Model: 8530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint Relay

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
I am assuming this link needs updating.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...d-hearing.html
yeah, it definitely needs to updated...BB's have been updated so fast we can't keep up!

Last edited by punkinbee59; 02-17-2010 at 01:36 AM..
Old 02-18-2010, 07:25 AM   #22
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkinbee59 View Post
yeah, it definitely needs to updated...BB's have been updated so fast we can't keep up!
Punkinbee, could you update that thread for us?
Old 02-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #23
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
In addition, it may be helpful to familiarize us with any accessories or apps which are specific to the HOH population

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #24
Pisces
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telstra - Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Pisces, you've been around a long time.

Help me understand the need for a subforum.
What does that accomplish?
Why is it any different than say a subforum for users with red hair?
Won't a subforum only limit the audience for Deaf/HoH users?

What am I missing here and how will a subforum help anyone deaf or HoH?
I'm amazed my account to this forum still existed as I did really forgotten what was my screen name or which email address I did used to registered this site... Thanks goodness when I registered a new account and used one of my email address and discovered my old account still exist. So at least a new account didn't go ahead...

I couldn't find my old posts as it seems the old threads no longer exists way back in 2005.

With having a subforum for Deaf/HOH. There will be more understanding of deaf needs ie: issues with relay service on blackberry, voice to text voice message.

Even having a help with setting up closed captions on blackberry.

Quote:
Won't a subforum only limit the audience for Deaf/HoH users?
No, but I'm sure there are hearing people who know deaf person or have a deaf relative of theirs would look up in subforum to find more information about blackberry for Deaf/HOH and forward it to deaf person or their deaf relative, even a CODA (a Hearing "Child of Deaf Adult") would find it is benefit to use subforum to share with their Deaf parents.

And also I'm sure hearing people would be interested to learn extra other side of blackberry.

I see other members in this thread have covered rest of it.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:57 PM   #25
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

Deaf as wood post here.

Don't seem to be enough demand for it.

I love this forum!
Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #26
punkinbee59

Carrier: Sprint Relay

Quote:
Quote:
Punkinbee, could you update that thread for us?
wished I could figure out how to do a quote within a quote, but this will do~

Sanders: I'm just brand new to the BB world, so I won't be much help I'm afraid...as I just got my BB in January. I was hoping the guy who started it would still be around to update any information since his last post back in what, 2006?

I'll do what I can to find cool apps and accessories for the deaf/HOH folks...but I'm not as good as the other guy is! :D
Old 03-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #27
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

Every contribution helps!

I think the FAQ does need to be updated as after I looked through the HOH part and checked others, the part that mentions why BlackBerrys are great is quite old as it mentions devices from 4 or more years ago, and in the technology world that's like a 40 years, haha.
blue.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #28
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Sanders: I'm just brand new to the BB world, so I won't be much help I'm afraid...as I just got my BB in January. I was hoping the guy who started it would still be around to update any information
He is no longer available. Well, actually he is, but for some reason he has chosen not to update it.

Anyways, that person existed very nicely in the forum here, he is without hearing, and never really said he needed his own separate forum section. He mixed very nicely with all others.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:22 AM   #29
Pisces

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telstra - Australia

Quote:
He is no longer available. Well, actually he is, but for some reason he has chosen not to update it.

Anyways, that person existed very nicely in the forum here, he is without hearing, and never really said he needed his own separate forum section. He mixed very nicely with all others.
Mark Rejhon, is a member of a Deaf forum that I go to (I'm not under Pisces screen name in Deaf forum)... I haven't seen his posts for a while since last year. I do remember he did provided good information for Deaf people to use Blackberry.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 PM   #30
Grogg

