

I picked up the Samsung Omnia and windows mobile 6.1 is so hard to read, and the touch screen is very hard to get the hang of.

I really need a phone with good calander, email, weather and call quality. Web browsing is not critical.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:57 AM   #2
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I have a Curve on AT&T and have never been happier. Best call quality and signal strength of any phone I have owned.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:35 AM   #3
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I've probably owned 10 or 12 phones over the past 15 years, including a few different model blackberry's and a win mobile phone. The curve is easily the best I've owned. Call quality, signal strength, calendar, voice dialing, email, contacts, tasks all great. Various free weather apps work very well, and if you care to spend a bit you can get fancier ones. Messaging is superb with either the built-in bbmessenger or BeeJiveIM (excellent). RSS feeds work very well with a tool like Viigo. Web browsing is not as slick as an iPhone, but it's adequate and very usable. Search, google maps, etc - all work well.

If Verizon customer svc couldn't get the device to sync with your PC, then either the setup or the phone had problems - I'm guessing it just wasn't configured properly. Blackberry has to be one of the most robust software-based commercial devices I've seen in the market.

- Jon
Old 12-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
DennyKyser

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks guys, I have a feeling I will be returning the Samsung Omnia today and getting another curve.

The sync issue is not verizon, BB admits there is a small percentage of people who have the sync issue, it has something to do with Outlook 07, but what throws them is the small percentage that it effects, yet its enough people that they know it is a real issue. It syncs with other PC's in my business, but the one I need it doesnt yet.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
semaj112

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint
Default BB Curve

I have the Curve 8830 with Sprint service. Extremely happy, syncs flawlessly with Outlook, and is more refined than my 7100i.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
bnmcamp

Model: 8830
PIN: 30448ADC
Carrier: Alltel

Wirelessly posted

Alltel curve here. I love this phone best phone I have ever owned
Old 12-06-2008, 11:39 AM   #7
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyKyser View Post
Thanks guys, I have a feeling I will be returning the Samsung Omnia today and getting another curve.

The sync issue is not verizon, BB admits there is a small percentage of people who have the sync issue, it has something to do with Outlook 07, but what throws them is the small percentage that it effects, yet its enough people that they know it is a real issue. It syncs with other PC's in my business, but the one I need it doesnt yet.
Outlook 2007 has to be the flakiest version yet, and can be especially horrible under Vista -- this is like a virus attacking a virus. Even worse, if you attempt to use Outlook 2007 as an IMAP client, it will seize up - often several times a minute - trying to resynch itself with the IMAP server. You may also find that many problems with Outlook come from the various Add-ons that may be installed - whether you were aware of them or not. For example, iTunes installs an add-on to Outlook, and I don't recall it ever asking permission to do so. Outlook add-ons are probably the first place to look when the program is behaving badly.

I've been an Outlook user for years, and in a corporate setting pretty much had to use it as a corp standard with Exchange Server. But recently I decided to buck the trend. I moved our company over to Google Apps Premiere, and we're using the premiere edition of GMail as our mail and calendar server. Most of the company is using Outlook with this, with google calendar synch keeping Outlook and the Google cloud in sync, and the blackberry google calendar sync applet in use for those who use blackberry's.

I have personally switched over to Thunderbird recently at work as an Outlook replacement. I've added Lightning and the Google calendar provider, and Zindus to sync my Thunderbird address book with Google's address book. Now with the new release of google's calendar sync for blackberry, my contacts are also in sync between the PC (Thunderbird), Google and the blackberry.

The more I use Thunderbird, the more I like it. Outlook has a few bells & whistles that Thunderbird doesn't have, but for the most part Thunderbird is a pleasure to use. With my current setup, the only thing that doesn't sync wirelessly are Tasks. Overall - this is the best configuration I've used since moving away from BES to BIS. Works very well - no glitches at all so far.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
rmangu

Model: 8310

I think the curve gives the best clarity and volume of any phone I have ever used. Having said that, the carrier is very important. I reccommend AT&T for the best coverage.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #9
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Agree. My Curve is the best call quality I've ever had on a mobile.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Yes - I have to agree - of all my phones over the past 15 years, the Curve has the best call quality in my experience.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #11
JackG058
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ney for your thoughts
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmangu View Post
I think the curve gives the best clarity and volume of any phone I have ever used. Having said that, the carrier is very important. I reccommend AT&T for the best coverage.
That best coverage statement is subjective. In Kansas City, I can tell you hands down Sprint has the best coverage. My personal phone is my Curve and it is on Sprint. I too agree the call quality is the best I've experienced. My work supplied phone is a Treo 750 on AT&T. I get decent reception overall, but find far more places where my signal is suspect than I do with Sprint here. Oh, I used to be on Verizon for work and it too is subpar to Sprint in this area.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
ghpk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Reliance India

i Use 8330 on Reliance in India, and call/voice quality is much better than a normal handset on the same network.

There are other operators offering Blackberry services, but Reliance has the most widely spread network, which made me go with a 8330 and Iam loving it.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #13
Loudmouth

Carrier: Alltel

I picked up the curve dec 3 and love it to death is the best phone I have ever owned.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #14
VIOLATOR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
PIN: Pulled - 1, 2, 3 run!

If you are having problems synching with 07 Outlook - you can import/export to both Google and to Yahoo accounts.

I work between 3 different computers and keep all my address info and calender on those.

Additionally there are apps such as reqall https://www.reqall.com/web/registration

which you can use to set appointments and appointment reminders via e-mail and/or text message.

David
Closed Thread