I'd say it be a good idea to have a subforum for deaf/hh BB users. That way any ideas, suggestions, and experiences from them could be pooled under in an identified subforum for easier references and tracking. It's not about excluding anybody since anyone can join a subforum. Doesn't matter. A hearing person could have a boyfriend/girlfried who is deaf, a spouse who is deaf, a mother, father, sister, or brother who may have a hearing loss, a friend or whatever. Odds are that you know somebody who is deaf or hard of hearing.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #31
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogg View Post
I'd say it be a good idea to have a subforum for deaf/hh BB users. That way any ideas, suggestions, and experiences from them could be pooled under in an identified subforum for easier references and tracking. It's not about excluding anybody since anyone can join a subforum. Doesn't matter. A hearing person could have a boyfriend/girlfried who is deaf, a spouse who is deaf, a mother, father, sister, or brother who may have a hearing loss, a friend or whatever. Odds are that you know somebody who is deaf or hard of hearing.
Most people on this forum can't post in the right section anyhow, so I still hold to my opinion.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #32
Grogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Most people on this forum can't post in the right section anyhow, so I still hold to my opinion.
This isn't about "special treatment" but about like experiences and how those experiences could be improved upon. Has Mark Rejhon commented on this idea of a subforum rather than assume his stance?
Old 04-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #33
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
This isn't about "special treatment" but about like experiences and how those experiences could be improved upon. Has Mark Rejhon commented on this idea of a subforum rather than assume his stance?
Your post is completely unrelated to mine.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #34
Grogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Your post is completely unrelated to mine.
You made a comment a few postings back about "special treatment."

It was Post #12 I was referring to earlier.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #35
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
If you or pumpkin or anyone wants to start a specific thread and update it with experiences, tips, applications, etc., for HOH users, please do.
I'll personally make sure it gets Stickied in an appropriate forum.

I'm not sold on having a specific forum for the HOH, or for any other subgroup of users based on similar abilities.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #36
Grogg

Quote:
If you or pumpkin or anyone wants to start a specific thread and update it with experiences, tips, applications, etc., for HOH users, please do.
I'll personally make sure it gets Stickied in an appropriate forum.

I'm not sold on having a specific forum for the HOH, or for any other subgroup of users based on similar abilities.
RIM is pretty much sold on users' experience of those with certain accessibility issues they may have otherwise we would not see what's in page 2 of the Blackberry Java Application Accessibility guide signaling a change in RIM'S philosophy on accessibility use of BBs. docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/11936/JDE_5.0_AccessibilityGuide_Beta.pdf

When you design your BlackBerry device application, consider the following users:

Quote:
blind people
visually impaired people
colorblind people
deaf people
hearing impaired people
speech impaired people
people with motor impairments
people with cognitive or learning disabilities

Like any other group of users, people with disabilities or impairments have needs, wants, and expectations about the behavior of applications. Some of the reasons to make your applications accessible to as many users as possible include the following possible benefits:
Social responsibility: Making it easier for people with disabilities or impairments to benefit from the functionality that your application provides can promote equality and is the right thing to do.
Market share: Ensuring that your application can be used by people with disabilities or impairments increases the number of people who can purchase and benefit from your application.
Compliance: Addressing the applicable guidelines and regulatory requirements (such as Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act in the United States) that dictate that your application must be accessible by people with disabilities or impairments can allow you to enter certain markets.
It's not about "similar abilities" but about ordinary people who must operate in an environment differently than others who take their own environment for granted. It's good to see RIM's changing attitude and philosophy regarding accessibility issues. This is not about creating a subforum just for "deaf people" since it is common that deaf people have multiple conditions or "handicaps" such as deaf and blind, mobility impaired, visually impaired with learning impairments and so on, but a subforum for people who would like to share similar experiences regarding their BBs, or those who would like see something come out of RIM for their BBs that would address certain accessibility needs. Creating such a subforum would also allow people to quickly find their area of interest and submit their questions or experiences rather than do a search every time just to find a discussion thread.

Last edited by Grogg; 04-12-2010 at 03:19 AM..
Old 04-12-2010, 06:27 AM   #37
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

So, please start a thread and let's measure how much interest it gets. We always have opportunities for the future. Let's see how warranted this is now.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:23 PM   #38
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
You made a comment a few postings back about "special treatment."

It was Post #12 I was referring to earlier.
Then quote the right post.